Remington .22 lr ammo issues - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Remington .22 lr ammo issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default haha

so i should have went with the fed and not the rem I will know next time

Old 11-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default 22 ammo

Remington .22 rim fire ammo is made in Mexico and it is obvious that the Remington quality control personal set the lines up and then went back to the states. I too stopped using Remington ammo went back to Winchester.
Sarge

Old 11-27-2010, 12:39 AM   #13

Hi. New member and first post, but I think I have a valid suggestion. I had trouble with some bulk bullets jamming. I had to look for a higher muzzle velocity. It seems that anything under 1425 fps jams in my 10/22. I personally prefer remington's golden bullet, but it sounds like you won't want that. I've had nothing but problems from winchester, from 22 to .270. CCI seems like a pretty dependable round also.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #14

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

My 10/22 eats anything but Remingtons as do my other .22's. Some .22's can be quite finicky about what they work well with. When I was a kid Remingtons were very good rounds but not now. CCI is the best. I never met a .22 that didn't like them no matter how finicky it was but they do cost more. Remington center fire are good rounds but stay as far away from the .22's as you can get. The priming compound is sometimes non existent and powder charges are very irregular.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #15

Likes Given: 1

Default I am going to call rem

I am going to call them because these rounds are dangerous I was trying to waste the rest of the rounds i had about 250 of them left but i had 5 or six in a row get struck and not go off that's just plain unsafe in all aspects of the word

Old 11-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #16

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyforlife1972nova View Post
I am going to call them because these rounds are dangerous I was trying to waste the rest of the rounds i had about 250 of them left but i had 5 or six in a row get struck and not go off that's just plain unsafe in all aspects of the word
Call them if you want, but I doubt it will help. I am with everyone else, stay away from the Remmy bulk pack in .22lr. I had the same issues a few years back with 1 of 5 or 6 not firing the first time. I stick to the CCI Mini-Mags now. For the bulk packs, try the Federals.

My Remmy feeds anything I give it as long as they fire, and the Remmy .22lr's don't reliably.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
That could be the problem. The bullets need a tight seal on the casing. Otherwise, the gases bypass the bullet down the barrel
Not to shoot you down here but a tight seal between case and bullet keeps oil and water out of the powder while in storage. When fired the bullet is going to seal as it conforms to the rifling and the case is going to seal as the soft brass expands slightly and presses against the chamber walls. Keep it dry as you should keep all ammo and a spinning bullet shouldn't hurt anything. It does however indicate that due care wasn't necessarily taken in the manufacture of the ammo and other problems might be there.

I have had problems with the bargain boxes of Remington (frequent failure to fire, jamming and powder fouling), Federal (jamming and lots of powder fouling), and Winchester (occasional failure to fire). The smaller boxes of Winchester and CCI that I have used the last couple years have been 100% reliable and burned clean. I still use Winchester in the bargain boxes when I want to put 500 rounds downrange with the kids in an afternoon. Dismantling the rounds shows one or more of three problems; either there's no primer, the primer wasn't spun into the rim, or the crimp on the rim was too tight for the primer to get into it.

Last edited by Wenonah; 12-05-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The Remington Golden Bullets you get in the bulk pack at Walmart are pure junk. It only took a box or two to determine that. Now we use only Federal 550 Bulk packs, also available at Walmart, for our plinking at the range. Only rarely do we have any FTF or FTE with that ammo. The Fed's are also fairly accuarte in our various .22's that range from pistols, 10/22's and 60 y.o. classic rifles.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You'll find many posts here and else where advising against Remington Golden. I had a terrible time with them in a new Ruger Mk III and was told by Ruger to not use this ammo. I've since used either Federal or Winchester bulk and have had very few problems.

... ed ...
MAINE - The Way Life Should Be ...

Old 12-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #20

Default Federal from Walmart

The Federal 325 count Auto Match [$14.60 +/-, Vel 1180 fps] are a tad more expensive than the redish box 550 count Fed bulk [$19.00 +/-, vel 1260 fps] at Wal Mart, but I get excellent accuracy from my Browning pistols, my CZ Silhouette, Rem Mdl Five and my Savage MKIIg. Sub 1/2 groups at 50 yd.s with my rifles. Another Fed round if you want/need a little more velocity [1240 fps] is the Fed Lightning 510b. And at $1.47 a box, the best deal going price-wise. Very consistent, reliable 40 grain RN solid. Never had a misfire with them.

The Winchester 333/555s have shot very well for me, but to avoid having to mess with a change of POI over POA, I just stick with the Federal. Surprisingly, at 25 yd.s, the Lightnings will be about a 1/4 inch low at 25 yards which puts them dead on out at around 55-60 yards. I have carried a box of those in my pack when I am squirrel hunting if the critters are extra skittish and I need to reach out a little further. Otherwise, the AM do the job with gusto.

I do shoot a Winchester some in my Henry H001, but when my stock of Win.s is out, I will probably not buy anymore, just to avoid having so many different brands of ammo. One last point, if you do in fact want a subsonic round for target work in an older pistol or something like the S&W 41 or High Standard target, the Winchester SS HPs do an excellent job in most of my guns. At a bit under $4.00 a box, it is a whole lot cheaper than the expensive target SV ammos.