Rationing 22LR and helping each other.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Rationing 22LR and helping each other.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3272 Times on 2226 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Default Rationing 22LR and helping each other.

As many of you know, we have been dealing with an Ammo shortage most of the last 2years, esp. 22LR. I'm starting this thread so we can discuss ways to help each other, and at the same time, share ways we can reduce our consumption. We hope that we can get to see the prices lowered at some point, I'm ask I g people not to post links to websites, but we can quote prices on Ammoseek and such. So far we have some aside from myself to abstain or at least reduce how much we consume..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

In my experience, the ammo shortage seems to be impacting the large cites and metro areas the most. I live just north of Atlanta where 22LR and 9mm are near impossible to find.

However, I've noticed that in areas outside the Atlanta metro area 9mm and in some cases 22LR are in abundant supply. So what I've done is worked out an agreement with a friend of mine. He lives near me, but is often in Athens or other non-metro areas of Georgia where ammo is easily found. I have a standing order with him. If he finds 22LR or 9mm he buys me X number of rounds. I keep him well informed to my ammo needs, so I don't really run short anymore. He's also a shooter, so he knows when ammo is a deal and when its priced to rip you off, so I don't worry about paying inflated prices for either caliber.

This works out very well for me, as I don't travel outside the metro area as frequently as he does. I get ammo when others can't find it; my buddy is now assured that his friends will be able to join him at the range, as they will be loaded with ammo (pun intended).

So my tip for the folks here on the forum: If you've got a friend that travels frequently, enlist them as your personal ammo shopper. If you don't, maybe there is a member of this community that lives near you that is willing to strike up a similar arrangement.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #3

Liked 2292 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 501

I like to have 1 brick of .22 that I'm working on and one in reserve. As I finish one brick I buy another. This seems to be a reasonable amount in our current situation.

Many folks freaked the frick out, and buy every brick they can, at a much faster rate than they actually consume. If your rate of consumption is a brick or less per month, and you have 10 bricks in reserve and are still stock piling at a rate greater than you use, I would suggest that you are part of your own problem of being able to find ammo easily.

I'm having good luck at keeping one month of reserve, and replacing each month, by buying online. Not so lucky with in store purchases.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 03-14-2014 at 12:35 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #4

Liked 3022 Times on 1806 Posts
Likes Given: 2044

i'm in!

i will cut my 22 use by 50%.

i wiil NOT buy overpriced 22, or 22 from gougers!

i will not panic buy 22 from this point on (meaning i won't buy as much as i can every time i see it, regardless of need).

i'll stick to this the following 6 months. more if the craziness continues.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #5

this is kind of what we we need to improve a bit imo. its great y'all are working together and not overpaying.

but...we need more to get out of the crisis. having people help buy up ammo is somewhat OPPOSITE of what we should be doing.

this is about rationing, and trying to bring back stability to the market.

what can everyone do to control their use and panic buying of 22? lets impact the market if we can.

i think simply not overpaying and slowing down use will have a HUGE impact myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
In my experience, the ammo shortage seems to be impacting the large cites and metro areas the most. I live just north of Atlanta where 22LR and 9mm are near impossible to find.

However, I've noticed that in areas outside the Atlanta metro area 9mm and in some cases 22LR are in abundant supply. So what I've done is worked out an agreement with a friend of mine. He lives near me, but is often in Athens or other non-metro areas of Georgia where ammo is easily found. I have a standing order with him. If he finds 22LR or 9mm he buys me X number of rounds. I keep him well informed to my ammo needs, so I don't really run short anymore. He's also a shooter, so he knows when ammo is a deal and when its priced to rip you off, so I don't worry about paying inflated prices for either caliber.

This works out very well for me, as I don't travel outside the metro area as frequently as he does. I get ammo when others can't find it; my buddy is now assured that his friends will be able to join him at the range, as they will be loaded with ammo (pun intended).

So my tip for the folks here on the forum: If you've got a friend that travels frequently, enlist them as your personal ammo shopper. If you don't, maybe there is a member of this community that lives near you that is willing to strike up a similar arrangement.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1855 Times on 1271 Posts
Likes Given: 682

I haven't bought any 22 LR ammo in over a year. What more can I do? I am considering buying a 223 bolt action because 22 wmr ammo is going to be the same price. Recently I paid $300 for 1,000 maxi mags.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I like to have 1 brick of .22 that I'm working on and one in reserve. As I finish one brick I buy another. This seems to be a reasonable amount in our current situation.

Many folks freaked the frick out, and buy every brick they can, at a much faster rate than they actually consume. If your rate of consumption is a brick or less per month, and you have 10 bricks in reserve and are still stock piling at a rate greater than you use, I would suggest that you are part of your own problem of being able to find ammo easily.

I'm having good luck at keeping one month of reserve, and replacing each month, by buying online. Not so lucky with in store purchases.
I don't have a single 22 round. I have not been able to find any locally or online. Where online do you buy it?

Old 03-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
As many of you know, we have been dealing with an Ammo shortage most of the last 2years, esp. 22LR. I'm starting this thread so we can discuss ways to help each other, and at the same time, share ways we can reduce our consumption. We hope that we can get to see the prices lowered at some point, I'm ask I g people not to post links to websites, but we can quote prices on Ammoseek and such. So far we have some aside from myself to abstain or at least reduce how much we consume..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
thanks. we can and need to try and start changing this situation.

trying to start similar threads on other forums to spread the word would also help.

we HAVE to RATION to make an impact, gentlemen. that means attempting to TEMPORARILY reduce demand greatly. that means DECREASE both USE and PURCHASING.

we have to control OUR OWN behaviors and encourage others to do the same.

if you buy as much as you can every time you see it, YOU are part of the problem whether you want to admit it or not. if you ACTIVELY hunt 22 everywhere and attempt to grab up as much as you can, that is part of the problem. if you wait in lines for 22, that is part of the problem.

make a pledge to improve this! step up!

EDIT: wanted to add my "don't panic!" sign! think we need to see more of it!
sticker-375x360.jpg  

Last edited by hawkguy; 03-14-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygeegee View Post
I don't have a single 22 round. I have not been able to find any locally or online. Where online do you buy it?
now this is not what i would be talking about. i'm not talking about guys who have ZERO 22, or guys who haven't bought it in months or years.

i'm talking about myself honestly, and others who seek and buy up as much 22 as i can for the last year (and honestly, i don't have that much). this panic has changed my behavior. changed MANY of us. time to stop panicking and reduce use. that is all.

many are playing innocent here. yet somehow almost EVERY shooter i know is in some scheme to get 22. we need to settle down.

if you have ZERO 22, by all means get some if you can. if you have thousands of rounds, settle down and stop buying for awhile.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I am just getting back into shooting/hunting after years (>20) of dis-interest. After my Dad passed away last Nov I resurrected the guns/rifles he gave me. All my firearms are from my father. Yes, I still have the Daisy BB gun he gave me at 12, the .22 semi-auto Mossberg at 14, & the Mossberg 20 ga I received for my 16th birthday. I also have the 1948 pre-10 S&W .38 Special I received from him recently. I was shocked at the cost & availability of .22LR. I purchased a brick for $.24/rd. I was planning on building a range on my property this summer but I have no interest in rewarding the gougers or hoarders. Count me in!