Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Ruger 10-22 Carbine (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/ruger-10-22-carbine-40800/)

12fretter 04-04-2011 06:48 PM

Ruger 10-22 Carbine

This is my first post so go easy!

Based on a friends decades long love affair with his 10-22, I bought my first rifle today, Wally World, $197. I also bought a cheap scope but think I might just want to get proficient without the scope first. I'd like comments on that, as well as suggested accessories to look for, and opinions on ammo for target shooting before I get to small game hunting.

Thanks
12fretter

CA357 04-04-2011 08:21 PM

Congratulations. The 10/22 is a great rifle and I'm sure you'll like it.

You're definitely on the right track, shoot it with open sights and get used to it. You can always add a scope later.

If it didn't come with a scope mount, I think I have one kicking around here that I'll send you.

12fretter 04-04-2011 11:12 PM

Thanks very much! It actually came with a scope mount and I did mount the scope, but it was really aggravating. It almost seems that the scope and the mount are not perfectly compatible. I can still site through the sites, under the scope, and resting it perfectly still, it is clear the scope is up and to the left of the gun sites. I don't know if the mount is cheap, or the cheap scope is cheap....ok, asked and answered. Just doesn't seem to be a good design.

CA357 04-05-2011 12:01 AM

Have someone familiar with them take a look at it. There's no point in becoming frustrated. There's plenty of time to be frustrated when you practice shooting it. :D

davcolburn 04-05-2011 03:15 AM

A very fine little rifle. As to ammo I have found that in my Ruger 10/22 and also in my Ruger Mk II .22 LR pistol the most reliable loading for both guns as well as also being fairly cost effective has been the Remington Golden Bullet 40 grain solid nose Rimfire Ammunition - Rifle Ammunition - Golden Bullet 22 Ammunition

I am also about to try some CCI Mini Mags solid points also for accuracy comparison's sake, but the Remingtons sell for a little less and have served me well. I think the slightly heavier solid points produce a little more recoil which serves to run the recoil action of both the 10/22 as well as my pistol a little better~

Jpyle 04-05-2011 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12fretter (Post 479561)
Thanks very much! It actually came with a scope mount and I did mount the scope, but it was really aggravating. It almost seems that the scope and the mount are not perfectly compatible. I can still site through the sites, under the scope, and resting it perfectly still, it is clear the scope is up and to the left of the gun sites. I don't know if the mount is cheap, or the cheap scope is cheap....ok, asked and answered. Just doesn't seem to be a good design.

I believe that the Ruger supplied mount is a dovetail or tipoff type...make sure that your scope has the proper rings, weaver rings may not seat properly.

12fretter 04-05-2011 03:32 AM

I think I spotted the problem with the scope mount. I didn't check it at first, but the rings were skewed, relative to each other. So when I tried to mount, one tried to twist out as the other was tightened into place. Once I loosened up the rings and the scope was freely rotating, the mounts sat flat.

Another crisis averted.

CA357 04-05-2011 03:35 AM

We've cheated death once again! :D

nate 04-05-2011 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12fretter (Post 479418)
This is my first post so go easy!

Based on a friends decades long love affair with his 10-22, I bought my first rifle today, Wally World, $197. I also bought a cheap scope but think I might just want to get proficient without the scope first. I'd like comments on that, as well as suggested accessories to look for, and opinions on ammo for target shooting before I get to small game hunting.

Thanks
12fretter

And every crazy SOB I seen that had one at the gun show I went to saturday was asking $265 average for a base model 10/22.:rolleyes:

Lindenwood 04-05-2011 04:04 AM

My first gun was a 10/22. I put almost 10k rounds through it in about a year. It was a sweet gun when I had it running at peak. I'd go a whole several-hundred-round session with only one ammo-related issue, and by then the action was sometimes gritted-up with sand from shooting on a wind-blown riverbank.

*edit*

And they are lots of fun to trick out :) :

http://www.jacobmcdonald.com/guns/10...spear_pt92.jpg