Which Rifle For Me?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Which Rifle For Me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 428 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Which Rifle For Me?

I'm having a hard time deciding on a new 22 rifle. Gun has to be a heavy barrel bolt action and decent looking wood is a priority. I'd be comfortable spending up to about $800 on the gun. But I keep going back and forth on what to get. Savages are good guns, but their wood is plain and I don't want laminate. I was about set on a CZ, but their wood is pretty plain with the occasional nice piece. None of my local shops carry any CZs so I'd be taking a gamble on getting one with nice wood. I even called Buds to see if I could pay extra for a hand-select and they said no. I love the Sako Quad Varmint, but you can't find one for sale. Browning T-Bolt Target is an option but there seems to be a lack of information on them like theyre not very popular. Annies just look too plain and are really out of my price range. As are Coopers. Kimber stopped making a target 22. I've been all over Rimfire Central forum and still can't find "the one". Any suggestions or recommendations?

Gun won't be used for any kind of competitions. I just want a good looking, good shooting target 22. Gun will have a scope mounted, so no iron sights.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1854 Times on 1005 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Maybe you should concentrate on the barreled action and have a stock made for it. My CZ 452 has a Walnut stock but it looks very plain. It is so dark it hides the grain and figure. It would be possible to strip and refinish for a lighter tone to better see the wood. This may be the case with the other rifles. There is a 452 in 22m at the lgs that has a really nice stock so it is hit or miss. Possible direct contact with CZ might get you what you are looking for. I have seen several T bolts that had nice wood. Ruger 77/22 has some decent wood but the heavy barrel stock is laminate.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 04-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #3

Liked 721 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 768

It doesnt have a heavy barrel, but what about a Weatherby MK. XXII?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
Maybe you should concentrate on the barreled action and have a stock made for it. My CZ 452 has a Walnut stock but it looks very plain. It is so dark it hides the grain and figure. It would be possible to strip and refinish for a lighter tone to better see the wood. This may be the case with the other rifles. There is a 452 in 22m at the lgs that has a really nice stock so it is hit or miss. Possible direct contact with CZ might get you what you are looking for. I have seen several T bolts that had nice wood. Ruger 77/22 has some decent wood but the heavy barrel stock is laminate.
I stopped by a shop that actually had a CZ 453. I was very unimpressed with the trigger, particularly the set feature. Very gritty feeling pushing forward and it had a noticeable amount of side to side play. I called CZ about buying a replacement stock and even said I'd pay extra for a premium piece. They said that would not be possible. I am hesitant to buy an aftermarket stock. I've bought a stock from Richards Microfit and it was a horrible experience, long wait, and there was a ton of work that still had to be done.

Can't find any shops that have a T-bolt in stock that I could look at.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez
It doesnt have a heavy barrel, but what about a Weatherby MK. XXII?
If they still made them and if they offered a heavy barrel, that would definitely be what I'm looking for.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #6

Why not build a Ruger 10/22. You can find everything for the fun and build the way you want it.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #7

Liked 721 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
If they still made them and if they offered a heavy barrel, that would definitely be what I'm looking for.
I thought they did still make them? Just in a bolt action with no open sights...
Maybe you could find a used one and put a target barrel on it?

I have one of the older Italian semi-auto's and I love it.. I wish I had a nice older Mk. V in a Weatherby cal., but their so expensive...

I dont know about competitions, but I can out-plink all my buddies and their spiffy 10/22's

Old 04-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1016
Why not build a Ruger 10/22. You can find everything for the fun and build the way you want it.
I already own a 10/22. I want a bolt action now.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez

I thought they did still make them? Just in a bolt action with no open sights...
Maybe you could find a used one and put a target barrel on it?

I have one of the older Italian semi-auto's and I love it.. I wish I had a nice older Mk. V in a Weatherby cal., but their so expensive...

I dont know about competitions, but I can out-plink all my buddies and their spiffy 10/22's
Used ones are pretty difficult to mind. By the time I buy a new barrel, reblue it or get a stainless, widen the channel of the stock, and have the barrel installed in the action, I'm going to be outside what I'd prefer to spend.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1854 Times on 1005 Posts
Likes Given: 568

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=021B&cid=025&tid=176&bg=x
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_58_124/products_id/45398/Browning+T-Bolt+.22LR+TargetVarminter

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 04-10-2012 at 07:27 PM.