Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ruger 10/22 firing pin possible issue.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 325 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Default Ruger 10/22 firing pin possible issue.

I dry fired my brand new ruger 10/22 carbine and was inspecting the firing pin and it seems it is bent to the right a bit. The below picture shows what it looks like from the angle of the magazine. Is this normal? I doubt 3 dry fires would bend a pin but ya never know. I plan to never dry fire any of my guns but after cleaning, I like to make sure everything is good.

Here is another angle from the ejection port.

As you can see the pin is bent to the right a bit. It is not straight in the slit of the firing pin. Haven't shot my 22 yet, going to this weekend

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2013, 03:14 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

No its not bent. the firing pin on rugers is generally shaved at the end so it looks like it is pushed to the side. It is done that way so the pin hits center top of the rim of the bullet. If you are worried about dry firing use snap caps. The older models had a straight V notched into them but they tended to hit top right on the bullet and sometimes didn't fire. Pinning the firing pin will help keep the firing pin down and center and keep it from drifting away from center. VQ and other brand pins have a much sharper shave of he pin to keep it top center.

Here's the deal -- I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence!!!

Spud9 Gunworks Inc.
www.spud9gunworks.com

Old 02-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 325 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud9 View Post
No its not bent. the firing pin on rugers is generally shaved at the end so it looks like it is pushed to the side. It is done that way so the pin hits center top of the rim of the bullet. If you are worried about dry firing use snap caps. The older models had a straight V notched into them but they tended to hit top right on the bullet and sometimes didn't fire. Pinning the firing pin will help keep the firing pin down and center and keep it from drifting away from center. VQ and other brand pins have a much sharper shave of he pin to keep it top center.
Thanks for the reply. I will check it out if I go shooting this weekend. Really itching to fire this thing for the first time. Stupid range RIGHT BY my house is still not open after they said they would be. Must be having problems getting ammo etc etc.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...