Recomended first guns - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Recomended first guns

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rb522's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 135
Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I'm getting on board with the lever action crowd. I love my Marlin 39.

__________________
rb522 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:34 AM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Winchester94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 840
Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

Default

I'd definitely start out with a lever action. They're lots of fun and plenty accurate.

__________________
Winchester94 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #33
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

i want to get a 22 in a lever action some day.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
hawkguy Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Winchester94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 840
Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

Default

I learned how to shoot a rifle with a lever action Winchester .22 and I've been addicted ever since. I've owned and shot semi, bolt, and single shot .22's and they've never been as fun as my lever gun.

__________________
Winchester94 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #35
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester94 View Post
I learned how to shoot a rifle with a lever action Winchester .22 and I've been addicted ever since. I've owned and shot semi, bolt, and single shot .22's and they've never been as fun as my lever gun.
i have owned my fair share of lever actions over the years, just never had one in a 22 rimfire. i want one!
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Winchester94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 840
Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

i have owned my fair share of lever actions over the years, just never had one in a 22 rimfire. i want one!
They're lots of fun and it has been awesome through the ammo drought because they can shoot shorts, longs, and long rifles. I've never had any problems out of that gun and it's my go to squirrel gun.
__________________
Winchester94 is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #37
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 8,039
Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default

My first 22 was a Winny (Winchester) bolt action, currently have a Mosberg 702 and a Ruger 10/22.. Try to go to a shop with a range where you might be able to try before you buy...

__________________
askdrfootball@gmail.com

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
icallshotgun88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 393
Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

My first gun was a .22lr made by Winchester back in the 1890s....
It's over 100 years old and still works great!
It was a gift from my great uncle and I still shoot it occasionally..

Since .22lr is a great, cheap round, it is great for a 1st gun but I'd recommend letting young children shoot the bigger Cauvery like .223, .308, etc.

I got my first gun when I was 14 and I remember thinking "man, this is like my BB gun but cooler".

Of course my father and grandfather drilled into me that it was not a toyand that it is to be take seriously be use it can seriously hurt or kill someone, but still, I thought of it as a BB gun in my young, dumb brain.

Getting the young ones out there to shoot those bigger guns lights are them a bit, but it was teach them that guns really aren't toys. My hey are actually TOOLS that need to be taken seriously and treated with care and respect.

I thought a .22lr was a toy when I got one on my 14th birthday. Then 2 years later when I was 16 I shot grandpas 30-06 and only then was I actually able to grasp the concept as firearms as serious tools that need to be taken very seriously.

__________________
icallshotgun88 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,465
Liked 2163 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 805

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
My first gun was a .22lr made by Winchester back in the 1890s....
It's over 100 years old and still works great!
It was a gift from my great uncle and I still shoot it occasionally..

Since .22lr is a great, cheap round, it is great for a 1st gun but I'd recommend letting young children shoot the bigger Cauvery like .223, .308, etc.

I got my first gun when I was 14 and I remember thinking "man, this is like my BB gun but cooler".

Of course my father and grandfather drilled into me that it was not a toyand that it is to be take seriously be use it can seriously hurt or kill someone, but still, I thought of it as a BB gun in my young, dumb brain.

Getting the young ones out there to shoot those bigger guns lights are them a bit, but it was teach them that guns really aren't toys. My hey are actually TOOLS that need to be taken seriously and treated with care and respect.

I thought a .22lr was a toy when I got one on my 14th birthday. Then 2 years later when I was 16 I shot grandpas 30-06 and only then was I actually able to grasp the concept as firearms as serious tools that need to be taken very seriously.

The first deer I killed was shot with buckshot at very close range. Right then I knew guns were not toys. I got my ass spanked a couple times while I still had a pellet rifle. I took guns seriously. My grandfather had no compassion when it came to firearms safety.
__________________

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
304inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 251
Liked 81 Times on 56 Posts

Default

Recommended FIRST gun would be nerf or a cap gun, when my son was young he could play with cap/nerf guns all he wanted, we just used those to slowly teach gun safety, then bb gun @5, pellet 7, ..22 at10( mossy 702) ,, a lil better 22 at 11( ruger 1022), and a 12 gauge at 12.
(Jc Higgins )

__________________
304inc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Sons of guns and American guns off air??? lbwar15 The Club House 14 01-01-2013 10:24 PM
Guns we dont need no stinkin guns!! JonM Other Weapons 40 10-24-2012 05:28 AM
40,000 lbs of guns melted down by LAPD - LAPD Implies Owning Guns Is Illegal crowbar Legal and Activism 17 02-25-2010 02:28 AM
Video: Guns, Guns, Guns sculker The Club House 15 02-22-2010 01:53 AM