Remington .22 lr ammo issues - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Remington .22 lr ammo issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A lot of people are reporting horror stories regarding the Remington Golden Bullets and some just Remington rimfire ammo in general. I've been lucky I guess. My Marlin 60 has practically lived on them since 2006. Nearly all bought from my local Wal-Mart, it was the only bulk 22 I could find locally. I only get 4-5 duds and/or misfires in a 525 or 550-round box. I haven't tried any of the other Remington rimfire, but my rifle runs fine on the Golden Bullets.

I've just recently started testing other 22 ammo in my Marlin. The CCI Blazer and Aguila Super Max have been excellent, I did have an issue with three rounds of CCI Mini-Mag though. In the pics you see below, the bullet was damaged and the bolt was not in full battery when it fired, but was closed enough for hammer to hit the firing pin.

After this, I inspected the other 515 rounds left and found one more round with a damaged bullet and one with no bullet or powder in it, the unloaded round can be seen in the two links below the pics. I haven't had a chance to try the Winchester 333 and 555, Fiocchi or the Federal bulk yet. One thing my rifle doesn't like is the Winchester Wildcat, it fires and cycles fine, but it will foul my barrel within 50 rounds every-time I try to shoot it.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad125/Eric_D_0424/Defect03.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad125/Eric_D_0424/Defect02.jpg

Old 12-09-2010, 05:44 AM   #22

Even though Federal, Win. work fine in the old 40s Savage, Remington green/yellow box causes very frequent gas blow-backs.

Even worse is Rem's "ThunderCrap/bolt".

All of this was bought within the last two years. With three of four causing blowbacks under my glasses, I was so disgusted that I threw a handful of ThunderCrap into the river.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Lack of quality control...

Will "bite you in the butt everytime"! I never had any problems with rem ammo
but, for at least 10 years I have been using federal or winchester ammo. I DID
have a problem wth Federal .22lr ammo in 1977 when the bullets fell to the
ground after 5 to ten feet & after a "lame pop", I removed the bolt to find a
bullet lodged near the muzzle! Federal, nearly went bankrupt in that time, &
hopefully Remington will learn the same lesson! This lesson was the
insperation for us to enter the hobby of reloading! It is one thing to use
factory ammo to hunt game, but for concealed carry ammo I only use law
enforcement endorsed ammo or our reloads! (They go BANG everytime)!

Old 12-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
In the pics you see below, the bullet was damaged and the bolt was not in full battery when it fired, but was closed enough for hammer to hit the firing pin.
I have had several different makes of ammo jam on the ramp of my 10-22 and Marlin 60. Most of the time I've had rounds chamber but not go into battery, either the case, bullet or both were deformed. Usually if that's the case it will be so far out of battery that the hammer will hit the bolt rather than the firing pin. I did however acquire a used 60 who's bore, chamber and action were so dirty it was amazing that it worked at all. I experienced the fire-out-of-battery issue but it went away after an intensive cleaning. I'm not saying that you have failed to clean but if not that might be part of the problem. A lot of people don't treat their .22's with the respect they give the rest of their firearms. Check the chamber, particularly where the rifling starts, to see if you have accumulated any fouling there that might be contributing to the problem.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:34 AM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenonah View Post
I have had several different makes of ammo jam on the ramp of my 10-22 and Marlin 60. Most of the time I've had rounds chamber but not go into battery, either the case, bullet or both were deformed. Usually if that's the case it will be so far out of battery that the hammer will hit the bolt rather than the firing pin. I did however acquire a used 60 who's bore, chamber and action were so dirty it was amazing that it worked at all. I experienced the fire-out-of-battery issue but it went away after an intensive cleaning. I'm not saying that you have failed to clean but if not that might be part of the problem. A lot of people don't treat their .22's with the respect they give the rest of their firearms. Check the chamber, particularly where the rifling starts, to see if you have accumulated any fouling there that might be contributing to the problem.
Yeah, the chamber was the first thing I checked when I got it home. I removed the stock and both the action and bolt assemblies too. The rifle had been cleaned just before this range trip and the round seen above was number 40 and the last one of the day. The shortest range session with a 22 I've ever had. The chamber was still pretty clean, all the other rounds I dropped in the chamber by hand chambered fine and fell right out when the muzzle was pointed up. I cleaned it and the bore again for its next trip to the range anyway. I also found two small pieces of the brass case in the action assembly.

After the chamber and bore checked out okay I inspected the 515 rounds of Mini-Mag I had left and found two more defects, one was another mangled bullet, the other was a shell with no bullet or powder. After finding a second deformed bullet I figured that was the most likely cause of the out of battery fire.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

[QUOTE=Eric0424;399497]A lot of people are reporting horror stories regarding the Remington Golden Bullets and some just Remington rimfire ammo in general. I've been lucky I guess. My Marlin 60 has practically lived on them since 2006. Nearly all bought from my local Wal-Mart, it was the only bulk 22 I could find locally. I only get 4-5 duds and/or misfires in a 525 or 550-round box. I haven't tried any of the other Remington rimfire, but my rifle runs fine on the Golden Bullets.

I've just recently started testing other 22 ammo in my Marlin. The CCI Blazer and Aguila Super Max have been excellent, I did have an issue with three rounds of CCI Mini-Mag though. In the pics you see below, the bullet was damaged and the bolt was not in full battery when it fired, but was closed enough for hammer to hit the firing pin.

After this, I inspected the other 515 rounds left and found one more round with a damaged bullet and one with no bullet or powder in it, the unloaded round can be seen in the two links below the pics. I haven't had a chance to try the Winchester 333 and 555, Fiocchi or the Federal bulk yet. One thing my rifle doesn't like is the Winchester Wildcat, it fires and cycles fine, but it will foul my barrel within 50 rounds every-time I try to shoot it.

Eric0424 - That is quite unusual for CCI to have defective ammo. You mentioned 515 rounds, did you buy a Brick plus a box? I have not seen CCI in bulk boxes. Where did you buy it? Was it the mini-mag, maxi-mag, or a different flavor. As I mentioned earlier, Fed AutoMatch and Fed Lightning are both very good ammo. DF

Hunters & Anglers: The first environmentalists are still the best!

Old 12-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbeetle View Post
Eric0424 - That is quite unusual for CCI to have defective ammo. You mentioned 515 rounds, did you buy a Brick plus a box? I have not seen CCI in bulk boxes. Where did you buy it? Was it the mini-mag, maxi-mag, or a different flavor. As I mentioned earlier, Fed AutoMatch and Fed Lightning are both very good ammo. DF
It was the 36gr hollow point CCI Mini-Mag in 100-round clear plastic boxes like the one pictured below, 2 boxes came from Midway USA, the other 4 were from Cabela's and all were bought about 3 weeks apart. I usually buy rimfire ammo in bulk even if they're only available in 50 or 100-round boxes when ordering on-line.

The two defective bullets were in the same 100-round box, one of the two boxes that came from Midway. The empty case was in one of the 4 boxes that came from Cabela's. This was my second trip to the range with the Mini-Mag, the first 45 Min-Mags I shot a week earlier didn't have a problem and all the other ammo from CCI I've used has been perfect. Figured it was just a little bad luck on my part to find three defects in 600 total rounds.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #28

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's HIGHLY unusual to have problems with CCI. I've been shooting CCI all my life and never had bad rounds like that. The rounds that fired before the bolt was fully into battery means the hammer was likely following the bolt forward. That would indicate either the gun is dirty, parts are worn/malfunctioning, or somebody has "messed" with the hammer/disconnector/sear.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 12-14-2010, 03:08 AM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
That's HIGHLY unusual to have problems with CCI. I've been shooting CCI all my life and never had bad rounds like that. The rounds that fired before the bolt was fully into battery means the hammer was likely following the bolt forward. That would indicate either the gun is dirty, parts are worn/malfunctioning, or somebody has "messed" with the hammer/disconnector/sear.
It was only the one round that fired out of battery and it didn't fire until the trigger was pulled, meaning the hammer and sear were fine, as they are now. My first thought was the hammer or sear had slipped, but there was no double fire and it wouldn't explain the other two defects. As mentioned earlier the rifle, bore, chamber, action, etc. was cleaned before this range session of only 40 rounds that day, and a dirty or even defective rifle doesn't explain the two defects found after the burst case shown above.

Below are two pics of the empty case found in the 400 rounds from Cabela's. The blown case seen above prompted an inspection of the rifle and of the remaining 515 rounds at which time the other defects were found. It's difficult for me to blame the rifle, chamber, sear, hammer or any other part on defective ammo that was pulled from the box as these other two rounds never came in contact the rifle.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #30

Default remington ammo crap

I emailed remington twice asking about thier ammo and it's issues and they did'nt reply. I won't buy anything with remington name since they dont have courtesy to answer cust. concerns. Federal and CCI is much much better.