Rationing 22LR and helping each other. - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Rationing 22LR and helping each other.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
now this is not what i would be talking about. i'm not talking about guys who have ZERO 22, or guys who haven't bought it in months or years.

i'm talking about myself honestly, and others who seek and buy up as much 22 as i can for the last year (and honestly, i don't have that much). this panic has changed my behavior. changed MANY of us. time to stop panicking and reduce use. that is all.

many are playing innocent here. yet somehow almost EVERY shooter i know is in some scheme to get 22. we need to settle down.

if you have ZERO 22, by all means get some if you can. if you have thousands of rounds, settle down and stop buying for awhile.
I haven't bought any 22lr in 10 years due to the 10 bricks my dad bought 20 years ago and left to me. I am down to 2 bricks. I don't feel I am part of the problem but if I find any at reasonable prices, you can bet I will buy all I can afford. I don't think that is in any way inconsiderate. I don't intend to sell any at a profit but if I can get enough I will take care of those like myself who want to be assured of not being limited by unrealistic prices caused by hoarders and gluttons. I no longer have the "leave some for others" attitude. I will buy what I feel I'll need for the rest of my shooting life. This won't happen again!!!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #42
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

DTeed: I think part of the issue is, that no one really thought It would be THIS Bad for so long. Folks saw it In 2008 & 2012, but nowhere nearly as bad as the last 12-16 Months. I also think, and get from folks I talked to at SHOT, that It's different calibers, in different parts of the Country. Here, the ONLY thing you can't find is 22LR, and some of the LGS workers tell me its due to the Sheer # of 22's here. talk to just about ANY kid in Middle or HS and they will tell you they have at least 1 22LR of some sort. All three local Area HS's have Shooting Teams, and also one Middle school has one as well, Where the Principal and His Family are also SASS members. With that being said: I don't Fault ANYone for using reasonable restraint, but buying what they can, as long bas they aren't reselling It at 2X-4X THE ORIG. COST strictly to make money off the hardship of others. In self-reflection, I probably would have bought a few more Bricks myself 2 years ago, if I thought it would last this long. I may trade some of other calibers for the next few months instead of buying more 22 off the shelf.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 03-28-2014, 04:04 AM   #43

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I haven't bought any 22 LR ammo in over a year. What more can I do? I am considering buying a 223 bolt action because 22 wmr ammo is going to be the same price. Recently I paid $300 for 1,000 maxi mags.
Check out Midsouth shooters supply, I let a few members know when they had .22WMR or .17HMR. Both were 12.00 to 14.00 depending on flavor of bullet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
You know, if I could find just ONE of the rimfire calibers I shoot, I would sell my LR, and the ammo, and just shoot that caliber. But 22 mag & 17 HMR aren't showing up very reliably, either. 17 WSM, I think I've seen it once, and there's like, what, 1 gun that shoots it? Nope.
See above

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1 View Post
9mm is pretty much back to normal around here but 22 short, LR, & mag is non-existant. All the gun stores have the same story: "we got a bunch in last week & it was gone by the end of the day." the shelves are full of 17 hmr. From time to time I would see some CCI mini mags or velocitors show up but always passed on them. Walmart did have some federal 22 auto match 325 rounds for about $18 just after new years & I bought 1 box (1 box limit), that's the only 22 i've bought in a year & a half. right after a I bought that, a guy came up with his wife & son & bought the last 3 boxes. he must've known it was there & brought the family along because he didn't have a cart & didn't buy anything else & walked out the door after his purchase. those are the people that piss me off because you know he does that everytime there's any available.

I've been trying to ration it by not shootin as much 22 when I go out & the cold @ss winter we're having has helped me with that (it's snowing again by the way). So instead I take out my centerfire guns & shoot them, since I reload 32 S&W long & 32 H&R mag, the cost of that is comparable to shooting 22.
9mm went from 19.00 per 100 to 21.00 per 50, That is not the same. Glad I reload.
I'm Like others. Bought many bricks years ago when they were $23.00

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #44

Default Rationing 22LR and helping each other.

Nothing in stock right now....on that site in 22.
If you look HARD ENOUGH, you can still find 100 ct. (at least in 9MM) for under $30,..usually it's remanufactured, which i'm not always found of. I do have 2 vendors I trust, one is local. the other I See at Local Gun shows, so he is regional, and has always promised "if anything is ever wrong on any of my Ammo, you will Get a 100% refund of that purchase." I have also (in the last year) gotten 100 Ct. of the Federal Am. Eagle in 9MM for well under $40(about $36) locally...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 03-28-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #45

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Very sad that it came to that for you. Trying to keep for it getting to that point.

I will never let it get to that point. As I've said before I will just stop shooting. My 10/22 takedown is also my wrol/shtf food procurement rifle so it holds more value to me than simply sport shooting.

With da ruskies and Us on the potential edge of WWIII you never know when it could all go bad . And while I don't believe myself to be bear grylls I believe I could atleast bag a hog or squirrel or rabbit if need be . At this point I wouldn't sell my takedown and 2450 rds of ammo for 3 grand

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-31-2014, 02:36 AM   #46

We feel The same about Our 22's. Even though we enjoy shooting our bigger stuff, we have the most fun with our Rimfires. I'd love an AR in .17 or the Excel/Mitchell 22Mag., if only they had magazines of more then 9 rounds...

Old 03-31-2014, 05:49 PM   #47

Default Rationing 22LR and helping each other.

When I saw $42 for 50 Rds. Of 357 thats where I draw the line. We only have about 350 rds. of 357. and about the same# of 38+P's. We have a lot more of 38 LRN practice ammo in 158,148DEWC's, and 130-132 RN...
I have been trying to find more of the Hornady CD Lite "pink" 90Gr. Ftx
since it's a reduced load, less stress on her hands. we have 3 Boxes of the reg. and 2 of the Lite for her...

Last edited by DrFootball; 03-31-2014 at 05:52 PM.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #48

It is Sad my Friend. When I went to my Pawn/Gun guy to pick up a gun for review, my Dealer friend( an ex local cop) was surprised I didn't buy 3 Bricks of 22 for me and the wife and all of his last 5-50 rd. 45LC ammo...

Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #49

Liked 2573 Times on 1673 Posts

Re: Big blues post... Maybe it was someone who is on the forum

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 343 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 115

As I've mentioned before, in my area, it's become a new past time for a few retired farts I know to congregate at WallyMart and gather up any and all pistol ammo in the middle of the night as it comes in, namely .22LR. They buy it gangland style and together re-sell it at the local gun shows for a profit. I know most don't shoot, they hoard it. There's no concern about the guy wanting a box to teach his son to shoot, just a line of "Come see me at the show next weekend, I'll have some". Marked way up of course.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977