Ruger 10/22 Bipod... need some help/advice.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ruger 10/22 Bipod... need some help/advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger 10/22 Bipod... need some help/advice.

Just so everyone is clear, I am talking about the K10/22-RPF found on this website:

Ruger® 10/22® Carbine Autoloading Rifle Models

So, since my wife bought her own rifle this week (got herself a M&P 15/22 because it's shorter and lighter), I'm planning on making the modifications that I've been wanting to make for a while, since I no longer have to worry about the gun being light enough for her to use.

I'm planning on getting a bipod for my rifle, and to be honest don't know too terribly much about them. When I went to Cabela's today, I noticed that every single bipod they carried (as far as I can tell) required a swivel mount, which my gun doesn't have.

Now, I DO have a barrel band... is it possible to attach the bipod to that?

Or, for my rifle, do I have to get a front swivel adapter? And if I do, how do I mount that? I'm really not too keen on drilling into the stock of my rifle (Me+Drill=Disaster when it is something of any value).

I was looking for some advice. I'm relatively new to owning my own firearm, so I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to making modifications to a rifle.

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrinavatan View Post
Just so everyone is clear, I am talking about the K10/22-RPF found on this website:

Ruger® 10/22® Carbine Autoloading Rifle Models

So, since my wife bought her own rifle this week (got herself a M&P 15/22 because it's shorter and lighter), I'm planning on making the modifications that I've been wanting to make for a while, since I no longer have to worry about the gun being light enough for her to use.

I'm planning on getting a bipod for my rifle, and to be honest don't know too terribly much about them. When I went to Cabela's today, I noticed that every single bipod they carried (as far as I can tell) required a swivel mount, which my gun doesn't have.

Now, I DO have a barrel band... is it possible to attach the bipod to that?

Or, for my rifle, do I have to get a front swivel adapter? And if I do, how do I mount that? I'm really not too keen on drilling into the stock of my rifle (Me+Drill=Disaster when it is something of any value).

I was looking for some advice. I'm relatively new to owning my own firearm, so I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to making modifications to a rifle.
You cannot attach a bipod directly to the barrel band that comes on a standard 10/22 carbine but there are aftermarket parts that address the issue. Beauty of the 10/22, hundreds of add-on and upgrade parts available.

One type adds a stud to the existing band, the other type, what I would suggest, replaces the existing band and also has a sling mount, if desired.

You would then want to get a bipod as shown below...not a Harris style stud mounted one, unless you use an additional adaptor plate.

Google Image Result for http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31kq8jQ9uOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 01-01-2011 at 08:14 PM.