Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Recomendations for accurate 22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Do not rule out a Ruger 10/22. I shot prairie dogs with mine. With a bolt action, you will miss out on the follow up shot. After the first shot, the dogs will be out to 150 yards. Then you pee all over yourself cause you cannot hit the 200yd ones. You need hi-cap mags and a autoloader to take them out. Believe me..been there done that. Tried a bolt, then went to Rem 700 in .223. Still missed that follow up shot. I'm not sayin I'm a terrible shot...but your target is moving.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1392 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 489

Once I got past the point of a single shot 22 bolt action is all anyone would trust me to own, I got a marlin 60. I have had no desire to own another bolt action since then. Shooting off a rest I can hit a quarter every time with my 10/22. I don't mean a bench rest. I am talking about propped up on the side of a tree. If a squirrel or rabbits head is smaller than a quarter I need to let that one grow up.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #23

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
U are using better ammo than i usually use.
Trust me my usual choice is CCI SV. I use the expensive stuff for competitions and the like or when I just feel like shooting a really tight group. I have a couple of bricks of the good stuff left I guess. I have a case of SV and a bunch of other stuff some of which is even cheaper. I generally use that in my semi-auto rifles.

Speaking of semi-auto rimfire rifles. You guys that love your Rugers would really like a Marlin 60 IMO. That is unless you have heavily modified your 10/22's. My 60SS has bested at least two brand new Rugers when all the rifles were less than a week old. I've shot some very tight groups with my Marlin too using CCI SV. It loves the stuff. They are accurate rifles. They just aren't as accurate as bolt action rifles and it's accuracy the OP asked for. I've nailed squirrels right behind the ear from 50 yards with no rest at all with that 60SS. It was DRT too. And my old Marlin 60 is almost as accurate.

I do believe that true marksmanship is about being able to hit what you want to hit from off angles, with your feet out of position, with no rest and even when the target is moving. When I was learning to shoot my brothers laughed at me if I started to us a rest of any kind. I use one now though because of various health issues. It beats not shooting at all or not shooting very much. I still love to shoot and if I have to sit down and use a rest to do it that's what I'm going to do.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 AM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I shot a 17mach2. Cz 453 yesterday at the range. It was nice but the bolt was no where as smooth as mine and the trigger had plenty of creep and wasnt as nice as my 455 before i did the yodaves trigger kit. Still a nice gun but the difference in price is not worth it. In my opinion the 455 is a much nicer gun overall.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #25

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have two Savage MKII fvxp .22 rifles. One has a standard bull barrel the other a fluted bull barrel. Excellent rifles with the accu trigger on both. We shoot off the bench using bipods and at 100 yards both are sub moa shooters.
We got a lead sled for xmas so we can see how accurate they really are when we are removed from the equation.