Recomended first guns - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Recomended first guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Welcome to the forum. Pleases stop by the introduction area when you get the chance and tell us a bit about yourself.

I own a Ruger 10-22. I love it. But I agree with the single shot approach. It will force you to practice your fundamentals on every trigger pull. You can get semi-autos later after the fundamentals are ingrained in you.

Plenty of people still shoot bolt action rifles in full sized calibers for competition and accuracy training. There's nothing wrong with a single shot.

I won't recommend a specific model of gun, but I do recommend a bolt action or a break open style.

Always have clean socks.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #12

Liked 65 Times on 53 Posts

Welcome and great question!

Right Answer: Ruger 10/22

Old school answer: Get a single shot 22lr so that you appreciate the day you own a semi-auto. It's only $100.00 and it'll look great in the back of your safe covered in dust.

Really old school answer: Get a black powder musket. It'll make you appreciate the day you don't have to immediately clean your barrel after target practice. Get good with your ramrod skills before you get into this newfangled primed cartridge fad.

I can't make the type green on my phone so please take my sarcasm for what it is! Lol.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #13

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

You will get as many answers as there are kinds of guns. Bolt action would be my suggestion, More accurate, cheaper, less problems, less chance being outlawed. In some states SAs are not legal to hunt with, Bolt action is easier to maintain. If you were younger, I would recommend a single action but I do think it is easy to loose interest in them quickly. I've owned single shots, bolts and semis but I personally don't enjoy SAs(especially the way 22lr is hard to get now). You will have to hold and shoot as many as possible to decide what is right for you. Remington 510-514 are my favorite but Marlins, Winchesters, Savage, Stevens, Ruger all make good guns. I would recommend looking for a well cared for used 22lr. It is almost impossible to wear out a 22lr barrel so you don't have to worry about that, and if it has been taken care of there wont be any corrosion inside or out. Good luck with your choice but make it yourself. Welcome to the forum.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

I have semi- automatic rifles, pistols, revolvers, and now a bolt 22 rifle. Of all of them, the bolt gives me the most joy.

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 10-21-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #15

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
I havesemi- automatic rifles, pistols, revolvers, and now a bolt 22 rifle. Of all of them, the bolt gives me the most joy.
I do not have one but one of the CZ bolt 22 is in my near future. I have shot my buddies( Forget the model and loved it). If I was just starting off shooting I would think long and hard about one.

Last edited by nchunt101; 10-21-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5737 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Get a bolt-action in .22LR, but not a single shot. In the beginning, just load one round at a time.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22190 Times on 12450 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i too recommend a bolt action 22 rifle to start with, whether it be a single shot or a repeater. it will promote better shooting skills and make you pay attention to the fundamentals of rifle shooting. which one, dependson how much you want to spend. starting out, IMO it's hard to go wrong with either a Marlin or Savage bolt action 22 rifle. they don't cost an arm and a leg and are pretty danged accurate as well. even new, they might cost a bit over $200. then there is always the option of browsing the pawn shops and gun stores for used rifles. there were plenty of old Winchester and Remington 22 rimfires that were pretty danged accurate and some of them can be bought pretty reasonably.

BTW, welcome to the forum! stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101
I do not have one but one of the CZ bolt 22 is in my near future. I have some my buddies( Forget the model and loved it). If I was just starting off shooting I would think long and hard about one.
My first rifle when I was 12 was a CZ 452 bolt action. The thing is a nail driver I still have it and wouldn't get rid of it. It is a great first rifle. A little heavy for me when I was 12 and shooting off hand competitions but I loved it
Old 10-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
I do not have one but one of the CZ bolt 22 is in my near future. I have some my buddies( Forget the model and loved it). If I was just starting off shooting I would think long and hard about one.
Thats what I have, is the CZ 455 Lux. If I bought that first, i'd have no need for my 10/22 and browning buckmark. The revolver is still nice though

Old 10-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #20
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Welcome aboard!

Many choices and opinions for you to think about, but I'll add the Marlin 795 and add Tech-Sights http://www.tech-sights.com/. Ruger 10/22 you can tacti-cool yourself and your bank account to death . CZ makes fantastic .22LRs. S&W M&P 15/22 mimics the AR platform, is a lot of fun. All of these are well built and accurate. And who knows what will be out when you get around to purchasing one. These would all be great used as well, provided they are taken care of.

Be sure to budget for a few magazines if you go semi-auto. Some are scarce and most are being gouged $$$ right now. Hopefully things will loosen up by the time you're ready.

Regardless of what you get, sign up for a Project Appleseed event http://appleseedinfo.org/ once you have a rifle. You'll learn an immense amount about being a rifleman and marksmanship. It's great for beginners and experts alike.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

hawkguy Likes This