Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ruger 10/22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I would rather shoot a model a Marlin Model 60. Why is a bolt action 22 dumb...? Cliff!

Old 04-16-2012, 03:08 AM   #82

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry View Post
Can someone answer me. If I bought an after market stock like the dragonuv or the archangel can I still use the BX mags? Cuz in NY we can't have 25 rd clips.

Whiskey bent and Hell bound.
I've read some of the other posts. I'll make it REAL SIMPLE and no "maybe's. YES, any magazine that will work in a stock 10/22, will work in any 10/22 rifle with aftermarket stock, I know this from experience.

This is a good forum, but for specifics on the 10/22, a real good place to get concise information on the 10/22 is the forum- http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums. The forum has a dedicated 10/22 section covering EVERYTHING about the 10/22. Another good dedicated 10/22 forum is the Ruger forum- http://rugerforum.net/

Old 04-16-2012, 03:17 AM   #83

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm47nagiont View Post
Why exactly does it say in the manual not to shoot stinger ammunition out of your gun
The manual states not to shoot CCI Stingers out of the Ruger TARGET RIFLE ONLY. It's OK to shoot the Stingers out of the other 10/22 models. The issue with the Target model is that the barrel chamber is machined to a tighter tolerance- Match Chamber- than the other barrels, and since the case of the Stinger is .1" longer that standard .22 ammo, it will not seat properly. That's the case with all match grade barrels- Kidd and Volquartsen to name a couple.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:43 AM   #84
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1658 Times on 903 Posts
Likes Given: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by somawas View Post
The issue with firing Stingers is not the one you state. The issue is the round chambering in Ruger's Target model. The pdf excerpt is posted in the previous thread by me. Read it.
I dont care what the PDF says. My statement still stands. Change the recoil pin to Delrin if you want to shoot the hot stuff unless of course you dont mind ruining your receiver. Battering the steel pin with the bolt will elongate the pin holes in the aluminum receiver and it isnt too good for the bolt either. Mo-Rod sells the pins in a 2 pack and they are cheap. It also cuts down the noise.
I have been shooting 10-22's since they came out so I suggest you ************************* Read This.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Last edited by ScottA; 04-16-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Let's keep it civil.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:59 AM   #85
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

with no way to attach a sling, so a new one is in the hopper.
It is very easy to install a sling on the wooden stock. Mask the spot you want to install the screw in stud on the butt and drill the appropriate sized hole. Screw in the stud. There is an adapter for the barrel band. If you are interested there is also a barrel band with short rails available.

Patron Member NRA

Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 AM   #86

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I dont care what the PDF says. My statement still stands. Change the recoil pin to Delrin if you want to shoot the hot stuff unless of course you dont mind ruining your receiver. Battering the steel pin with the bolt will elongate the pin holes in the aluminum receiver and it isnt too good for the bolt either. Mo-Rod sells the pins in a 2 pack and they are cheap. It also cuts down the noise.
I have been shooting 10-22's since they came out so I suggest you put your smart ass attitude down and Read This.
***********************. I have also been shooting 10/22 a REAL LONG TIME as well as other firearms also. I've been taught to READ THE MANUAL IN DETAIL FIRST BEFORE CHAMBERING A ROUND.

Again, shooting Stingers IS A CHAMBERING ISSUE WITH THE TARGET MODEL. THE STINGER ROUND WILL NOT CHAMBER WITHOUT PROBLEMS OF THE LONGER STINGER ROUND GETTING STUCK IN THE MATCH CHAMBER. I SHOOT STINGERS OUT OF MY NON-TARGET RUGER 10/22's WITH NO REAL ISSUE. Why don't you take the time to read the on-line 10/22 manual, page 14 regarding the TARGET MODEL ONLY.

If the impact of the bolt on the bolt stop pin is a concerned when shooting Stingers, Kidd has has an option of a hardened steel pin surrounded with a rubber tube to lessen the impact force of the bolt stop pin on the aluminum receiver of the Stinger round. The Kidd part actually nominally reduces the noise of the action.

Last edited by ScottA; 04-16-2012 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Keep it civil please.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #87
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by somawas View Post
*****************************. I have also been shooting 10/22 a REAL LONG TIME as well as other firearms also. I've been taught to READ THE MANUAL IN DETAIL FIRST BEFORE CHAMBERING A ROUND.

Again, shooting Stingers IS A CHAMBERING ISSUE WITH THE TARGET MODEL. THE STINGER ROUND WILL NOT CHAMBER WITHOUT PROBLEMS OF THE LONGER STINGER ROUND GETTING STUCK IN THE MATCH CHAMBER. I SHOOT STINGERS OUT OF MY NON-TARGET RUGER 10/22's WITH NO REAL ISSUE. Why don't you take the time to read the on-line 10/22 manual, page 14 regarding the TARGET MODEL ONLY.

If the impact of the bolt on the bolt stop pin is a concerned when shooting Stingers, Kidd has has an option of a hardened steel pin surrounded with a rubber tube to lessen the impact force of the bolt stop pin on the aluminum receiver of the Stinger round. The Kidd part actually nominally reduces the noise of the action.
I am not disputing the manual and keep in mind junior not everything is learned from books. Yes it is safe to shoot the stinger in the 10-22 but it is not a good practice to over stress your receiver and bolt. I have seen the damage and I have seen the holes drilled out to make them round again and over sized pins put in. Now dont insult me or my intelligence again. If you can not keep it civil, dont post.

Patron Member NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 04-16-2012 at 08:10 PM. Reason: See above.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #88
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I bought my first 10-22 in 1965. I learned early to wrap the recoil pin with a layer of electrical tape. Later I used a plastic tube over the pin. The introduction of the XHV rounds brought on problems with the recoil pin holes being elongated if a lot of them were shot. Some people would only shoot the hot rounds and they were the ones that had the most trouble. The newer plastics have made it possible to easily mitigate the problem. No matter what the manual says it is a problem and one that I have witnessed. My current 10-22 has a Delrin recoil pin. I still avoid shooting the XHV ammo in it. I have a bolt action I can use for that and I see no reason to stress my rifle unnecessarily. If for some reason I needed the extra power I would use it.

Patron Member NRA

Old 04-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #89

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have authority here...ninjas

@TooStrongTerry

Old 04-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #90

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 67

do your 10 22s shoot better with stingers?i have owned 3 and worked on several others and none liked the high velocity rounds vs standard at 50 to 100 yds and i have tried a bunch of different loads.or is it there faster so thay must be better?gives that beer can less time to duck