Remington nylon 66 cleaning

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Remington nylon 66 cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Remington nylon 66 cleaning

I have just disassembled my new used nylon 66 that I picked up. It has some pretty nasty looking stuff on the barrel and on the inside of the bolt guard? It is almost like an adhesive or glue, maybe from sitting for awhile without being cleaned ever possibly? What should I use to clean everything? The only thing I have on hand currently is hoppes #9 lubricating oil in spray can hoppes #9 solvent and militec oil. Should I just wait to pick up something else or would one of those to the trick? Also, the barrel seems to have a small amount of surface rust. I hear that any oil and some elbow grease with an old tshirt or sock would take care of it as long as you wipe it down with something dry after the fact. Any input?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2012, 04:03 AM   #2

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

The Nylon 66 is a very hard gun to strip down and clean. At least in my experience. I got one used and have never seen a manual, yes, I know they can be found on the interwebz, but when it got a lot of use there wasn't any such thing. I usually just clean the barrel with either patches or bore snake and spray the bejeebers out of the action with gun scrubber and let it run out. I usually just go out the the driveway and let the stuff drain right there. Then I give it a little lube and good enough for me.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 06-08-2012, 04:08 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
The Nylon 66 is a very hard gun to strip down and clean. At least in my experience. I got one used and have never seen a manual, yes, I know they can be found on the interwebz, but when it got a lot of use there wasn't any such thing. I usually just clean the barrel with either patches or bore snake and spray the bejeebers out of the action with gun scrubber and let it run out. I usually just go out the the driveway and let the stuff drain right there. Then I give it a little lube and good enough for me.
http://www.nylonrifles.com/Nylonpdf/RemNylon66.pdf
^^
These are just for reference for you. Full exploded view of it and a nice youtube vid of the minor disassembly of it. It was actually pretty easy for me to do. Took like 5 minutes but now I am finding that all of this nasty adhesive stuff is almost on every piece in the gun other than maybe the bolt(which I haven't taken a closer look at yet. I didn't take the whole trigger assembly out because it has little springs and whatnot that are hard to get to so I will just spray it out with compressed air and reach what I can. Now I have to figure out what to do with this nasty adhesive stuff that is all over the parts. It is almost like someone used a certain oil and way too much of it then it just sat and sat and sat and it was the wrong oil or something now its all over and very hard to get off. Recommendations?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:20 AM   #4

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Try your hoppes #9 solvent. I will not hurt anything and is a good solvent.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:22 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Try your hoppes #9 solvent. I will not hurt anything and is a good solvent.
Ok, thanks. I will let you know how it goes.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just got done cleaning it. Hoppes solvent took most of the gunk and grime away. Either I couldn't get all the rust off of the barrel or it has eaten some of the bluing away so the barrel doesn't have a smooth feel to the outside of it if you run your hand down it. Other than that, I will be ordering parts for a few other guns and heading to the range next week.