Ruger 10/22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ruger 10/22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Ruger 10/22

Sooo...I'm extremely interested in getting this Ruger...and have heard pretty great reviews...I just am skeptical about constant jams...if it happens. I didn't originally want a semi but I think a bolt action is kinda...dumb I guess for such small rounds...but I heard semi's are alot harder to clean...my purpose is pretty much versatile...use it for everything...anyone have any problems with this gun?

Whiskey bent and Hell bound.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #2

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Mine jams on occasion but overall is very reliable. Easy to clean as well because the entire trigger group comes out as a unit. You do have to clean it from the muzzle though. If you ever want to modify it in any way, the aftermarket if absolutely full of stuff for it. The only criticism I have of it is the trigger pull. It's very heavy for some reason, but there are many aftermarket cures for this. I'd say but it and shoot the hell out of it!

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 01-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #3

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry
Sooo...I'm extremely interested in getting this Ruger...and have heard pretty great reviews...I just am skeptical about constant jams...if it happens. I didn't originally want a semi but I think a bolt action is kinda...dumb I guess for such small rounds...but I heard semi's are alot harder to clean...my purpose is pretty much versatile...use it for everything...anyone have any problems with this gun?

The 10/22 is probably the most versatile and reliable semi-auto out there. It will jam from time to time on some ammo and depending on what kind of mags you use. Use the factory Bx-25 mags not the butler creek banana mag. You will spend a few extra bucks on them but they're worth it. If you start changing the internals you will be forced to use cci ammo which is still cost efficient but not as much as the bulk ammo. The 10/22 is like an ar-15 in the ways of customization. If you want tactical or even a dragunov style stock, there are so many options. Wally world has the walnut stock for sale at $197.00. The synthetic stock with stainless bbl for $235 if memory serves right. You can't go wrong with 10/22. Awesome firearm. Ill be passing down to my son.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 01-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks guys. I also heard that taking the barrel off of the stock can ruin its accuracy? Idk...but the aftermarket products are particularly the reason I want it. I'm not sure if the trigger will bother me but we shall see!

Old 01-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #5

I'm not trying to steal your thread, but does the action stay open after your last shot?

Old 01-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmidgets View Post
I'm not trying to steal your thread, but does the action stay open after your last shot?
That's not a feature of the 10/22. There is a setup for that, but it involves using special mag's. that are pretty expensive.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #7

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Mine jams on occasion but overall is very reliable. Easy to clean as well because the entire trigger group comes out as a unit. You do have to clean it from the muzzle though. If you ever want to modify it in any way, the aftermarket if absolutely full of stuff for it. The only criticism I have of it is the trigger pull. It's very heavy for some reason, but there are many aftermarket cures for this. I'd say but it and shoot the hell out of it!
What he said...Mine's had a steady diet of Federal bulk and CCI's. When it fails, it's time to clean 'er up. Very easy takedown and cleaning, get a boresnake, done and done.

Here in Norf Kakalakee, they go for $117.00 at the World of Wally, that's a risk I was willing to take...

I highly recommend one, you won't be sorry!

BTW...Okay to dry fire as well, says so right in the manual so try that trigger out for yourself. If you still don't like it, it can easily be changed...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 01-19-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent

What he said...Mine's had a steady diet of Federal bulk and CCI's. When it fails, it's time to clean 'er up. Very easy takedown and cleaning, get a boresnake, done and done.

Here in Norf Kakalakee, they go for $117.00 at the World of Wally, that's a risk I was willing to take...

I highly recommend one, you won't be sorry!

BTW...Okay to dry fire as well, says so right in the manual so try that trigger out for yourself. If you still don't like it, it can easily be changed...
Sounds good man Im def gonna get it! What kind of accessories have you guys placed on yours? Pics?

Old 01-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #9

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry View Post
Sounds good man Im def gonna get it! What kind of accessories have you guys placed on yours? Pics?

All I did was plop a scope on it, get a few extra mags and a sling... that's a road I'd rather not go down as of yet, I have a tendency to get carried away with gun related stuff.

Hi, my name is Vincent and I'm recovering from an acute case of 'Mosinitis'

Here's a pretty cool site...http://ruger22.com/newpages/hammer.htm

Here's a link from this site, all pimped out! http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/christmas-gift-10-22-my-son-53393/

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 01-20-2012 at 12:18 AM. Reason: can't spell today...

Old 01-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #10

The only time I've heard of 10/22s jamming, it's been with a specific type of ammo.

For example: If I use the .22 Remington Gold Bulk Ammo packs, my 10/22 will jam every 19 rounds or so. However, I switched to a Federal Bulk Pack, and I then would MAYBE get a stovepipe every 600-800 rounds that was easily fixed. Then switched to CCI .22 AR Tactical (basically their Bulk Mini-Mag), and I have yet to have a jam (3,000 rounds) that was caused by firing the weapon. Did have one FTF that was because the bullet was mis-shapen and larger than the bore, but that was CCI's fault, not Ruger's.

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.