Remington 513S
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

Remington 513S

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Remington 513S

About the time I was born, early 1949, my father purchased a 1947 513S. When I returned from service he gave me the rifle. When I was 40 the rifle was stolen from my home during a move. Last year, I found it for sale at gun show. As it was my main shooter as a boy, I knew it well enough to recognize the dings I had made and the serial. When I explained the situation to the seller, He showed me his C&R bound book entry and offered to sell it to me at his cost. I was delighted to accept.
Meanwhile, some previous owner had tapped the left side of the receiver for a diopter sight mount. Consequently I would like to find such a mount. When measuring the taps does one measure from outside edge to outside edge, inside edge to inside edge, midpoint to midpoint? How do I determine the size of the taps and the threads?
Obviously, I am not a machinist or a smith.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #2

Liked 355 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 64

The correct way is midpoint to midpoint. Since that is a hard measurement to get, measure inside to inside and then add the full diameter of one hole. That will give you midpoint to midpoint.

As far as finding the thread size, if you don't have a set of thread gauges and I take it you don't have a caliper and a machinists bible. So the way I would go about that would be to get an assortment of bolts that look like they are in the ballpark and start trying them until you find the one that fits.

Try both metric and english threads.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you very much sir. Somewhere in my shop there is a pair of late 1800's 2 inch calipers, belonged to my great grandfather. I think the increments are in 1/100s inch. Am thinking their ought to be a laser device that performs that function, albeit with greater accuracy.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #4

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I'd go back to the FFL and get the name of the dirtbag that stole your gun!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not likely as 21 years had transpired between the theft and recovery.
The probability the rifle was traded and sold without documentation
more than once is rather high. That aside, the statute of limitations has
long passed.