Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Quiet round capable of possum-sized pests (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/quiet-round-capable-possum-sized-pests-54953/)

buckhuntr 01-07-2012 04:23 AM

Quiet round capable of possum-sized pests

Wasn't sure of the best place to ask this, but I need a quiet AND effective round - rifle or handgun - that is capable of dispatching a possum or similar-sized critter inside the chicken pen, without scaring the next 6-month's egg production out of the birds.
Thursday evening after work, I was making my nightly rounds in the pen to gather eggs and check for pests, and found a possum on the prowl, very near the nest box. :eek:
While the possum (a fairly young one, but plenty of teeth) was blinded by the headlamp, I shot it with my LCP, but the noise was enough to induce panic in the guineas and chickens. I'd like to be able to kill the next varmint with spooking the birds so much. Any suggestions?

JonM 01-07-2012 04:42 AM

If you dont have a supressor a 22 short or 22cb will get it done at very close range with headshots. Extremely low noise even in a pistol. Of course you will have to load each round singly by hand

Longer the barrel lower the the noise on those two rounds.

Marlinman 01-07-2012 05:38 AM

Might also try a subsonic 22 lr.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

c3shooter 01-07-2012 10:33 AM

Bolt action or lever action 22 rifle, and CCI CB Longs. They will feed decently, make about as much noise as striking an old time kitchen match. I use them for indoor target work. No ear plugs needed

ellis36 01-07-2012 01:28 PM

As an alternative, maybe a Hav-a-Hart type of trap baited with some canned tuna or spoiled piece of meat. I've caught several possums/raccoons wandering around my barn this way. The advantage; you don't have to be there to catch him.

Gonzilla 01-09-2012 02:38 AM

I have shot several "problem" raccoons w the 22 short, std velocity is quieter but getting hard to find. I use an old pump so shorts, longs, long rifle - no problem. W 23" barrel, hammer falling is louder than bullet. Do NOT use subsonic LR round - way too loud and still got too much range left in her.

Note: you will have to site-in the light rounds. Very accurate - short range

Marlinman 01-09-2012 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzilla
I have shot several "problem" raccoons w the 22 short, std velocity is quieter but getting hard to find. I use an old pump so shorts, longs, long rifle - no problem. W 23" barrel, hammer falling is louder than bullet. Do NOT use subsonic LR round - way too loud and still got too much range left in her.

Note: you will have to site-in the light rounds. Very accurate - short range

The cb longs are a subsonic round and you can hear the pin hit them.

Bushman 01-09-2012 05:48 AM

I'll add another nod for the CCI CB Longs. I shoot them in my Marlin 70 and it's the quietest 22 I've ever heard.
You can hear the bullet smack into what your shooting.

Gonzilla 01-09-2012 07:40 AM

I've got a brick of the Remington subsonic LR and it will ge the neighbors attention. Didnt live up to advertising. I'll try to buy a boxCB Longs, any particular brand besides CCI ? I'll try Walmart and see what's for sale.

Marlinman 01-09-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzilla
I've got a brick of the Remington subsonic LR and it will ge the neighbors attention. Didnt live up to advertising. I'll try to buy a boxCB Longs, any particular brand besides CCI ? I'll try Walmart and see what's for sale.

As far as i know cci is the only maker of cb longs. Other companies have a version but walmart doesnt sell them brands-at least not around here they dont.