Recomendations for accurate 22 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

Recomendations for accurate 22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Save up money and buy an old
U.S.M.C. Remington 40x 22 training rifle. Their accuracy is still unmatched

Old 01-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #12

Liked 431 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Can't say enough about the CZ 455 varmint. I installed a YoDave trigger kit and I'm down to 18oz at the trigger with no creep. And since the barrels are interchangeable, you can buy a 22lr and then later one buy a replacement barrel in .17 HMR and .22 Mag. And also Lilja makes a drop-in match barrel as well. Under $500 for a gun that will easily put 5 shots inside a dime at 50 yards for me. You want better than that, get the Anschutz 64. You want to spend a little less, get a Savage.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:41 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I like the cz too. But i own one. i have seen the savages shoot very well too. But the finish on the cz is that of a much higher price.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #14

Liked 431 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Before I bought my CZ, I also considered Savage. I looked at the BTVS and the one that has the twisted flutes on the barrel. What gave my pause on the Savage and made me pick the CZ was the cheaper feel of the Savage. The action just felt thin and weak compared to the CZ. But I had saved up enough money that I wanted the best I could afford. If you're working within budget constraints, I would have no problem recommending the Savage if the CZ was outside your budget. They are still good guns.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #15

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
You want to spend a little less, get a Savage.
I have a CZ 453 (best rifle in the 45X series IMO) and a Savage MkIIBTV. The Savage is more accurate and has had a lot less problems. I know people don't like to hear that but it's true. From the bolt not working to RUST to the trigger not working to the really soft wood that gets dings very easy even though it's walnut I had a lot of problems with my CZ the first year I owned it. It seems to have gotten better. The trigger works all the time now and the bolt doesn't stick and I switched preservative oil and no more rust. And it will not shoot as accurate as my Savage. It's very close but no cigar.

I'm not saying all those things will happen with every CZ. I seriously doubt they will. They do "seem" to be built better but there's that thing of having more problems with the CZ. I have no problem saying the Savage is the better deal. I'm not about to sell either rifle but if push comes to shove the CZ will go first.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What kind of ammo u shooting jeff??

I have had no such problem with my cz455 varmint. Not even one problem. Given i have only had it for a few months i have shot it about 8 times and over 2k rounds and out shot a few savages at the range. I think the savages are pretty nice and shoot well but after shooting one i knew i did right buying the cz. Mine is kinda picky on ammo but most target 22 are anyway.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #17

Liked 183 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 133

I have an old remington 512 sportmaster bolt action and its super accurate. The wood stock was a little beat up and I got it for next to nothing. It shoots and functions just fine.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #18

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
What kind of ammo u shooting jeff??
I shoot everything from CCI SV to Tenex and Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match. The Federal gives me the best groups these days. Wolf did for a long time but for some reaon it just got less accurate in both my Savage and my CZ. I shoot a good bit of Eley Black EPS too. It shoots really well for me.

As for the problems it surprised me too. I should have taken photos of the rust because no one seems to believe me. I guess I could cook some up in Photoshop. But I wouldn't do that.

Again the problems seem to have gone away now. The bolt problem must have been a burr that got knocked off. The rust was fixed by going with a different wipe down oil.

I guess I just got that one that slips through once in a while. I don't know what else to think but they aren't perfect rifles. Nobody makes perfect rifles.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I do believe u.. seen some weird stuff from many manufacturers. Like u said no body is perfect. Sounds like u got the first gun made after a long holiday for some cezch guy.

U are using better ammo than i usually use. I havent gone with anything above eley club as of yet. Eley sport at 50yrds had been working very good so why change.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #20

I was given an old Mossberg 144 made in 1949 or 50 that is stupid accurate--this was the military training version of the model 44 civilian rifle--got new recruits used to shooting cheaply without a lot of recoil--(gun is so heavy it has none)--was even used to train snipers--gets boring putting one in another--my youngest daughter shot it for the 1st time in a snow storm @ 100 yds (can't make it too easy)--bulls eye hits!