Rationing 22LR and helping each other. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Rationing 22LR and helping each other.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 07:27 PM   #31
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3073 Times on 2087 Posts
Likes Given: 657

Default Rationing 22LR and helping each other.

Again, trying to conserve. Wally here has no 22 in Any of the 4 stores here within 1 hr. of me. All 3 of our Big 5's are stocking all Handgun, Shotgun , and Rifle Ammo, most only have limits on 22 when they have it. The LGSs' are spotty at best. Except for our Pawn& Gun Guys, who have 3 stores on our area, and I have told the short that they were getting Federal Am. Eagle or Champion, selling at $7.50-$8 per. box, the the self acclaimed "#1" spot in town sellers it for &11-$12 a Box!! Sick, which is totally out of line. So this Past few days, even though we have been cutting back on, I (we) had a friend in from Cali who had not been shooting in 5 years. She's a private performance coach who works with athletes, so she's been in PHX for spring training. She has a new client who's a competition shooter, and since she had not been shooting in several years she asked us to take her out with us. Normally with out a shortage on we'd have shot 250 to 300 rds. Of 22's. We shot 112 rounds of 22, and 4 mags. of
9MM out of my LC9. I showed her what a magazine change was. Next time when she comes back she will get a little more In Depth demonstration. The point of me rambling on here(you kids: old folks do this) is that I shot less 22 instead of more.

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1395429490.628268.jpg
"D--- your standing poorly and your grip is wrong...here watch me....."imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1395429621.881837.jpg
Then she was pulling the trigger too slow, causing a "hang fire" on the second round.......imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1395429852.768830.jpg
So after adjusting her grip AND stance again( while MzGrn shot all these shots! Thx. Babe!-she had the small camera, still can't close her had all the way but shot one handed some)...then our friend got it right.....
imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1395430033.298103.jpg

So I'm still at "Just under 3K" of 22's,...sad that I had to "Ration" what I shoot and what gives MzGrn and I the most enjoyment( besides 5 shots in the center mass at 30Ft.!!!) but that's what it is today...
Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 03-21-2014 at 07:33 PM.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1985 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 380

I'm tired of looking for 22LR. I just got rid of a Ruger SR22 because there is no ammo for it. Ended up selling and using towards an AK - because there IS lots of 7.62 x 39

Old 03-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #33

Very sad that it came to that for you. Trying to keep for it getting to that point.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 03-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #34

Liked 2453 Times on 1397 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

The biggest part of the problem is we Americans already have

the market cornered on two things:

1-impatience

2-pigheaded selfishness

We need to stick it to flippers by being patient,

and letting their overpriced crap rot.

THEN they will stop buying all the ammo up, and

we can all get some. I have been buying less, and using less.

Last edited by therewolf; 03-22-2014 at 03:56 PM.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1985 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Very sad that it came to that for you. Trying to keep for it getting to that point.

don't be sad - shooting the AK is MUCH more fun!

Old 03-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #36

Liked 2403 Times on 1559 Posts

I'm going to get a wad of 20 dollar bills and go to the next gun show, looking for the flippers. When I see that $60 brick, I will act surprised to see it, whip out my money, then "take that important call" on my phone and walk away when they stick their hand out to grab the money

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 03-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #37

That's funny Primer!!!! I Bet they follow you around the show floor trying to get your attention after that. My "I draw the line in the sand price" is $50 for 500, even though $40 is the "Should Be" price, and that excludes Thunderbolts, which are the dirtiest 22 Ammo ever. Last summer I bought 3-325 Bricks of the Federal Auto Match @ $19 Per. Now you can't Find them for Less then $46 a brick...Even the Federal American Eagles & Federal Champions are $9-$10 a Box of 50,..although I have been getting them at about $7-$7.50 a Box...We are at the point of limiting our 22 shooting to 100-150 per outing Maximum, where we used to do 200 or more for an afternoon....I have a bunch of 50Ct. Boxes i'm shooting, and Holding on to 100 Packs & Bricks(5 Bricks and 4 100 pack trays, 2 CCI Mini Mags & 2 Winchester Super X's..

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:32 PM   #38

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 984

I haven't bought any .22lr in two years which of course cut into my "inventory". During the good years I often bought a brick when I thought of it then threw it in the closet. I had about 6,000 rounds that's now down to a third of that today, sadly a lot of it is crappy Golden Bullet. Since I bought during years of plenty it wasn't destructive hoarding, there was lots of .22lr on the shelves back then.

I've shot a lot less over the last year than any year in recent memory and haven't been buying calibers in demand. I've bought just a little 5.56 and 45 Colt and quite a bit of 40S&W, which has been plentiful. Most of my shooting has been .22lr, 5.56, 7.62x39 and 45ACP that I had on hand plus 40S&W that I could buy.

I think this is the way to do it. Shoot multiple calibers, then when you see a good stock, pick up some but don't be a glutton.

And of course save your brass and get into reloading. Pick up powder, primers and bullets when you see a good stock but don't hoard.

Hopefully things will ease up soon, it's insane how hard it is to find .22lr!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

People Like This 
Old 03-23-2014, 12:46 AM   #39

Liked 2403 Times on 1559 Posts

I've shot 5 rounds of 22 this year, 4 to put down a sick opossum, and one more trying to hit a groundhog on the run. :-/

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 03-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #40

Default Rationing 22LR and helping each other.

Right now our finances are a bit tight and light. I have not made any big purchases since early Feb., and won't do so until after Memorial Day. I'm currently sitting on exactly 2,848 asstd. 22LR,. I have friends offering me double my cost to sell them some. When I had closer to 4000, I gave a few away and sold a few( one friend had none at all and insisted he pay me. I let him give me $20 for 3 boxes of Winchester Super X, but threw in a box of CCI Blazers, and a box of CCI 22 Shot shells...). right now I'm waiting on the prices to get closer to normal, and then it will only be bricks of 10-50Ct. Boxes or a Brick of loose Ammo for my reserves. The wife wants to crack open the last brick of Auto Match, but it isn't happening until we can buy a brick of it for less then $25.. She doesn't have any more outdoor Rimfire Matches until October,because of her hand surgery, the indoor ones at our regular indoor Range begin in early may. When you register and pay the fee, you can buy ammo from them at a break when they have it, and they are saving some fore those Matches. They usually use the Eley primed Remington or the Federal Gold Medal. To register for the matches it's $12 for Members and $20 for non members. Members get the ammo for $6 per 50, $5 ea. For 100 or more. Non members pay whatever the regular price is. When you rent a gun from them you get 50 Centerfire or 100 Rimfire as part of a rental. We both are waiting for some stuff we bought(guns) before the holidays that have not made it in yet, and a few guns to review. I'm supposed to get a few from Taurus, and one or two others. Tractor Supply just opened here last week, and they are carrying ammo and a limited selection of Guns and accessory gear. I'm afraid my good guy pawn shop may suffer a bit sales wise on Guns, but we'll see.....

Primer: I feel you.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.