Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Remington 510 targetmaster (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/remington-510-targetmaster-84305/)

herp_man2003 02-15-2013 05:29 PM

Remington 510 targetmaster

I pick up one in fair shape. I was wondering if it would be sacrilege to take it down and completely refinish it. I wanna strip the stock and and use a hand rubbed oil finish on it. I was even thinking of reblueng it. I know its not a high dollar gun and I don't think its real collectable so What do you all think should I go for it?

c3shooter 02-15-2013 06:24 PM

While there IS an interest in these as a collectable, it is not a Merkel, Purdy, or Holland & Holland- and not all rifles are in condition to BE a collectable. If you have one that is showing the ravages of time and use, and want to put it back to a prettier state, I would say have at it!

I WOULD suggest that you refrain from any sanding of the wood. Formby's Refinisher can help clean up the old finish (be careful, flammable as hell), and some of the older rifles had decent wood that comes up nicely with an oil finish.

Re: Bluing- yes, you CAN try to DIY with cold bluing- generally it is better than NO bluing- but not much. That is a fairly simple rifle, and you may find a smith that will reblue for you for a reasonable price. The real key to a good looking rifle will be the degree of prep/ polish on the metal.

Good luck, and post some pics here- BEFORE as well as AFTER.

hiwall 02-15-2013 10:27 PM

Go ahead!
The original wood finish was a gloss varnish but a hand rubbed finish would look nice also.

mrt8110 02-19-2013 02:16 AM

Remington 510

Gun is worth about 125.00 bucks in good condition. I have one,had the receiver grooved for a scope,refinished the stock and added some lead weight to make it heavier. I have been offered 100.00 dollars for it. Go ahead, have fun with it.:) Cliff

GeneralPatton 02-20-2013 08:34 PM

If you do the cold bluing correctly, it comes out just fine. It all hinges on you doing enough prep work in the correct manner though. Never skimp on the prep, or that will be the first and last thing that screws you.

dteed4094 02-21-2013 01:22 AM

Don't try to blue the receiver, its aluminum. At least not with regular bluing salts, it will disolve.

jdsingleshot 02-24-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dteed4094 (Post 1146459)
Don't try to blue the receiver, its aluminum. At least not with regular bluing salts, it will disolve.

Not. 510 Receiver is steel. I shop made a receiver peep for mine that looks sort of like a Williams Foolproof. Drilled and tapped the reciever--it's steel.

Jim

dteed4094 02-25-2013 12:55 AM

Sorry when I said the receiver was aluminum I had just left a thread about a marlin 60, Duh

herp_man2003 03-08-2013 02:46 AM

Well I have decided im not gonna reblue this. I am planning on just cleaning up the stock and putting a little stock wax on it. I will take some pics of it and post them.

bamashooter68 03-08-2013 05:04 AM

I have a 510 Targetmaster that is very nice and Im gonna leave alone. I have recently acquired a 512 Sportmaster that needs some TLC so Im gonna refinish the stock and have the gun parkerized.

If it was my Targetmaster I wouldnt parkerize it, I would reblue it. I think these remingtons are very good rifles.