Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Remington model 597 .22 magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington model 597 .22 magnum

Does any1 have any experience with this rifle? My brother is looking for a .22 magnum, and he likes semi autos. He will mostly be doing plinking, and maybe small game hunting. Also, any other recommendations on any other .22 mags?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The semi-auto's in 22-mag and 17 HMR are getting hard to find, Ruger, Remington and Marlin quit making the magnum auto's a while back. There claim was a malfunction that was a danger to shooters, but I could never confirm the actual danger or issue. Just internet rumors and opinions from people who knew even less than I did.

Excel Arms still makes one (the Accelerator) and it's a nice rifle, compact (32.5" total length), a little heavy, which I like, an 18" stainless barrel and nice feel to it. Problem is it's priced a little high and the mags are junk. I have four for mine and none of them want to work properly without some help. Even then none of them will lock the bolt open on the last shot. I'm trying to design a follower to make the magazines usable but it's slow going.

Mine looks like this minus the bi-pod and sling.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #3

Liked 663 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I got my son one last year though it was just the long rifle and not the magnum. Same general set up between the two.
We haven't shot it a whole lot but what little that we have has been nothing but good. My son knocked down a few squirrels with it. Works well and is comparable to the 10/22. I like my 10/22 better but that's just my own personal preference really. No fault of the firearm by any means.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 12-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 612 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 352

I've had one for several years. It tended to fail to feed sometimes, particularly on rapid fire. I discovered I had the old plastic magazine. I replaced it with the new metal one and it seems OK now. I have read that sometimes the Edge Extractor might be a problem. Others on this forum likely know more than I do about that. I'll pick it over my 10/22 most of the time. Of course the 10/22 is a good gun too. Either, IMO, would be a good choice.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:35 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 612 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post
I'll pick it over my 10/22 most of the time.
Sorry, guys. I was distracted by something that came up unexpectedly. By the time I got back I had forgotten exactly what the subject was. Of course I know the 10/22 is a .22LR. Both are good guns but only one is a .22 Magnum.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36
Sorry, guys. I was distracted by something that came up unexpectedly. By the time I got back I had forgotten exactly what the subject was. Of course I know the 10/22 is a .22LR. Both are good guns but only one is a .22 Magnum.
Well I know they made a ruger 10/22 magnum, but unfortunatly they discontinued it. I'll bet that was a sweet little weapon.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmidgets View Post
Well I know they made a ruger 10/22 magnum, but unfortunatly they discontinued it. I'll bet that was a sweet little weapon.
As stated earlier, Marlin, Ruger and Remington all quit making them. Marlin had the 922M and even had one in 9mm and 45ACP called the Camp 9 and Camp 45. These three were all based off the same action and receiver.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmidgets View Post
Does any1 have any experience with this rifle? My brother is looking for a .22 magnum, and he likes semi autos. He will mostly be doing plinking, and maybe small game hunting. Also, any other recommendations on any other .22 mags?
Your brother might just be a lucky man, Buds claims to have two different Remington 597 in 22 Mag in stock. Not sure if these are new production, some hold outs from the recall or just an inventory glitch.

Remington 597 BL 22 Mag HB Laminated $492.00 SHIPS FREE

Remington 597 BL 22 Mag Synthetic $417.00 SHIPS FREE

Last edited by MidnightExpress; 12-30-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:53 AM   #9

I've got a 597 in 22 mag and it shoots great. Originally it was a 17hmr, but I had an out of battery explosion and sent it back (before the recall). They checked it out and returned it to me, but I had a couple more similar occurrences and when they recalled them, I had a 22 mag barrel installed. It shoots moa or better groups all day with no problems.
I also have another in 22lr that is a great shooter. Triggers aren't the greatest on either model, but a Volquartsen hammer worked wonders for them. Some have had problems with extractors, but so far I have not.

Tommy