Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (
-   -   Question about savage 64 assembly (or rifle assembly in general) (

irata 09-21-2008 02:38 AM

Question about savage 64 assembly (or rifle assembly in general)
i diassembled my savage 64 for the first time, following everything step by step and even watching a you tube video showing how to do it.

ive put everything back together, but i seem to be having a problem putting the assembly back into the synthetic stock, or am i even having a problem to begin with?

my problem is that when i insert the assembly into the stock, only the butt end of the assembly can be flush with the stock or the barrel can be flush, not both at the same time; it teeter totters, almost as if something in the middle is preventing the assembly from being completley flush at both ends.

ive but both hex bolts back and tightened, it seems the butt end wants to to tighten even more, casuing the barrel to angle upwards.

is the barrel supposed to have a gap between itself and the very front of the stock? i thought i remember everything being flush, alsmot as if the assembly 'snaps into the stock', with no gaps between the too parties. am i wrong?

Dillinger 09-21-2008 02:51 AM

Do you have any pictures?

It might help the forum members help you diagnose the problem...

irata 09-21-2008 02:57 AM

youre right.. on the way...

irata 09-21-2008 03:14 AM

1. when butt end of assembly is flush with stock:

2. When Barrel end is flush with stock:

3. Barrel end when butt is flush (note gap..)

are both end supposed to be flush, no gaps at both ends?

irata 09-21-2008 03:52 PM

i cant seem to post a reply with pics

seems my post got deleted.

ill try this again.

1. Butt end when flush with stock

2. Barrel end when flush with stock

3. Barrel end when butt is flush with stock (note gap)

sorry for any repeat posts!! i dont understand why my posts are not showing up.

Dillinger 09-21-2008 09:56 PM

irata - As you are new member, any links or pictures need to be moderated prior to posting for public consumption. This is in a constant effort to keep spam down and off the board.

For the next little while, if you want to post something like pictures or links, just PM either myself, bkt, or matt g and we will get the posts on line for you.

irata 09-21-2008 10:27 PM

my apologies dillinger, my broswer redirected me pretty quick after posting, i didnt see the approval by mods message. thanks!

Dillinger 09-21-2008 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by irata (Post 41637)
my apologies dillinger, my broswer redirected me pretty quick after posting, i didnt see the approval by mods message. thanks!

Now sweat bro - It's just an anti-spam tool we use to keep the internetz safe. Once you hit about 30 posts or so, you don't have to worry about it.

The guys here are all good and knowledgable, so someone will be along shortly to address this issue for you, I am sure.

Dillinger 09-21-2008 10:41 PM

It looks like you have a problem with the bottom metal, or perhaps the stock itself.

This isn't a weapon I am familiar with, but just looking at the pictures, it looks like maybe you have put on your bottom metal ( trigger, housing, magazine & housing ?? ) prior to placing the action in the synthetic stock.

Can you give us a couple of pictures of the stock itself and of the action, out of the stock?

Two halves might help the guys diagnose your "whole" problem in this case.

irata 09-21-2008 11:24 PM

i sure can

4. another look at the gap im concerned about:

5. assembly out of stock, assembled:

6. inside of stock

7. assembly, dissasembled: