Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > ruger 10/22 barrell problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ruger 10/22 barrell problems

my ruger 10/22 has a barrell that was unproperly shortened resulting in no accuracy the shots shoot way high to the right so do i have to buy a totally new barrell or can i take it to a gunsmith to have it fixed? somebody tryed to smooth out the end that was cuttin with a hack saw unevenly. is this permanent damage or fixable?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2743 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

Contact Jim Clark Guns. They have done an extensive business once on the 10/22and had a bunch of used barrels.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #3

Default ruger 10/22 barrell problems

no that doesnt help me. this website answers gun question yes? i want to know what i have to do to fix it not be redirected to another website

Old 06-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #4

Hey Sam, I'm new here but thought I might help.

The barrel can always be saved with machine work of a gunsmith, or a machine shop if you know what you need.

Most of the time it will cost more for the machine work then a stock used barrel is worth, but is a good excuse to have it cut off right, re-crowned and threaded for a flash hider or comp. Costs between $30 and $50.

How long is the barrel now?, if it's longer then 16 1/2", it can be re-cut and re-crowned.

If it's now shorter then 16" you can fix it by cutting, re-crown then thread and permanently fix a nice flash hider/comp to bring to legal length.

If it's shorter then 14" take the loss, sell it on gunbroker for project charger pistol barrel
and buy a used or new one from, eBay, GunBroker, this and other forums.

Many used 10/22 take off barrels and stocks on forums.

Good Luck

Old 06-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2743 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsanders View Post
no that doesnt help me. this website answers gun question yes? i want to know what i have to do to fix it not be redirected to another website
I'm sorry. I do not know your capabilities on machining. To fix a barrel (normally) is beyond what our normal subscriber can do in his/her garage. My suggestion was a way to help get another barrel.

No offense intended.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would suggest you get a new barrel. You can get new takeoffs for as little as 25-30$. You're not going to have it recrowned for that. A new barrel is ridiculously simple to change-just 2 allen head screws and a V block. Since you need a new barrel anyway, now would be the time to upgrade to a better barrel with a tighter chamber for more accuracy.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 06-25-2010, 11:32 PM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I would suggest you get a new barrel. You can get new takeoffs for as little as 25-30$. You're not going to have it recrowned for that. A new barrel is ridiculously simple to change-just 2 allen head screws and a V block. Since you need a new barrel anyway, now would be the time to upgrade to a better barrel with a tighter chamber for more accuracy.
And a, cough cough, trigger job...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #8

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsanders View Post
my ruger 10/22 has a barrell that was unproperly shortened resulting in no accuracy the shots shoot way high to the right so do i have to buy a totally new barrell or can i take it to a gunsmith to have it fixed? somebody tryed to smooth out the end that was cuttin with a hack saw unevenly. is this permanent damage or fixable?
Have to agree with the other posters. Whoever took a hack saw to the barrel, aside from being incredibly dumb, was unable to cut a perfectly straight edge, crown, on the barrel. As a result the gases are exiting the muzzle unevenly and changing the trajectory of the round. It can be fixed by a gunsmith but, as StalkingBear (a gunsmith) points out, the cost is typically more than the cost of a replacement barrel. Might be different story with a custom target match barrel but a stock Ruger barrel is pretty inexpensive.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDPacker View Post
Hey Sam, I'm new here but thought I might help.

The barrel can always be saved with machine work of a gunsmith, or a machine shop if you know what you need.

Most of the time it will cost more for the machine work then a stock used barrel is worth, but is a good excuse to have it cut off right, re-crowned and threaded for a flash hider or comp. Costs between $30 and $50.

How long is the barrel now?, if it's longer then 16 1/2", it can be re-cut and re-crowned.

If it's now shorter then 16" you can fix it by cutting, re-crown then thread and permanently fix a nice flash hider/comp to bring to legal length.

If it's shorter then 14" take the loss, sell it on gunbroker for project charger pistol barrel
and buy a used or new one from, eBay, GunBroker, this and other forums.

Many used 10/22 take off barrels and stocks on forums.

Good Luck
hey the barrell now is 16.5 inches so it will be exactly 16 inches if i have it cut ps where can i buy these take off barrells?

Old 06-25-2010, 11:42 PM   #10

Default ruger 10 22 barrell take offs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
And a, cough cough, trigger job...
hey where can i find these cheap barrell take offs on the internet?