Rounds effecting zero
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Rounds effecting zero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 357 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Rounds effecting zero

I know it's not a surprise that different ammunition brands are going to effect the zero of your scope/dots or any other sights. However, I was really surprised to see at just how much if effected it.

I've got my scope zeroed for 32gr Winchester super eXtream HV hollow points but couldn't get anyone at Walmart so went to Canadian tire an they only had a box of 32gr federals in the 525 value pack. I figured since they where both the same weight and I was only shooting at 25 yards the zero would be off my only a minutely small amount. After firing a couple of mags I was proven to be extremely wrong.

Was anyone else surprised by the amount the zero changes when using a diffrent brand at even 25 yards?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

No surprise. See it all the time. In the .22 world there are huge variations in bullet shape, weight and size, not to mention powder formulations. But some guns seem to be more subject to it than others. Same reason some guns are really picky with which ammo they will or won't shoot. I stick with one brand/type of ammo for that reason.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201
No surprise. See it all the time. In the .22 world there are huge variations in bullet shape, weight and size, not to mention powder formulations. But some guns seem to be more subject to it than others. Same reason some guns are really picky with which ammo they will or won't shoot. I stick with one brand/type of ammo for that reason.
I do plan on sticking with just the Winchester, but for some unknown reason there's never anyone in the sporting goods section of my local Walmart when I'm not on shift in the back. I waited almost 20mins and burned my daylight away since I got off school at about 3:30 and it gets dark by about 5:00.

That's why I went to Canadian tire and grabbed a box, never doing that again. It came to almost double what I pay (18 per box after discount) and they also don't seem to expand nearly as well even though they claim to be hollow points.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Seen differences at 50ft w target pistols. Read great article on how hard it is to manufacture rimfire ammo. Part art, part science which makes quality control even more challenging. Fps variations between rounds, bullet uniformity, especially in bulk packs which is what most people buy and yet, still expect Match Grade accuracy.

Still lamenting the demise of PMCs Target 22 ammo. They were made in Mexico but stopped producing in 1987. Sold rights to Korea but not the 22 target ammo . This was the ammo my HS Victor just loved AND was reasonable to shoot.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
I do plan on sticking with just the Winchester, but for some unknown reason there's never anyone in the sporting goods section of my local Walmart when I'm not on shift in the back. I waited almost 20mins and burned my daylight away since I got off school at about 3:30 and it gets dark by about 5:00.

That's why I went to Canadian tire and grabbed a box, never doing that again. It came to almost double what I pay (18 per box after discount) and they also don't seem to expand nearly as well even though they claim to be hollow points.
I hear ya. There is never anyone on duty in the sporting goods section of our Wally World. But there ammo is just so cheap, I can't pass on it, so I'm willing to look around until I find someone that can help me.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla
Seen differences at 50ft w target pistols. Read great article on how hard it is to manufacture rimfire ammo. Part art, part science which makes quality control even more challenging. Fps variations between rounds, bullet uniformity, especially in bulk packs which is what most people buy and yet, still expect Match Grade accuracy.

Still lamenting the demise of PMCs Target 22 ammo. They were made in Mexico but stopped producing in 1987. Sold rights to Korea but not the 22 target ammo . This was the ammo my HS Victor just loved AND was reasonable to shoot.
I'm not sure if you were implying that I'm expecting match grade ammunition from a box 500 rounds, but by no means am I. I just expect to be able to hit what I'm aiming at when it's only 25 yards.

Quote:

I hear ya. There is never anyone on duty in the sporting goods section of our Wally World. But there ammo is just so cheap, I can't pass on it, so I'm willing to look around until I find someone that can help me.
That's how I look at it too. Especially because the ammunition I prefer and my gun feeds pretty good is only $20.00 for a box of 500. I just get a little tired of waiting insane amount of time for them to come when called.

I even called the manager that usually call while I'm on shift and still had to wait an insanely long time.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #7

Liked 749 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post

Just to clarify. PMC/ El Dorado(U.S. company) was bought by a Korean company. They shipped all the equipment to Korea and restarted production using the PMC name they purchased along w/ everything else.
I never used PMC .22 ammo. If it was from Mexico it is probably Aguila.
Aguila is very reasonable to shoot and runs a close second to CCI in my and both of my sons rifles. Stevens 100, Marlin 60, Winchester 190, and a 1969 Romanian trainer.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla

I'm not sure if our implying that I'm expecting match grade accuracy out of a bulk pack of .22LR or not, but by no means am I. All I'm expecting is to be able to hit my intended target 98% of the time at 25yards with out wondering how far off I'm going to be.

Quote:

No, there almost never is here either. So far out of the 4 or 5 times I've gone in there's only been a person there twice. Even when I've asked people to page for somebody with the keys to the case, no one ever seems to come or they can't find the danged things.

I got so annoyed that I called the manager since he's usually in and me and him get along fairly well. He told me hell send one of the assistant managers over, waited for close to five minutes and no one looked to be coming in my direction. That's the only reason I went to Canadian tire and bought the box of Federals....which I'm not much a fan of as their "hollow points" don't really have much of a cavity nor do they seem to expand as well as the Winchester super eXtream HV does.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #9

Liked 749 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 794

HP's are for small game. If you get a 10% increase in size from a HP that will work. What are you hunting that you need greater expansion? Your original post was about accuracy for targets, Where and how did bullet expansion come into play? How did you measure the expansion and what media did you use?

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
HP's are for small game. If you get a 10% increase in size from a HP that will work. What are you hunting that you need greater expansion? Your original post was about accuracy for targets, Where and how did bullet expansion come into play? How did you measure the expansion and what media did you use?
As of right now I'm not hunting anything as there's nothing out there to hunt (legally) with a .22LR right now since its way to cold for anything. But the reason expansion came into play is the ammunition I prefer to use doesn't seem to be offered at the secondary spot I buy my mine from. As far as actually measuring the expansion of the bullet it's self, I haven't been able to do that since I'm unable to find of way of catch the bullet so far. But the media that I've been using is one of those small Folgers travel sized containers filled with water.