Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Which ruger 10/22 to buy? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/ruger-10-22-buy-58746/)

HGwarhawk 02-25-2012 02:04 PM

Which ruger 10/22 to buy?
 
I am 13 so the lighter the better I was thinking of the tactical or compact

ScottA 02-25-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HGwarhawk (Post 719904)
I am 13 so the lighter the better I was thinking of the tactical or compact

Now you're at the point of go put your hands on them. It is a little impossible for us to tell you which is more comfortable to you. Although an adjustable stock would be a plus considering you're probably going to continue to grow.

hardluk1 02-26-2012 12:57 AM

Don't mess with tackticool if you can help it. Buy the cheapest 10/22 ruger you can find. Chances are an old beater fron the '70's will run just as well as a new one. they can be find around here for 125 bucks. OR buy a marlin 60 or a marlin 795. They more accurate in general than a 10/22 by far. The marlin 795 can also be bought way cheaper too. seems there allways a factory rebate comeing up that makes it a 95 dollar rifle new. Both offer plain ole fun and can feed you down the road. The ruger can allways be turn in to what you want at this time.

Viking 02-26-2012 01:21 AM

10/22's are carbines and as such have short barrels, they are a great weapon however for greater accuracy I'd recommend a longer barreled rifle. See if you can't find an older long barreled Remington pump, a friend of mine has one and it's amazingly accurate, even for an old guy like me.:rolleyes: Thing is a lot of the newer rifles have poly triggers with metal insets for sears and my gunsmith worked on a friends Marlin 22 mag bolt rifle and told me he wasn't too sure how well it would hold up. He was able to make it much smoother with less pressure though and I will say that the Marlin 22 mag bolt rifle off the shelf is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever shot. My friend had an older Marlin 22 mag which had a tube magazine and a steel trigger, my gunsmith friend worked that trigger over because it was way to heavy and afterwords it was great and very accurate as well so that's something to think about, older Marlin's. Very few rifles that I have shot have been tack drivers but Marlin is one, at 100 yards I was enlarging the bulls eye and I never have considered myself all that good of a shooter. The only rifle I've owned that could shoot as well was a Ruger 25-06 bull barrel.

ScottA 02-26-2012 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viking (Post 720543)
10/22's are carbines and as such have short barrels, they are a great weapon however for greater accuracy I'd recommend a longer barreled rifle. See if you can't find an older long barreled Remington pump, a friend of mine has one and it's amazingly accurate, even for an old guy like me.:rolleyes: Thing is a lot of the newer rifles have poly triggers with metal insets for sears and my gunsmith worked on a friends Marlin 22 mag bolt rifle and told me he wasn't too sure how well it would hold up. He was able to make it much smoother with less pressure though and I will say that the Marlin 22 mag bolt rifle off the shelf is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever shot. My friend had an older Marlin 22 mag which had a tube magazine and a steel trigger, my gunsmith friend worked that trigger over because it was way to heavy and afterwords it was great and very accurate as well so that's something to think about, older Marlin's. Very few rifles that I have shot have been tack drivers but Marlin is one, at 100 yards I was enlarging the bulls eye and I never have considered myself all that good of a shooter. The only rifle I've owned that could shoot as well was a Ruger 25-06 bull barrel.

Viking-

He's a 13 year old kid looking for a first gun. Not someone trying to punch dime size groups at 100 yards.

Georgiahunter 02-26-2012 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA

Viking-

He's a 13 year old kid looking for a first gun. Not someone trying to punch dime size groups at 100 yards.

Hey, why not go big? I'm kidding of course but Viking's post was true, and I bet you could get a 10/22 to punch dime sized groups at 100 yards with a heavy barrel, a match grade trigger and ammo, a steady shooting rest, a good scope, and a higher level competition shooter.

HGwarhawk 02-26-2012 02:46 AM

To be honest I'm already set on the ruger 10 22 I was thinking of getting the carbine version. Now is there any upgrades that are strongly recomended for a good price? How much am I looking at for a decent scope?

Viking 02-26-2012 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 720601)
Viking-

He's a 13 year old kid looking for a first gun. Not someone trying to punch dime size groups at 100 yards.

Well now it seems to me that if a rifle is better than the shooter (Like in my case) then it makes one feel pretty good when you can punch dime sized groups at 100 yards than all over the paper and be discouraged. Give a young man a good start with an accurate rifle and it certainly would go a long way toward being hooked forever on shooting. And by the way my friends Marlin was bought at Wal-Mart for $169, cheap mounts from same and an old scope I gave him. I mounted the scope pulled the bolt and bore sited by eye and that rifle made my friend think I was a marksman, which I'm definitely not. So, how do you think it will make a 13 year old feel if he can shoot the center of a target out being limited only by his own abilities.

hardluk1 02-26-2012 03:03 PM

Upgrades to get. Don't let anyone tell you at this point what to buy for upgrades . Theres just soooo many toys for them and most of them work well. Just try get your rifle , learn how in works , find a ammo thats relieable. Then read post running searchs to see how different upgrade pan out. Go to RIMFIRECENTRAL and just scroll thru years of post.

The right ammo compared to one your rifle does not shot well can change group size big time and there is no best ammo when useing lower cost stuff. Some ammo my need feed relieable ether,just trial and error.

You my find you want a sight upgrade or go with a scope or maybe a rear mount reciever sight and front sight upgrade. Look at Tech-Sights for that. For a scope you can get a basic weaver base clean the mounting screw holes good and lock-tite the base in place and get is scope for it. Start looking at wally world with one of the centerpoint scope they sell and go up from there. A basic ruger can be a ball at 25 yards to 50 yards. Over time you can figure out what you may want to change to it. Bet ain't many of use have left much alone in or on our rugers.

Full_Metalix 02-26-2012 05:10 PM

Well I'm personally a huge fan of the Ruger 10/22. It was my first rifle to my memory that I ever used. Like what hardluk said, there are plenty of fun little toys and stocks and sights and mags for them that you can have a ball if you ever get bored of it. I'd personally recommend getting the most basic, cheap model you can get. If you get bored with that throw on red sight or the Ruger 25 round magazine (very reliable and a blast to play with). If you really want to change the look of the rifle though there are so many stocks you can make it look like anything you want. I heartily recommend getting one, even if it is simply because you can make that rifle into a pretty great little target rifle or you could turn it around and make it the best squirrel killer in the world. They're wonderful rifles and would make a great first gun if you ask me.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:26 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.