Questions about building precision 10/22 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Questions about building precision 10/22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 02:11 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How to get the most accuracy out of a 10/22...hmm, I would suggest to start by selling it and buying an remington 597... enormously more accurate out of the box. My buddy has a few hundred in his 10/22 and it STILL wont keep up with my 597 (that is bone stock as it came from the box).

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 06-08-2011, 02:15 AM   #22

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
How to get the most accuracy out of a 10/22...hmm, I would suggest to start by selling it and buying an remington 597... enormously more accurate out of the box. My buddy has a few hundred in his 10/22 and it STILL wont keep up with my 597 (that is bone stock as it came from the box).
Hey, what a great, helpful response!

Old 06-08-2011, 02:22 AM   #23

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Hey, what a great, helpful response!
It really is, I'm not being a fanboy about it. I love the 10/22 and they are great rifles for what they are. But go to a gun shop and pick up a 597, you will immediatly notice that it has, what would be called in the 10/22 world, a "heavy barrel". They have last shot bolt hold open. The 10/22 does have more options to choose from when it comes to customizing them, but volquartsen makes all of the important things (sear, trigger, barrel, etc.) for the 597 just like they do for the 10/22.

You will also notice the price difference, oddly the 597 costs around $40 bucks less than the 10/22. But my favorite thing about the 597 is that it feels like a "real" rifle, it has some heft to it like you would expect from a remington 700....

They also have all of the cheap chinese made crap available for them too, such as crappy stocks and pos extended mags just like 10/22's, just not as many.

Finally, they also have some very nice (and affordable) stock selections for them if you so desire, the barrel is free floated from the factory. You can easily slide a dollar bill between the barrel and the stock with plenty of room to spare.

Again, im not a fanboy, they are both excellent rifles, it is just my opinion that the 597 is a superior rifle.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:39 AM   #24

That may be, but the OP was talking specifically about the 10/22, not asking for recommendations for an alternative. That's all I'm saying.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #25

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I understand, and I meant no offence.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:52 AM   #26

None taken, Cory!

Old 06-08-2011, 03:25 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cory 2: I understand there are rifles that outshoot custom 10/22s and I'm fine with that. I'm putting this 10/22 together for a couple personal reasons; A. I'm a gunsmith at heart and love to tinker and work on guns as often as possible B. I want to have the ability to say I built the rifle from parts and fit them myself. Pride of craftmanship and ownership and all that jazz.

Rifleman55: I've had a chance to test out a few Savage rifles and I can agree they are great shooters, but I tried to eliminate alternatives before I started the thread, but I do appreciate the input, its good info for me if I recommend a rifle for someone else. As for the Ruger smiths working on my build, I never really intended to have anyone besides myself work on the rifle so that wont be a problem.

I would have been buying my KIDD trigger and maybe the reciever this month but I've had some unforeseen mishaps that are starting to bite into the "fun" portion of my budget. I'm going to try to get some odd jobs to make up the difference. That's life I suppose.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
Cory 2: I understand there are rifles that outshoot custom 10/22s and I'm fine with that. I'm putting this 10/22 together for a couple personal reasons; A. I'm a gunsmith at heart and love to tinker and work on guns as often as possible B. I want to have the ability to say I built the rifle from parts and fit them myself. Pride of craftmanship and ownership and all that jazz.

Rifleman55: I've had a chance to test out a few Savage rifles and I can agree they are great shooters, but I tried to eliminate alternatives before I started the thread, but I do appreciate the input, its good info for me if I recommend a rifle for someone else. As for the Ruger smiths working on my build, I never really intended to have anyone besides myself work on the rifle so that wont be a problem.

I would have been buying my KIDD trigger and maybe the reciever this month but I've had some unforeseen mishaps that are starting to bite into the "fun" portion of my budget. I'm going to try to get some odd jobs to make up the difference. That's life I suppose.

Understood. It may take longer and cost more, but I see why you want to do a build yourself.

Once done, find a nice Mossberg US44 model, $300.00 at the most, a great shooting piece of American History, better yet, about $350. will get you a very nice US miltary trainer from about 1943. They shoot great with the peep sights, lots of fun when you get tired of the new guns as I have.
My scoped Savage has shot a perfect group, 5 @ 50, where to you go from there, to something old andd fun.

Think about it once your 10-22 is done.

My best, John K

Old 06-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
You'll never regret going with KIDD components!