Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Question on Remington 510 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/question-remington-510-a-108203/)

TheOldMan 06-27-2014 01:25 AM

Question on Remington 510

Just pulled in a Remington 510 that a client wants restored. Got everything disassembled but for the receiver insert. It looks to be made of aluminum and to my eyes looks like it may be sweated in (soldered). My question is: What is the best way to remove it? I need to prep the barrel and receiver for rust bluing and I want to clean and polish the insert (for better feeding)..

Thanks

hiwall 06-27-2014 01:35 AM

You have separated the barrel and receiver?
It is not welded or soldered in place. I can not remember whether they are pinned or just pressed in place but it seems they were just pressed in.

TheOldMan 06-27-2014 10:39 AM

The barrel and receiver are still together. After looking at it again and doing more research, it "appears" that the insert and barrel share the same two pins and once removed, I can simply pull the barrel and remove the insert.. I'll post some pictures once I pull everything apart.

dteed4094 06-27-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOldMan (Post 1596272)
The barrel and receiver are still together. After looking at it again and doing more research, it "appears" that the insert and barrel share the same two pins and once removed, I can simply pull the barrel and remove the insert.. I'll post some pictures once I pull everything apart.

Just jumped on to see the pictures and would like to see how it turned out.

Que 06-28-2014 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOldMan (Post 1596272)

yes sir that is correct. once the barrel is removed then the insert can be removed.

TheOldMan 06-29-2014 07:58 PM

Pictures and MORE Pictures

6 Attachment(s)
Everything is apart and ready to start the restoration.. I took a lot of photo's but will post just a few that covers pretty much what I've got to start with. The stock btw is toast and a new one should be here tomorrow.

TheOldMan 06-29-2014 08:01 PM

More Pics

6 Attachment(s)
Here are the rest to upload

TheOldMan 07-01-2014 01:53 AM

The new Stock arrived today

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the new stock which came in today. Much nicer than the old one wouldn't you say?

DrFootball 07-01-2014 11:10 AM

Heck yeah it is!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talkh

dteed4094 07-01-2014 11:44 AM

Looks better than my original and mine is in nice shape. Where did you get it, how much $$. My 510 looks gr8 but the barrel is almost in the white.