Rifle help - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Rifle help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 05:58 AM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Ya I know......I thought it was a little odd in it. It had a steel sleev guide that fit in the cylinder so the 22lr did wiggle around much. If its different cylinder now that is a big improvement....w lr the one I was messin w id rather chunk rocks at a target.
HUH? how did that work? if it had a sleeve in the cylinder, how did you change to different shells? seems much easier to make two different cylinders.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #22

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

HUH? how did that work? if it had a sleeve in the cylinder, how did you change to different shells? seems much easier to make two different cylinders.
The sleeves had a little knurled knob that twisted on em you held onto to pit em in then pull em out. Last I knew Calc had throwing the sleeves in the scrap metal bin. Heck the little sucker shot 30 gr hornady vmax 22 mags 1.25" at 100 yards. Seemed pretty good for what it is.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #23

Liked 217 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Sort of off topic but since there have been chamber sleeve discussed a little here, have any of you ever heard of using a fired 22 mag brass as a sleeve for a 22lr? A guy was telling me about it the other day, he isn't a big gun guy so I don't know if his info can be trusted but he said his uncle will fire a 22mag then cut the bottom off the casing leaving a brass cylinder with no rim, then slide the 22lr right into the cut 22 mag shell, insert it in the gun and shoot. Ever hear of such a thing?

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 02-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #24

It will work in theory out of a revolver like the single six but its a one time per brass id say. Iv heard of bein done but never seen it done....there's quite abit of size difference in the two in diameter. Id think the 22 lr would swell to match the magnum case....maybe even make the magnum case expand too

Old 02-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #25
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8817 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 11490

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
Sort of off topic but since there have been chamber sleeve discussed a little here, have any of you ever heard of using a fired 22 mag brass as a sleeve for a 22lr? A guy was telling me about it the other day, he isn't a big gun guy so I don't know if his info can be trusted but he said his uncle will fire a 22mag then cut the bottom off the casing leaving a brass cylinder with no rim, then slide the 22lr right into the cut 22 mag shell, insert it in the gun and shoot. Ever hear of such a thing?
Well I heard of a guy who put a 20 gauge shell in his 12 gauge, it didn't fire, so he jacked another round in and blew his damned gun up.

You cannot shoot ammunition out of a gun that is not made for it. Even the .22LR versus the .22WMR, the chambers are different. You must change cylinders to safely shoot it. No gun manufacturer ever made a single cylinder with little knurled sleeves that you place into each chamber of a revolver- that is just ridiculous as the difference between the two is a mere .002", which means that the sleeve would have to have about a .001" wall thickness (I did not get out my calipers and measure, these dimensions are off the top of my head). A .22 LR will not fit inside a .22 magnum shell case either, the main dimensional difference is that the .22 WMR is longer by about a quarter inch. The WMR has a .224 bullet diameter and the LR has a .222 bullet diameter (which is why WMR will be inherently more accurate in a convertible gun- it has better engagement with the rifling).

Rossi made a prototype with little sleeve thingies? Bullspit.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

Well I heard of a guy who put a 20 gauge shell in his 12 gauge, it didn't fire, so he jacked another round in and blew his damned gun up.

You cannot shoot ammunition out of a gun that is not made for it. Even the .22LR versus the .22WMR, the chambers are different. You must change cylinders to safely shoot it. No gun manufacturer ever made a single cylinder with little knurled sleeves that you place into each chamber of a revolver- that is just ridiculous as the difference between the two is a mere .002", which means that the sleeve would have to have about a .001" wall thickness (I did not get out my calipers and measure, these dimensions are off the top of my head). A .22 LR will not fit inside a .22 magnum shell case either, the main dimensional difference is that the .22 WMR is longer by about a quarter inch. The WMR has a .224 bullet diameter and the LR has a .222 bullet diameter (which is why WMR will be inherently more accurate in a convertible gun- it has better engagement with the rifling).

Rossi made a prototype with little sleeve thingies? Bullspit.
They aren't singled you dimwit. It looks like a damn speed loader for a wheel gun...the twist lock just comes off so you can close the cylinder on it.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #27

Quote:
They aren't singled you dimwit. It looks like a damn speed loader for a wheel gun...the twist lock just comes off so you can close the cylinder on it.
that just doesn't sound possible. i'd like to see some pictures or a link to that. sounds way more complicated to make than just making a dedicated cylinder like they have always done.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #28

Quote:
That wouldn't work either. The difference in diameter too small. The bullets themselves are only .002" difference. The wall thickness on these little tube thingies you are dreaming of would have to be paper thin. Less actually, because paper is about .003" thick, which in a cylinder would add up to .006" total difference.

Dimwit.

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #29

Quote:
That wouldn't work either. The difference in diameter too small. The bullets themselves are only .002" difference. The wall thickness on these little tube thingies you are dreaming of would have to be paper thin. Less actually, because paper is about .003" thick, which in a cylinder would add up to .006" total difference.

Dimwit.
In other words, if the .22 WMR and the .22 LR had that great of a difference in their diameters they would be completely different calibers.

Dimwit.

Quote:

Old 02-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #30

Quote:

Dimwit.
i also think at that thickness if possible they would be too flimsy to last very long from removing spent shells. it still seems like the only way for them to do it is with seperate cylinders. just seems like a much more complicated way of doing something that could be much easier with having a seperate cylinder. too much engineering IMO.