Put my first rounds through my 10/22 today... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Put my first rounds through my 10/22 today...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2128 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman55 View Post
If you get a Brownells catalog, they have a wide selection of sights to choose from. If you are going to stay with shooting open sights, I'd change them out for something better that you like.

A scope makes a huge difference in accuracy, if you are going to scope it, the least expensive scope I'd go with would be the Mueller APV. It's a 4 X 14 X 40 AO scope and has very good optics for the price (About$130.00)
Be sure you get a scope that is an AO scope so that you can adjust the parellex for the distance you are shooting at, it makes a huge difference in your groups. If the scope is not correctly set for parellex, anytime you look at the retical from just a slightly different angle, it will change the point of impact, when the parrelex is adjusted right on, the retical won't move from the target when you look through the scope at a slightly different angle.
It's really important. A scope with a parrelex fixed at 75 yards, will only be on at 75 yards, it will be off at any other distance.
The Guys at Rimfirecentral all really like the APV scope. There are better scopes if you want to pay the money, but for the price you will get an AO scope, decent power and good sharpness, right to the edges of the glass and decent light transmission, a lifetime warrenty also.
I used one for a long time before upgrading to a much more expensive scope.

Have fun , John K
We are talking about a stock 10/22 not a target rifle. On my carbines I want something for fast aquisition not precision shooting past the capabilities of the rifle. The big variable is going to be a lot heavier too. My bolt 22 is carrying a 3-12x40 AO. A red dot would work fine on the carbine but I dont like being battery dependent. My shots will be mostly off hand and it sounds like the orignal poster will be using that way too.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:31 AM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'm largely using my Carbine for backyard plinking and target shooting. Cans, paper, and old coffee mugs are my enemy. Maybe a golf ball or charcoal briquettes for a real challenge.

I was doing some minor reading on scopes today, and will probably stick to the 3-9x40 range. More than that and I feel like I'll be buying something that's beyond my available space capablities. We'll see though. I'll check out the two recommended models and see what I can afford.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:56 AM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2128 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Try Necco Wafers. They disintegrate nicely and the ants clean them up. Old outdated aspirin is tougher to hit. I like to use spinner targets at 50 yards. You can download and print a lot of different targets. The small animal targets are fun and good practice.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:22 AM   #14

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I looked at the spinners at the shop I bought my rifle from. I like the idea of them, sinc eit saves a lot of walking back and forth downrange to reset cans and such.