question about future of .22 long rifle rounds

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > question about future of .22 long rifle rounds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default question about future of .22 long rifle rounds

Hi,
I am new to the Forum.
I know that the government is pushing to get all bullets/shot to be lead free in the next few years.
Have you heard how this will affect .22 long rifle bullets?
right now they are either all lead or lead that is washed in copper.
Will this mean that 22's will be copper or some other material?
if copper, wont this affect velocity & trajectory = accuracy?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2106 Times on 1154 Posts
Likes Given: 629

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/03/31/ammunition_non-lead_ammo_good_for_rifle_bores_033111/

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1847 Times on 1265 Posts
Likes Given: 675

I have only heard CA is pushing to stop shooters from using lead shot. The fact of the matter is lead is inert. Spent bullets will not leach into the soil or water table. I have my soil tested every two years. I shoot a lot in my fields. Lead is always normal in the toxicity part of the test. None of my customers have ever found lead shot or bullets in their hay. Most of my hay goes to racing stables. Every time a horse gets sick a vet has the horses feed and hay tested. My hay has always been free of weeds and toxins. We will not see a federal ban on the use of lead ammo. There is no basis for a ban on lead ammo.

Ca blames hunters for the decline in California condors. Even if the hunter fails to recover his quarry modern ammo passes through the animal. I have no doubt the condors are dying of lead poisoning. The state of CA is blaming hunters to cover up the true cause of the decline in the number of condors.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #4

Default Thank you all for the great info

I really appreciate your time & the info provided.
Happy New Year !!!

Old 01-01-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Ca blames hunters for the decline in California condors. Even if the hunter fails to recover his quarry modern ammo passes through the animal. I have no doubt the condors are dying of lead poisoning. The state of CA is blaming hunters to cover up the true cause of the decline in the number of condors.
I really don't think anyone but the Cali fruits & nut clan and the bird lovers would ever miss an over grown buzzard.
I know I wouldn't !

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 01-01-2014, 03:18 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1847 Times on 1265 Posts
Likes Given: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I really don't think anyone but the Cali fruits & nut clan and the bird lovers would ever miss an over grown buzzard.
I know I wouldn't !
Any animal that eats rotten, stinking meat is a friend of mine. I would find out what is killing my friends, not turn their demise into a way to carry out a political agenda. The true killers of the condors know the animal lovers hear the word lead and go nuts, so they blame hunters and no one looks any further.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-01-2014, 03:24 AM   #7

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I can certainly see a day when we have lead-free bullets. But we will still have bullets. There are lots of other materials that can take the place of lead. So I'm not too worried about it. Back in the day we never would have imagined that most handgun frames would be made out of polimers. But they are now and most people like these guns.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:39 AM   #8
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1954 Times on 1136 Posts
Likes Given: 4093

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I know I wouldn't !
I would not call them bird lovers in California, with those so-called wind turbines killing bald eagles, bats, condors and other birds. Then you have to add the noise they make.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:40 AM   #9

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Hell 20,000 shore birds and piles of Bald eagles have died on the Great Salt Lake. This is due to the West Nile Virus. Vultures die from eating all manner of diseased flesh . Blaming it on lead is an anti hunting tactic.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:53 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 46

The EPA forced the closing of the last lead smelting plant in the United States. It closed at the end of 2013. So...another reason that ammo will be limited, prices will go up...and China and other countries will be happy once we begin sending raw lead to there countries for smelting. Another Obama victory.