Remington 597, Any Good? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Remington 597, Any Good?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tCan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wake, NC
Posts: 1,136
Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoe View Post
Pass on the 597 and buy a Marlin 60 instead. I bought a 597 and it threw the extractor plunger on the third round. While trying to sight it in I learned the front sight was off center so it could not get on the paper. After sending it back to the factory, I learned that the receiver scope dovetails were off center as well so I could not install Tech Sight after market sights. Three strikes and Big Green is out.
No gun is perfect. It could be the ammo, but I may have an extractor/sticky chamber issue with my marlin 60. It's new so time will tell...
__________________
[Remington 870 12GA][Stoeger Model 3500 12GA][Savage 116 .30-06][Savage Model 10 Bull Barrel .223][Marlin 336SS .30-30][Marlin 39A .22][Marlin 795 22LR][Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm][Ruger MkIII 22LR]

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary
tCan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern,WI
Posts: 1,159
Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Default

If you want a rifle that is going to give you the kind of grief that alot of these post talk about such as polishing parts and what not to get it to operate, then buy the Remington, if you want a rifle that will operate flawlessly without you having to become a apprentice gunsmith to go to the range then buy the Ruger or even a Marlin. I won't have another Remington semi auto 22, I had the Viper which preceeded the 597, it was junk, jammed constantly after about 500 rounds, had to a smith twice and it still jammed so I sold it, then I was going to buy the 597 which had been out for awhile, but my local gun shop refused to carry them do to the issues with action failures. I bought the Ruger and never looked back, I have never cleaned the Ruger other than wiping it down and rust preventive type cleaning and it continues to function flawlessly. Also there was a post on here on a similar thread from one of the members who is a smith and has had to do work on many 597s and gave his reasons as to why they aren't good, I would stay away from them, any who claim they haven't had problems are either very lucky or they don't shoot their rifle much. And this is coming from a die hard Remington fan, their centerfire rifles and shotguns are great guns, but stay away from the 22s, at least the Viper and 597, some of the previous ones supposedly were much more reliable
blucoondawg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tCan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wake, NC
Posts: 1,136
Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
If you want a rifle that is going to give you the kind of grief that alot of these post talk about such as polishing parts and what not to get it to operate, then buy the Remington, if you want a rifle that will operate flawlessly without you having to become a apprentice gunsmith to go to the range then buy the Ruger or even a Marlin. I won't have another Remington semi auto 22, I had the Viper which preceeded the 597, it was junk, jammed constantly after about 500 rounds, had to a smith twice and it still jammed so I sold it, then I was going to buy the 597 which had been out for awhile, but my local gun shop refused to carry them do to the issues with action failures. I bought the Ruger and never looked back, I have never cleaned the Ruger other than wiping it down and rust preventive type cleaning and it continues to function flawlessly. Also there was a post on here on a similar thread from one of the members who is a smith and has had to do work on many 597s and gave his reasons as to why they aren't good, I would stay away from them, any who claim they haven't had problems are either very lucky or they don't shoot their rifle much. And this is coming from a die hard Remington fan, their centerfire rifles and shotguns are great guns, but stay away from the 22s, at least the Viper and 597, some of the previous ones supposedly were much more reliable
the 10/22 isn't excluded from the statement in my previous post. The marlin 60 is the most popular 22 rifle on the planet, ahead of the 10/22. care to guess why? It's cheaper, more accurate, and just as reliable as the 10/22.
__________________
[Remington 870 12GA][Stoeger Model 3500 12GA][Savage 116 .30-06][Savage Model 10 Bull Barrel .223][Marlin 336SS .30-30][Marlin 39A .22][Marlin 795 22LR][Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm][Ruger MkIII 22LR]

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary
tCan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
janeitzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 24
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I had a 522 and never had a jam. Lost the mag so I needed a new auto loader and brought a 597. Came with a scope and was very good shooting right out of the box. I have only used Remington rounds so far. I like it very much. Has a longer barrel then the 10 22 which might be important also.
janeitzel is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern,WI
Posts: 1,159
Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
the 10/22 isn't excluded from the statement in my previous post. The marlin 60 is the most popular 22 rifle on the planet, ahead of the 10/22. care to guess why? It's cheaper, more accurate, and just as reliable as the 10/22.
What exactly does my post have to do with your post? Just because my post is next in line doesn't mean it has anything to do with your post, if it did I would have quoted you so you could tell. Now if you would could you please tell me where in my post I stated anything bad about the Marlin which would cause you to quote me and write a post intended at making my OPINION look wrong compared to yours. I believe I stated both the Ruger and Marlin are a better choice than the 597.
blucoondawg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:04 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tCan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wake, NC
Posts: 1,136
Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
What exactly does my post have to do with your post? Just because my post is next in line doesn't mean it has anything to do with your post, if it did I would have quoted you so you could tell. Now if you would could you please tell me where in my post I stated anything bad about the Marlin which would cause you to quote me and write a post intended at making my OPINION look wrong compared to yours. I believe I stated both the Ruger and Marlin are a better choice than the 597.
Not everyone quotes bro. Chillax. It sounded like you were making a direct reply to the the previous few posts.

The 60, 10/22, 795, 70PSS, Mossberg 702 the Savage 64 and even the 597 are all fine autoloaders. But none of them are perfect. Not by far.

The 795/60 triggers are pretty poor, but are super accurate.
10/22: pretty reliable, not so accurate, ergonomics might not agree with you
mossberg 702: no one thing good, no one thing bad
597: accurate, quiet, some really nice features, limited accessory market
I cant speak to the 64.
__________________
[Remington 870 12GA][Stoeger Model 3500 12GA][Savage 116 .30-06][Savage Model 10 Bull Barrel .223][Marlin 336SS .30-30][Marlin 39A .22][Marlin 795 22LR][Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm][Ruger MkIII 22LR]

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary
tCan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern,WI
Posts: 1,159
Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Default

Well my opinion is that all of them are better than the 597, the 597 is accurate but I don't think accuracy does much good if the action won't function reliably. I know some people do have issues with the shape of the fit of the Ruger as is the case with most guns, and I will agree that the accuracy isn't quite as good with the Ruger as the 597 but the difference is quite minimal unless you are shooting competitions. I have shot groups with the Ruger against the Viper I had and my dad's Browning BAR22, the Remington out grouped them both but it wasn't alot of difference in that respect. The only thing I have ever had against a Marlin is the tube magazine, I find it kind of a pain, my dad's browning has it too, I prefer the flush fitting removable mag of the Ruger to the tube, to each his own, only my opinion.
blucoondawg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tCan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wake, NC
Posts: 1,136
Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Default

Box mags are nice until they're all empty. Mag tubes are faster to load.

There are reports of people out there who have both guns and they find the 597 to be more reliable than the 10/22. The caveat here is "with good mags". But there are shoddy mags for the 10/22 as well.

It's all a matter of pros and cons.
__________________
[Remington 870 12GA][Stoeger Model 3500 12GA][Savage 116 .30-06][Savage Model 10 Bull Barrel .223][Marlin 336SS .30-30][Marlin 39A .22][Marlin 795 22LR][Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm][Ruger MkIII 22LR]

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary
tCan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern,WI
Posts: 1,159
Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Default

Ya there are junk mags, most of the high capacity ones I've tried are crap, but I am referring to the stock gun, I've not had a malfunction with the stock rotary mags. the tube is faster to load if compared to having to load a mag like you said, I agree. I would have to be suspect of claims of a 597 being more reliable than a 10/22 as long as we are talking about using factory mags, I'm not at all claiming Ruger doesn't have a bad one from time to time, but I have seen a lot of them run like a sewing machine without a glitch, I cannot say that about the 522 or 597.
blucoondawg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
big shrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 1,310
Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
the 10/22 isn't excluded from the statement in my previous post. The marlin 60 is the most popular 22 rifle on the planet, ahead of the 10/22. care to guess why? It's cheaper, more accurate, and just as reliable as the 10/22.
You forgot that the Marlin 60's sold over twice as many than the 1022...
Marlin 60 - over 15 million sold since 1960.
Ruger 1022 - slightly over 7.3 million since 1963.
Marlin 70HC/795 - 5.something million and growing fast...that rebate last year made 'em go WILD...enough so I've not been able to get current figures.
Remmy 597 - 2.3 mill at last count.

Out of the box precision, Marlin wins every time...even with the heavy lawyered trigger.
15 minutes with an Arkansas Stone solves that in a hurry...or grab a DIP target adjustable trigger assembly.

And as we've found out...those airsoft stocks that 1022 owners found were "too skinny for the 1022", fit the 795
The TAR-21 (TAVOR) & others turned out to be perfect fits!!
So if you want to do a COD:MW3 TAR-21...the Marlin 795 is your huckleberry!
And of course, it still fits into 1022 kits, ya just gotta build up the inletting 1/4" on each side & mod the T/G for fit.

Currently I am contemplating a Remmy 597, as I've only fooled with one once before...rented it and got bored with it fast,
due to issues with the early-series plastic mags, now that those have been resolved, I'm curious...and know where I can find a 597 for only $100

I'm hoping its at least 8" pie plate at 100 yards capable...like a Nylon 66
If not, I'll probably trade it in on yet another Marlin or Calico...LOL

The reason the 1022 has so many aftermarket suppliers is...it needs them.
out of the box its a pop-can plinker...and a PITA...
once you start putting in better-quality aftermarket parts, they start to really sing.
Frankly, its a waste of time to actually buy a Ruger 1022, when you end up replacing dang near everything that Ruger made anyway.
Just go order a Volquartsen 1022 with everything you ever wanted in a rifle, it'll save you time, effort & grief...
and cost about the same as buying a 1022 from Ruger then replacing everything with better parts from VQ & other distributors.
__________________
Calico Specialist
Marlin Specialist
I'm not just Trigger Happy, I'm Trigger Ecstatic!!

Last edited by big shrek; 03-20-2012 at 05:59 AM.
big shrek is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Remington 870 Wingmaster any good? Snake General Shotgun Discussion 18 11-20-2010 11:30 PM
Good for the Goose, Good for the Gander Tackleberry1 Legal and Activism 9 05-03-2010 03:25 PM
Remington 721....a good rifle?? Buglemfar General Rifle Discussion 3 03-13-2010 05:12 PM
Remington 522 Viper: Any good? froggyjf .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 7 03-01-2010 04:46 PM
Is this a good .223 Remington 700 coyote combo? mmtecg General Rifle Discussion 0 07-02-2009 12:22 AM



Newest Threads