Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   ruger 10/22 barrell problems (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/ruger-10-22-barrell-problems-28699/)

samsanders 06-25-2010 06:22 AM

ruger 10/22 barrell problems

my ruger 10/22 has a barrell that was unproperly shortened resulting in no accuracy the shots shoot way high to the right so do i have to buy a totally new barrell or can i take it to a gunsmith to have it fixed? somebody tryed to smooth out the end that was cuttin with a hack saw unevenly. is this permanent damage or fixable?

danf_fl 06-25-2010 09:25 AM

Contact Jim Clark Guns. They have done an extensive business once on the 10/22and had a bunch of used barrels.

samsanders 06-25-2010 06:21 PM

ruger 10/22 barrell problems

no that doesnt help me. this website answers gun question yes? i want to know what i have to do to fix it not be redirected to another website

XDPacker 06-25-2010 07:51 PM

Hey Sam, I'm new here but thought I might help.

The barrel can always be saved with machine work of a gunsmith, or a machine shop if you know what you need.

Most of the time it will cost more for the machine work then a stock used barrel is worth, but is a good excuse to have it cut off right, re-crowned and threaded for a flash hider or comp. Costs between $30 and $50.

How long is the barrel now?, if it's longer then 16 1/2", it can be re-cut and re-crowned.

If it's now shorter then 16" you can fix it by cutting, re-crown then thread and permanently fix a nice flash hider/comp to bring to legal length.

If it's shorter then 14" take the loss, sell it on gunbroker for project charger pistol barrel
and buy a used or new one from, eBay, GunBroker, this and other forums.

Many used 10/22 take off barrels and stocks on forums.

Good Luck

danf_fl 06-25-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samsanders (Post 305959)
no that doesnt help me. this website answers gun question yes? i want to know what i have to do to fix it not be redirected to another website

I'm sorry. I do not know your capabilities on machining. To fix a barrel (normally) is beyond what our normal subscriber can do in his/her garage. My suggestion was a way to help get another barrel.

No offense intended.

stalkingbear 06-25-2010 10:58 PM

I would suggest you get a new barrel. You can get new takeoffs for as little as 25-30$. You're not going to have it recrowned for that. A new barrel is ridiculously simple to change-just 2 allen head screws and a V block. Since you need a new barrel anyway, now would be the time to upgrade to a better barrel with a tighter chamber for more accuracy.

Jpyle 06-25-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 306101)
I would suggest you get a new barrel. You can get new takeoffs for as little as 25-30$. You're not going to have it recrowned for that. A new barrel is ridiculously simple to change-just 2 allen head screws and a V block. Since you need a new barrel anyway, now would be the time to upgrade to a better barrel with a tighter chamber for more accuracy.

And a, cough cough, trigger job...:D

Jpyle 06-25-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samsanders (Post 305802)
my ruger 10/22 has a barrell that was unproperly shortened resulting in no accuracy the shots shoot way high to the right so do i have to buy a totally new barrell or can i take it to a gunsmith to have it fixed? somebody tryed to smooth out the end that was cuttin with a hack saw unevenly. is this permanent damage or fixable?

Have to agree with the other posters. Whoever took a hack saw to the barrel, aside from being incredibly dumb, was unable to cut a perfectly straight edge, crown, on the barrel. As a result the gases are exiting the muzzle unevenly and changing the trajectory of the round. It can be fixed by a gunsmith but, as StalkingBear (a gunsmith) points out, the cost is typically more than the cost of a replacement barrel. Might be different story with a custom target match barrel but a stock Ruger barrel is pretty inexpensive.

samsanders 06-25-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XDPacker (Post 306009)
Hey Sam, I'm new here but thought I might help.

The barrel can always be saved with machine work of a gunsmith, or a machine shop if you know what you need.

Most of the time it will cost more for the machine work then a stock used barrel is worth, but is a good excuse to have it cut off right, re-crowned and threaded for a flash hider or comp. Costs between $30 and $50.

How long is the barrel now?, if it's longer then 16 1/2", it can be re-cut and re-crowned.

If it's now shorter then 16" you can fix it by cutting, re-crown then thread and permanently fix a nice flash hider/comp to bring to legal length.

If it's shorter then 14" take the loss, sell it on gunbroker for project charger pistol barrel
and buy a used or new one from, eBay, GunBroker, this and other forums.

Many used 10/22 take off barrels and stocks on forums.

Good Luck

hey the barrell now is 16.5 inches so it will be exactly 16 inches if i have it cut ps where can i buy these take off barrells?

samsanders 06-25-2010 11:42 PM

ruger 10 22 barrell take offs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 306107)
And a, cough cough, trigger job...:D

hey where can i find these cheap barrell take offs on the internet?