Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Remington 121 Fieldmaster what's it worth?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Default Remington 121 Fieldmaster what's it worth?

My FIL passed on a couple yrs back and the MIL is looking to sell off some of the guns which aren't "family" guns, among them is a Remington 121 Fieldmaster, the serial number on the left side of the receiver is 4119, which I assume would make it in the first year or 2 of production being mid 1930s I believe, however I don't have the barrel code which everything online tells me is how they dated the guns.

This particular rifle is in darn good shape, I don't know if it is a refinish or if it has just been well maintained, maybe not mint but very good I would call it.

I haven't shot it yet but assuming everything functions well does anyone have any idea what it would be worth? I am going to buy it and want to pay the MIL a fair price. I know I have seen some of the Winchester pump 22s in rather rough condition at gun shows with tags of over $600 but I know nothing about the Remingtons, I would assume 300ish maybe the ballpark what do you think? Wish I had some pics but I don't as of yet.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #2

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
assume 300ish maybe the ballpark
with the limited description that should be close.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #3

Liked 198 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 147

$250-$350 seems to be the ballpark on these. If the reciever has been tapped for scope base it moves down to the lower end. Highest I've every actually sold one for at a show was $475. That was at the height of the craziness last year. Everything I had sold out at that show! I've had two across my table since I started dealing. Not too common but a great little hunting rifle. Hope this helps.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 12-26-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

There are so many varables not being able to see the rifle. However if you can get it for $300 and it is in good shape it is not a bad buy. And especially if it has not been refenished.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 12-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #5

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts

LGS had one here a few months ago. In very nice condition I would say about 90%. It had of course been completely checked out by their inhouse gunsmith. And they were asking $350 and told me for cash they would have gladly come down to $325.00 My son almost bought it but then a New Henry Frontier (octagon barrel) .22LR caught his eye.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #6

next time I am up there I will take a look at it and get some pics that hopefully turn out decent. It doesn't have a scope however I don't know if it was tapped or not. Thanks for the replies, it kinda confirms what I was thinking.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #7

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I have 121 that belonged to my Dad. It's the gun I learned to shoot with. Many nice memories with Dad teaching. When beer bottles came with shiny metal seal under the cap, my Mom could hit them at 50 yards every time. Its probably the gun they would have to pry from my cold dead hands. Reliable, accurate, fast and handles like it is part of me. I wouldn't sell it for any amount.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #8

Liked 138 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 11

It's your MIL, even if you pay over current market value that's not necessarily a bad thing.
300 ish, buy it and hang onto it.

They're neat rigs and not often seen.

My dad had one and I was a terror on squirrels with it. BTW, shot my largest groundhog ever with it too. Walnut and steel man.................the feeling of taking that afield in the fall is damn near priceless.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
It's your MIL, even if you pay over current market value that's not necessarily a bad thing.
300 ish, buy it and hang onto it.
Yes, paying over value for anything is a bad thing no matter who it is. There are a number of guns I am considering buying and if I pay an extra 100 here and 50 there by not looking into what they are actually going for I will be out a couple grand that I don't have.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #10

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

'Market value' is what a person is willing to spend on it. The numbers in the books arent gospel, just ballpark estimates. You dont see the numbers change up and down every few months, but (for example) a deer rifle will usually bring more thru the fall and winter, as opposed to early summer, because of demand. So the numbers float. Also, I may be willing to spend $500 on something that the book says $450, but another person would only spend $400. To each their own.