Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Ruger 10/22 Customization Help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/ruger-10-22-customization-help-57621/)

JackofTrades 02-13-2012 04:29 AM

Ruger 10/22 Customization Help
 
Alright to start I am new to any of this, I've never put aftermarket upgrades into any gun before, but I would like to start. This all got kinda started when I went to the range today and found out they have .22 LR matches there so I was thinking that maybe I should upgrade a lot of the parts on my 10/22 and I'll have a decent gun to use in competitions.

Now I have no idea what manufacturers for the parts are good, or where to even look to get theses parts at a good price. So I'm hoping you guys can help me out with a lot of this. I got this ruger 10/22 carbine off this site when they were giving it to a lucky person. I haven't gotten to shoot it too much since I haven't been at home since I am still a college student, but summer is approaching and I would like to start turning this thing into something I can bring to a competition. I don't plan on doing this all at once, this will probably be something I do gradually over time.

Now on to the good stuff. In order of most important to me to least this is what I want to do to my gun:

1) First and foremost, I want to change that trigger around, that has way too much pull before it goes off. From what I've read before I just have to replace the hammer.

2) Next I would like to put a heavier barrel on there. If possible too longer than the stock barrels.

3) Sights are another big one, I would like to get a peephole sight for the rear sight, and if possible a target sight for the front. I am on the rifle team at my school and I'm used to having the two circle target sights. I'm not sure what type of sights the place near me allows so I'll have to call them to get more info.

4) Stock isn't too important but I would be nice to get a better quality and more comfortable stock.

There are other things that I would like to replace, but not too sure where they would fall on importance or how much of a performance increase I would see, things like the receiver, trigger system, maybe the firing pin.

Any help is more than welcome, sites where I can buy this stuff from, manufactures that I should buy from and ones I should absolutely avoid.

bwalka 02-13-2012 05:16 PM

Brownelles website has everything your looking for plus blueprints and schematics for your 10/22

RaySendero 02-13-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackofTrades (Post 707001)
Alright to start I am new to any of this, I've never put aftermarket upgrades into any gun before, but I would like to start. This all got kinda started when I went to the range today and found out they have .22 LR matches there so I was thinking that maybe I should upgrade a lot of the parts on my 10/22 and I'll have a decent gun to use in competitions.
.....

Jack,

Send it to these guys and it will come back competition custom:

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/

JackofTrades 02-14-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaySendero (Post 707390)
Jack,

Send it to these guys and it will come back competition custom:

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/

I did some looking around that site for awhile, there are just somethings that I would need to call them about to clarify. Like if I send it in there and get the stainless steel fluted barrel do they change the receiver of the gun to. But the prices seem pretty good. Especially if you just send your own 10/22 in.

tommyboy 02-14-2012 11:59 PM

volquartsen makes nice stuff for 10/22s. I have there trigger group, extended bolt handle and mag release. They have lots more too. And for bull barrels, I haven't see to many that have front sight mounts. Mostly for scoped guns.

JTJ 02-15-2012 12:08 AM

What kind of matches are you interested in shooting? Do you need a semi auto/self loader? You might be better off picking up a target 22 bolt action. There are some very competitive and reasonable target rifles available. The 10-22 is a nice little rifle but you could do better money wise with a new rifle.

JackofTrades 02-15-2012 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyboy (Post 708717)
volquartsen makes nice stuff for 10/22s. I have there trigger group, extended bolt handle and mag release. They have lots more too. And for bull barrels, I haven't see to many that have front sight mounts. Mostly for scoped guns.

Yeah, I've been looking at some of these after market barrels and a lot of them do not have a mount for the front sights, which is kind of a deterring but I found out at the place I might just compete locally, they allow scopes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 708726)
What kind of matches are you interested in shooting? Do you need a semi auto/self loader? You might be better off picking up a target 22 bolt action. There are some very competitive and reasonable target rifles available. The 10-22 is a nice little rifle but you could do better money wise with a new rifle.

I just called the range near me today and asked about the competitions they do and they aren't really as much as a competition as they are just people going there to shoot and have fun with the added benefit of competing against each other. Which is why I might not drop any more than $700 into this gun, since I also just like to go and shoot at paper for fun. But if I did decide to go into a serious competition what kind of guns would you recommend.

Txhillbilly 02-15-2012 05:23 AM

For a great trigger job,go no further than this forum for a great deal.Stalkingbear will do you a very good job,and for a very good price.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f53/ruger-10-22-trigger-groups-professionally-reworked-19201/
Send him a PM,and he'll get back with you.

There's a very big selection of aftermarket barrels,it all depends on what you want.I've had good luck with WhistlePig,and Green Mountain barrels,but there are others that are more accurate,but they will cost more.

10/22's are just adult lego sets,you can build whatever you want if you have the cash to do it.

jeepejeep 02-21-2012 02:51 PM

I just installed a Power Custom Competition Hammer on mine last night and the difference in trigger pull is amazing! A crisp and much lighter trigger pull that is so much better than stock with a little time, work and only $35. I got it from Midway as I had a coupon and I was getting other stuff from them anyway. You do have to be careful with some small parts but it's not hard at all.

JTJ 02-21-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackofTrades (Post 709047)
Yeah, I've been looking at some of these after market barrels and a lot of them do not have a mount for the front sights, which is kind of a deterring but I found out at the place I might just compete locally, they allow scopes.



I just called the range near me today and asked about the competitions they do and they aren't really as much as a competition as they are just people going there to shoot and have fun with the added benefit of competing against each other. Which is why I might not drop any more than $700 into this gun, since I also just like to go and shoot at paper for fun. But if I did decide to go into a serious competition what kind of guns would you recommend.

On the budget side, look at the Savage MKII rifles. Triggers are good and they are accurate. If you want the target irons look at the FV-T. The stock on the FVT stinks but you can replace it with the Evolution stock from Boyds for $100. You could do the FVT with Boyds stock for about $450 or less and be looking at .5 moa (1/4") or less at 50 yards with target ammo. If you want a scope just get one of the B series rifles.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:41 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.