Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (
-   -   Ruger 10/22 FTE (

Commocarl 05-01-2012 12:25 AM

Ruger 10/22 FTE
I have a new all weather 10/22 and had several ejection problems on my first use on saturday. Out of about 100 rounds I had about 12 FTEs, only 2 were stovepipes, the rest the spent shell was just still in the receiver. I have 3 factory 10 round mags, and all of them had trouble. I used Federal bulk pack and Blazer bulk pack ammo as I wanted to try both jacketed and unjacketed rounds, and both gave issue. While cleaning it before my first outing I noticed the action was hard and gritty. I retracted the spring, cleaned the shaft then relubed the whole thing. The action felt alot better afterwards. Anyone have any ideas?

smoooth308 05-01-2012 12:34 AM

Possibly the ejector but I might be wrong.
Someone with more knowledge will chime in

big shrek 05-01-2012 03:12 AM

What you probably needed to do first was a full-out field strip and cleaning...
get ALL the leftover metal shavings/cosmoline/other gunk out...

With a new gun I'll usually sit on the couch and rack the slide 100-200 times while watching tv, then clean again after.

when you lube the gun, be sparing inside the barrel...and run dry patches thru until totally DRY...
because Oil+Heat+Pressure=GLUE ;)

mountainman13 05-01-2012 03:25 AM

It sounds like an extractor issue. You sure you put it back together right?
Take a close look at the extractor.
(did I really type ejector?)

hardluk1 05-01-2012 01:20 PM

Brand new rifle right. You did take it down for a good solid cleaning and lubeing be very sure about the chamber . New rifle, buy a couple100 pack of quality ammo and run it thru next like CCI mini-mags. If you still have a problem it time to ether ,send it back for a tune up or install a after market extractor like from power custom. Also buy a dental pick to help with cleaning the bolt face and extractor recess areas as crud builds up. Many of us also will dril a 3/8" hole in the rear of the reciever to aid in clening from the camber end.
Just shoot some faster harder recoiling rounds and if it runs well then test the bulk junk. May be nothing more than needing to break everthing in some.

fstkmaro 05-02-2012 03:43 AM

With Ruger guns it is better to clean thoroughly before use. Like many point out it sounds like an extractor issue. Mine does not like the blazer a lot. It will shoot it but I woud get some FTEs or stovepipes. The mini mags work great as do the federals on mine. I have the takedown version.

Fathead00 05-02-2012 08:17 PM

I just bought my Ruger 10/22 from Gander Mountain. I haven't shot it yet!!:(

Commocarl 05-03-2012 03:17 AM

Hey all, thanks for all the tips and responses.

I didn't want to respond till I had something to report. I did field strip and clean the rifle before I used it. I have just field stripped and recleaned the rifle, all of it. Nothing looks out of place. I watched the Ruger disassembly/cleaning/reassembly videos and made shure the ejector was in the proper place on reassembly, I never removed the extractor during cleaning (never mentioned taking apart the bold assembly on the videos).

I exercised all the parts, extractor, bolt, bolt hold latch, hammer. all seem to be working well. I can see why some have suggested polishing the receiver, it feels kind of rough. What do you use for polishing? I didn't notice any excess trash from the previous oiling. I oiled it like I oil my mini, dab of oil on a rag then buff it across the parts. This last time, I put a small drop on my finger and used that to buff into the bolt, bolt handle assembly and what was left on the bore face. Nothing for the receiver (still don't know about that).

I am going to "air it out" again on saturday, so I think I will take hardluk1's advice and put some faster rounds through.

Oh, I use an Otis cleaning kit with a cable rod (got that because of the mini) I only pull it the way the bullet travels through the rifle.

Commocarl 05-03-2012 03:26 AM

Fathead00, it is a wonderful little rifle, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Snakedriver 05-03-2012 02:28 PM

I can't believe nobody mentioned a Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor. All my 10/22's have them installed. They cost about $11 and take maybe 5-minutes to install. You'll never have another extraction problem and it'll be the best $11 you ever spent.

I get mine at Gun Kings, they don't charge any shipping for them. Here's their link: enid=2p31d1fmo2i8tduugqhb73gc95

I always have received fast shipping from them. :cool: