Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Questions about building precision 10/22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Questions about building precision 10/22

I'm looking to build a 10/22 to fill several purposes, open competition, fun, and maybe a little vermin thining. I've already got my fun gun 10/22 but I'd like a 22lr that can say to hell with tacks and drive pins. So I've got a few questions I'd like others to weigh in on.
I want to develop the build around 2 particular factory loads, all high-velocity from CCI so my first question is this, what is the optimum twist rate and length of a bull barrel for a 22lr bullet traveling between 1200 and 1450 fps?
The three CCI loads are the following:
Velocitor 40 grain CPHP 1435fps @ muzzle
AR Tactical 40 grain CPRN 1200fps @ muzzle
Select 40 grain LRN (this is just in case there's a shortage on AR Tactical, they're mirror image rounds by the looks of it save the copper plating)
Excluding human error the barrel and ammo match are the heart of accuracy in a rifle, so I figure its a good place to start.
So can anyone give me any information or suggestions on good barrels and the length and twists?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

If you want to get serious about accuracy, you're starting with the wrong ammo. Using good match ammo will improve your accuracy before you even start changing the gun.

1:16 is the near universal twist rate for 22LR and you will be hard pressed to find a different rate because it works.

Barrels? Green Mountain, Volquartsen, Lilja - there are a lot of good 10/22 barrels out there, it's just limited by how much you want to spend.

Get good ammo with a good barrel, a good trigger and bed the action in the stock and you'll get an amazing improvement in accuracy over stock. After that you'll be chasing after ever diminishing returns.

Try RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community! for way more information than you want to know about making a 10/22 accurate.

Last edited by natman; 05-25-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions, I want to try and iron out every detail before I actually build the gun. I've always found CCI 22lr, especially the Velocitor to be pretty accurate, what would be a good place to start looking for match ammo?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #4

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, I want to try and iron out every detail before I actually build the gun. I've always found CCI 22lr, especially the Velocitor to be pretty accurate, what would be a good place to start looking for match ammo?
22 Rim Fire Ammo Test

Accurate .22 Long Rifle Ammo

Lapua Ammo 22LR Volume Pricing for 500 Round Bricks

.22 cal ammunition, RWS, Lapua, Eley, Sk Jagd, Winchester, Remington, CCI, Federal ammo

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In my experience, Lilja & Hart make the 2 best barrels for drop in 10/22. You've going to pay for them but you get consistency of .0001 and they come already hand lapped. Both of them are 1-16 twist with a finished length of 21".

RWS R50 and Eley Benchrest Gold have been my 2 top performing ammo with Federal Ultramatch and Wolf MT coming close. You'll likely want a rim thickness gauge to measure & sort by rim thickness.

You'll need to drop it in a good stock & bed it. I prefer Acraglas Gel from Brownells.

If I was you I'd mill the boltface to .043 rim thickness and radius the back bottom of the bolt for easier hammer reset with target (subsonic) ammo. If you need more detail or have questions fire away.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess I am expecting a bit much to think Velocitor and AR Tactical rounds to perform outstanding results by just looking at statistics but the Velocitor is what I plan to use if I need to do pest control. Lapua and Eley look like they can be pretty accurate on their own so I'll have to get a hold of some of it when I finish the build.

Is it better to free float a barrel or bed it? Most of the stocks I see by just glancing through the options for stocks are free float designs. Which is a better process accuracy-wise?

I did plan on getting a rim-thickness gauge, got that on my tool wish list.
Can you explain why I'd need to mil the boltface to .043 rim thickness? I can do it, I just dont know why is all

Old 05-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #7

Likes Given: 5

I have found the 10/22 I built from scratch actually likes Federal Target, 325 round boxes for $14.00 at Wally World, made for semi autos so less powder fouling. At 25 yards it will shoot 1 hole, at 50 it will open up to .5 to a little over .5 inches.
I have a Clark Custom Barrel, Clark Custom trigger job that breaks at 2.5 lbs with no creep. All the internals are standard Ruger with a Boyd Fire and Ice stock. PM me and when I return to the home 20 I will send you pics.
It cost around $600 to build but it is a blast. At 25 yards I shoot the small air soft ammo off of golf tees without hitting the T. No Bull.

"It is when people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." Patrick Henery ... "The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!" George Washington

Old 05-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 200 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Nothing wrong with your ammo choices, but be aware that 22 rimfires can
be picky. If you want the best accuracy that the gun is capable of, you
will need to try a wide variety of brands/loads and find what it likes. Then
go buy all of that load/lot number that you can find.

Don't be surprised if what YOUR gun likes isn't the high dollar match ammo.
It could be bulk pack cheap stuff.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #9

Just for $hits and giggles, try some CCI Standard Velosicity and see how it prints.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Milling the boltface to .043 rim depth will minimize headspace. It leaves less "wiggle" room for the ammo in the chamber. My experience has proven that milling the bolt will give a slight edge in accuracy. Also I've noticed that the finished rifle will tend to like the bulk ammo a bit more-not as much as match ammo but better than with the factory setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
I guess I am expecting a bit much to think Velocitor and AR Tactical rounds to perform outstanding results by just looking at statistics but the Velocitor is what I plan to use if I need to do pest control. Lapua and Eley look like they can be pretty accurate on their own so I'll have to get a hold of some of it when I finish the build.

Is it better to free float a barrel or bed it? Most of the stocks I see by just glancing through the options for stocks are free float designs. Which is a better process accuracy-wise?

I did plan on getting a rim-thickness gauge, got that on my tool wish list.
Can you explain why I'd need to mil the boltface to .043 rim thickness? I can do it, I just dont know why is all

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!