Rimfire Muzzle Brake?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Rimfire Muzzle Brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 03:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1777 Times on 918 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Default Rimfire Muzzle Brake?

I received “A steel muzzle brake” with the sights for my 10/22. It was ‘free’. A muzzle brake, for a 22lr? Does it have any real use other than cosmetic?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1605 Times on 984 Posts
Likes Given: 8466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I received “A steel muzzle brake” with the sights for my 10/22. It was ‘free’. A muzzle brake, for a 22lr? Does it have any real use other than cosmetic?
I have one on mine. Primarily cosmetic would be my guess. I have seen no difference in group size since my wife added it. All it really seems to do is make my barrel look a little longer, thus making the slightly large scope on the rifle seem to fit the gun better.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 10-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Depends on how the holes are drilled or machined into the brake/compensator some are designed to stripe the gasses from the bullet so it don't affect accuracy.I have one on my ruger 10/22 and it does make a difference and so does the ammo also but with same ammo groups were better. air rifles do the same my crossman ar upper has what they call an air stripper.But some just make the gun look cool also.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2101 Times on 1151 Posts
Likes Given: 629

A good muzzle break will reduce muzzle flip for a faster recovery time. Mostly on pistols used in match shooting. Most are just cosmetic and some are really flash hiders being called muzzle breaks. The combo units are cosmetic as a flash hider and a muzzle break are not compatible.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I don't think I ever saw anything like that for a .22 rifle. Some of the really sophisticated target pistols have compensators to steady them and to put extra weight on the barrel to dampen vibration but this doesn't seem to be the case with your 10/22. Cosmetics would be my guess, like 90% of the stuff we M&P 15-22 guys hang on our guns. I need a tac-light on my rifle like a rhinoceros needs turn indicators but it's fun to have and might come in handy if something goes bump in the night and I can't find my Glock G22C, or my Mossberg 500 Persuader, or even the RIA 1911.
If you can, post a photo of the thing for us curious types, please...

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

Last edited by OldEagleEars; 11-01-2012 at 05:08 AM. Reason: wording

Old 11-01-2012, 05:15 AM   #6

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Even the flash hiders do serve a useful purpose. Lots of Appleseed instructors use them on their loaner guns. They do a fine job of keeping the muzzle free of debris. In my case, my safe is packed with guns. It saves my muzzle crown from getting dinged up. And yes, I am an old crow my back might lock up when getting up from a prone position. The flash hider saves the day when that happens.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #7

Liked 1777 Times on 918 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
. . . . .It saves my muzzle crown from getting dinged up. And yes, I am an old crow my back might lock up when getting up from a prone position. The flash hider saves the day when that happens. . . . . .
Now that's thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars View Post
. . . . If you can, post a photo of the thing for us curious types, please...
I've got a Takedown. Here it is on another rifle:
10-22-flash-hider.jpg  

Last edited by Vincine; 11-01-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2101 Times on 1151 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Now that's thought.
I've got a Takedown. Here it is on another rifle:
That is a flash hider not a muzzle break.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1361 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

Here's Colt/Umarex's M4 22 compensator...which they say increases accuracy, reduces recoil (). Hey, it's a $70 fake can.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #10

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Really the best way to tame any muzzle jump in a 10/22 is to change the recoil buffer. There are softer buffers that come in three packs but I like the wilson combat buffer. Sometimes they last for years - other times they don't last 5,000 rounds. It has a lot to do with maintenance. There isn't enough gas leaving the barrel with a 22 LR for anyones muzzle brake to make a difference, even colt.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/509799/wilson-combat-shok-buff-recoil-buffer-ruger-10-22

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-01-2012 at 07:21 PM.