Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ruger 10-22 Carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Ruger 10-22 Carbine

This is my first post so go easy!

Based on a friends decades long love affair with his 10-22, I bought my first rifle today, Wally World, $197. I also bought a cheap scope but think I might just want to get proficient without the scope first. I'd like comments on that, as well as suggested accessories to look for, and opinions on ammo for target shooting before I get to small game hunting.

Thanks
12fretter

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations. The 10/22 is a great rifle and I'm sure you'll like it.

You're definitely on the right track, shoot it with open sights and get used to it. You can always add a scope later.

If it didn't come with a scope mount, I think I have one kicking around here that I'll send you.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #3

Thanks very much! It actually came with a scope mount and I did mount the scope, but it was really aggravating. It almost seems that the scope and the mount are not perfectly compatible. I can still site through the sites, under the scope, and resting it perfectly still, it is clear the scope is up and to the left of the gun sites. I don't know if the mount is cheap, or the cheap scope is cheap....ok, asked and answered. Just doesn't seem to be a good design.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Have someone familiar with them take a look at it. There's no point in becoming frustrated. There's plenty of time to be frustrated when you practice shooting it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-05-2011, 03:15 AM   #5

A very fine little rifle. As to ammo I have found that in my Ruger 10/22 and also in my Ruger Mk II .22 LR pistol the most reliable loading for both guns as well as also being fairly cost effective has been the Remington Golden Bullet 40 grain solid nose Rimfire Ammunition - Rifle Ammunition - Golden Bullet 22 Ammunition

I am also about to try some CCI Mini Mags solid points also for accuracy comparison's sake, but the Remingtons sell for a little less and have served me well. I think the slightly heavier solid points produce a little more recoil which serves to run the recoil action of both the 10/22 as well as my pistol a little better~

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson, Proposed Virginia Constitution, 1776, Jefferson Papers 344

Old 04-05-2011, 03:27 AM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
Thanks very much! It actually came with a scope mount and I did mount the scope, but it was really aggravating. It almost seems that the scope and the mount are not perfectly compatible. I can still site through the sites, under the scope, and resting it perfectly still, it is clear the scope is up and to the left of the gun sites. I don't know if the mount is cheap, or the cheap scope is cheap....ok, asked and answered. Just doesn't seem to be a good design.
I believe that the Ruger supplied mount is a dovetail or tipoff type...make sure that your scope has the proper rings, weaver rings may not seat properly.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-05-2011, 03:32 AM   #7

I think I spotted the problem with the scope mount. I didn't check it at first, but the rings were skewed, relative to each other. So when I tried to mount, one tried to twist out as the other was tightened into place. Once I loosened up the rings and the scope was freely rotating, the mounts sat flat.

Another crisis averted.

12FRETTER

Old 04-05-2011, 03:35 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

We've cheated death once again!

Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
This is my first post so go easy!

Based on a friends decades long love affair with his 10-22, I bought my first rifle today, Wally World, $197. I also bought a cheap scope but think I might just want to get proficient without the scope first. I'd like comments on that, as well as suggested accessories to look for, and opinions on ammo for target shooting before I get to small game hunting.

Thanks
12fretter
And every crazy SOB I seen that had one at the gun show I went to saturday was asking $265 average for a base model 10/22.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:04 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My first gun was a 10/22. I put almost 10k rounds through it in about a year. It was a sweet gun when I had it running at peak. I'd go a whole several-hundred-round session with only one ammo-related issue, and by then the action was sometimes gritted-up with sand from shooting on a wind-blown riverbank.

*edit*

And they are lots of fun to trick out :