The quietest rifle made...

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > The quietest rifle made...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default The quietest rifle made...

Here is a picture of an integrally suppressed .22. This is a Savage MK 2 that has had the barrel reworked by Thompson Machine. The barrel is ported so that any .22 ammo may be used, and it has a used friendly monolithic baffle stack that may be removed for cleaning.

Its quiet and its accurate. When I pullled it out of the case for the first time, the discussion at the range was if dry firing it was louder than the actual shot itself. This thing meters at 91 decibles when dry fired, 92 when its fired. For comparison, most BB guns measure around 99 to 100 when fired.

This is fast becoming my favorite rifle. The crows around here part like the Red Sea when I step out into the yard with it. They've already learned at what range to stay away.

Its fun to shoot, and when squirrel hunting with it, it adds a whole different dimension to it...they dont know that they are being shot at, so if there are several around, they dont run off and disappear.

07/02 FFL
AR CHL inst.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2012, 02:08 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotGuns
Here is a picture of an integrally suppressed .22. This is a Savage MK 2 that has had the barrel reworked by Thompson Machine. The barrel is ported so that any .22 ammo may be used, and it has a used friendly monolithic baffle stack that may be removed for cleaning.

Its quiet and its accurate. When I pullled it out of the case for the first time, the discussion at the range was if dry firing it was louder than the actual shot itself. This thing meters at 91 decibles when dry fired, 92 when its fired. For comparison, most BB guns measure around 99 to 100 when fired.

This is fast becoming my favorite rifle. The crows around here part like the Red Sea when I step out into the yard with it. They've already learned at what range to stay away.

Its fun to shoot, and when squirrel hunting with it, it adds a whole different dimension to it...they dont know that they are being shot at, so if there are several around, they dont run off and disappear.
sounds pretty awesome. Crows and squirrels part like the Red Sea when I shoot my 12 ga, but it's probably because of the noise. Let's just say when I squirrel hunt they DEFINITELY know they're being shot at.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Did you just send in the barrel? What kind of cost?

Sounds pretty awesome. Are those numbers with sub-sonic ammo?

Old 05-19-2012, 03:06 AM   #4

The gun comes just like it is from Thompson Machine. The barrel is actually ported so that most any ammo can be used. In truth shooting CCI standard ammo isnt much different from shooting CCI subsonics.

They retail for 700+ tax. To me, its well worth it. With subsonic ammo it is stupid quiet, about like popping a staple gun. Of course, you must pay the tax stamp of 200 bucks to the ATF, so, with tax you are looking around 1000 bucks. Yeah, its a bit pricey, but as of right now, it is THE industry standard for quietness. There is nothing quieter.

07/02 FFL
AR CHL inst.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

wish we could have cool toys like that in California.

why bolt action and not semi auto?

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 05-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #6

The semi auto is noticably louder than the bolt action due to the noice of the action and the bolt slamming back and forth.

Although my semi (Ruger 10/2 with integrally suppressed barrel) is pretty quiet, its not in the same league with the bolt action.

07/02 FFL
AR CHL inst.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #7

Default the quietest rifle made

Because it's not an added on suppressor and just a shrouded barrel would that be legal in Calif.?

Old 05-23-2012, 02:23 AM   #8

No. Everything is illegal in California except Sin.

07/02 FFL
AR CHL inst.

sputnik1988 Likes This 
Old 05-23-2012, 02:46 AM   #9

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfowlie
Because it's not an added on suppressor and just a shrouded barrel would that be legal in Calif.?
Any form of sound suppressor is illegal.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 05-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #10

If you like guns and you live in California... you're pretty well screwed.