Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Rifle or Pistol for Alaska bush adventure (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/rifle-pistol-alaska-bush-adventure-6112/)

mikewalker 08-08-2008 09:30 AM

Rifle or Pistol for Alaska bush adventure

Summer 2009 my wife, my son, and myself will be doing a 2 month backpack into the Alaska wilderness. Need suggestions comments for rabbit gun, plan to shoot 60 grain or lessor subsonics w/ suppressor. I can't decide
on a pistol or some kind of take down rifle and yes I can afford a custom job.
Priorities are in order accuracy/dependability, weight, size, accuracy,dependability, quiet.
the only rifle I will consider is some kind of small ultralight possibly take down type, because we will already be humping 1 bear carbine and 1 44 mag pistol.
Suggestions please thanks

rickrem700 08-08-2008 12:07 PM

Alaska bush adventure

Mike; I have hunted Kodiac Island several times now and have been through more bush then I care to remember, I'm guessing you have never been there before or you would know that you probably could not have picked a more dangerous place to take your family on a backpacking hike, let alone for two months, your odds are not good at all, I would suggest you rethink this one.
Just last year I shot the biggest grizzly I have ever harvested, and out of no where a female charged me before I could even throw my bolt open and get another shot off my father shot her in the face with a S.W. 500 killing her instantly, she droped about 2 1/2 feet from my boots, my father literaly saved my life that day, I have never been so scared in my life, and still have serious nightmares over it.
No, mike I won't suggest a good .22 cal for ya, what I will suggest to ya is take your family to Disneyland!!!

Dillinger 08-08-2008 03:01 PM

+1 on what Rick just told you. Taking a .22 to Alaska would make about as much sense as driving your new Ninja Motorcycle into the Hell's Angels Clubhouse and announcing you were taking over...

JD

c3shooter 08-08-2008 03:58 PM

Bunnies in Alaska are not rabbits- they are Snowshoe Hares. BIG bunnies. Best check game laws for the area you will be in- there are rabbit SEASONS in some parts of Alaska. Also check game law on use of suppressors- some states allow, some do not. If you HAVE a suppressor, would mount it to a Ruger MkIII, and use HP ammo. Not the Aguilla 60 gr SSS. Yes, a lot of Alaskans harvest hares for food. Spent couple of years there with the Army. Got to see areas most folks don't. Critters are NOT tame, bodies will NOT be returned to next of kin, etc. Most beautiful place I have ever seen. But it has no pity whatsoever. As far as the 44 pistol, you would be better served with a shotgun with slugs or 00 buck. OC pepper spray is an EXCELLENT investment.

matt g 08-08-2008 05:03 PM

Another newb asking about suppressors, huh?

Defeating thermal imaging and needing a hush puppy? Whatcha' cookin' up there Mikey?

hillbilly68 08-08-2008 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 35321)
OC pepper spray is an EXCELLENT investment.

'cause bears LOVE their meat peppered! :D

be safe whatever you decide, good luck

Dillinger 08-08-2008 07:38 PM

This came to mind the MINUTE I read HillBilly's post above...

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/8...ejpgtu5.th.jpg

JD

G21.45 08-08-2008 08:34 PM

He never had a chance! :eek:

http://images.zap2it.com/movies/67530/67530_ba.jpg

Seriously, though, I also think you should take the family somewhere else where everyone can relax and truly enjoy themselves. Do you like mysterious and largely uninhabited tropical islands? OK, then, how about the lush Brazilian island of Queimada Grande.

Pounding surf, unspoiled beaches, high mountain views, lush jungle scenery, no crowds - An entire tropical island all to yourselves! Isn't this a lot better than camping with a bunch of hungry bears! Access to the island is strictly limited and controlled by the Brazilian government, so make your reservations early.

La Isla De La Queimada Grande ;)

mikewalker 08-09-2008 03:40 AM

I just came back from 3 weeks tent camping day hiking in the Chugach National Forest, and over at the Wrangell Wilderness in Alaska.
I am very aware of bears, Part of planning this trip is to contact Game and Fish in different areas check into bear populations and use a lower density / population as a choice for our little outing.
The .22 is for rabbits, and we will have a Carbine probably 45/70 a .44 magnum or larger if I can find a revolver I can get two off real fast, spray for any unexpected bear encounters. Additionally we will be using an electrified fence around our tents at night (what there is of it) as well as all the other bear aware practices. Any suggestions for a .22 break down rilfe?

I checked out the Brazillian Island ROFL great!!!!

freefall 08-09-2008 07:39 AM

I live in Alaska. I think our compatriots are slightly overblowing the bear hype. Yes, carry a .44 or .454 or .475 if you have the means and the wrist. A Marlin 45/70 is a wise choice. I think a Chipmunk .22 is the way to go for small game. I habitually carry a wrist rocket and some 00 shot. Quiet, portable and deadly. Good luck, have fun and don't be paranoid about bears. They're there, they're dangerous, but odds are you'll never see one. I'd rather walk 30 miles of Alaskan bush with my .44 than 6 blocks of LA unarmed.
ps. I think our rabbits taste crappy.