Rear sight for Winchester

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Rear sight for Winchester

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Rear sight for Winchester

I was wondering if anyone knows where I mighty obtain a rear sight for a lever action Winchester 255. I have tried Winchester, several dealers, gunsmiths and Numrich. Somewhere during the production run, they changed from a metallic unit to one made of plastic. Of course I have the plastic and half is missing. A gunsmith said he could install a metalic original, if we could find one.

I've considered other brands and aftermarket items, but the original sight has a tang on each side to help locate the forestock.

I am restoring this gun and would like to use it without a scope. It looks like several Winchester models use the same sight and stock. They are the 190, 250 255, 270, 275, and 290.

You all have a great forum. As an avid plinker, I've learned quite a bit from your postings. Thanks all

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #2

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Try here. Winchester Bob's Gun Shop .Gun parts for many Winchester Models.Winchester Levera Action Rifle Parts,Winchester Hi Power Rifle Parts.Winchester Hi Power Automatic Rifle Parts, Winchester Factory Rifle Parts, Winchester Gun Stocks. Wincheter Saddle Ri They list one but don't say if it's plastic or not. They do say they don't have plastic front sights.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 03-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you for the link. I emailed them with no response, tried a fax yesterday and today. I'll see if that works out. Thanks again Gard

Old 03-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #4

These sights are a dime a dozen, as there were so many of these made. You shouldn't have a problem, and I believe you're right in saying all those models should fit.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #5

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by .22hustler View Post
These sights are a dime a dozen, as there were so many of these made. You shouldn't have a problem, and I believe you're right in saying all those models should fit.
Sometimes what should be the easiest thing in the world to find is impossible. I've been trying to find a set of 311 shotgun barrels for what seems like forever.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 03-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by .22hustler View Post
I've got lots of dimes and no sight. Were you speaking rhetorically or do you actually know of a source where one could be obtained? Over the many similar models produced by Winchester, that involved tens of thousands of rifles, you would think at least one extra sight exists today.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post
I've got lots of dimes and no sight. Were you speaking rhetorically or do you actually know of a source where one could be obtained? Over the many similar models produced by Winchester, that involved tens of thousands of rifles, you would think at least one extra sight exists today.
I believe the standard dovetail groove is cut into the barrel. Wouldn't any standard dovetail sight work?

Old 03-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My rifle's rear sight's base, is held into place by a machine screw inserted into the top of the barrel. I have considered having a dovetail machined into the barrel, then any number of sights could be utilized.
The problem is, that the base of the original sight has tangs, or extensions of the base, which extend from the barrel, and over lap the top edges of the forestock. This helps to prevent any lateral movement of the grip. This is found with both the original metal sights and the later plastic versions.
I have considered having a bent plate manufactured to replicate this original shape and function, and then silver soldering a new sight to the plate.
Thanks for your thoughts. Gard

Old 03-17-2011, 01:20 AM   #9

Gunbroker.com has your sight...

Old 03-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Indeed it does! I've never been on that website and just signed up for the auction and made a bid. The posted photos are the first I've seen, of what the complete sight even looks like.

Thank you Hustler for the "heads up". I greatly appreciate your help. Gard