Put my first rounds through my 10/22 today...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Put my first rounds through my 10/22 today...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Put my first rounds through my 10/22 today...

Stopped by my parents' house for a while, and my dad and I put about 100 rounds through my new 10/22. Probably would have fired more, but we were getting a tad frosty with the wind and cold.

First several loads in the factory magazine were a little stiff to chamber. Have the bolt handle a good shove, and it chambered the firts round of ever mag. After about 30 rounds, the mag was loose enough to chamber the first round every time.

Not a huge fan of the factory sights. The golden nib on the fore sight is easy to lose sight of in various light conditions. Also thinking of flipping the rear sight aperature over, so it's just the flat-top side. The double indent in the factory setup was a beast to get sighted in properly.

I was shooting consistently high, so I might have to go one click up, though I'd like to get another 100 rounds through in far tighter groups before I do. We were mostly firing standing, and that's a poor way to get a group.

Once we got bored shootingpaper, we switched to cans. Federal Copper Hollow Points make empty WD40 cans jump! lol.

Anyone else have issues with the factory sights on their 10/22? Anyone use the fiber-optic "glow" sights?

My dad brought out his old Remington Model 33 single-shot, and I think he wants my Ruger. He likes the semi-auto over the old single-shot.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Sounds like a good time.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

never been a fan of any of ruger's leaf sights. normally i just mount a scope on 10/22's

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't have much experience with the 10/22's iron sights since I always scope my rifles. Welcome to the world of 10/22s! If you're shooting high,you need to move the rear sight down.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Good write up. Thanks for the post.

My 10/22 had the scope for the first shot. I have OGE and have to have a scope on all my rifles. That's old guy eyes for you youngsters.

Even for close quarter sticks I put a 1x red dot. And as the condition gets worse I may need to find night sights for the pistols.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 01-10-2011, 04:40 AM   #6

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

On a side note,

Bear Is that an Elk in your avatar? If so, when is my shipment of meat going to get here?

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah it's the 5x6 bull I got in October. We just had elk roast for supper last night. Come to the spring Ky meet and you can have all you can eat.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2374 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 680

I have my 10/22's equipped with these scopes. Very fast target aquisition.
Konus 2.5x32 Konuspro Shotgun Scope

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #9

If you get a Brownells catalog, they have a wide selection of sights to choose from. If you are going to stay with shooting open sights, I'd change them out for something better that you like.

A scope makes a huge difference in accuracy, if you are going to scope it, the least expensive scope I'd go with would be the Mueller APV. It's a 4 X 14 X 40 AO scope and has very good optics for the price (About$130.00)
Be sure you get a scope that is an AO scope so that you can adjust the parellex for the distance you are shooting at, it makes a huge difference in your groups. If the scope is not correctly set for parellex, anytime you look at the retical from just a slightly different angle, it will change the point of impact, when the parrelex is adjusted right on, the retical won't move from the target when you look through the scope at a slightly different angle.
It's really important. A scope with a parrelex fixed at 75 yards, will only be on at 75 yards, it will be off at any other distance.
The Guys at Rimfirecentral all really like the APV scope. There are better scopes if you want to pay the money, but for the price you will get an AO scope, decent power and good sharpness, right to the edges of the glass and decent light transmission, a lifetime warrenty also.
I used one for a long time before upgrading to a much more expensive scope.

Have fun , John K

Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Yeah it's the 5x6 bull I got in October. We just had elk roast for supper last night. Come to the spring Ky meet and you can have all you can eat.
Fantastic Elk, I'd be proud of that one.
Eating elk meat is the best. I hate it when I run out and have to eat beef. I'd eat nothing but elk for red meat given the choice.

Enjoy that baby. I'm going to have to defrost some elk meat for dinner tonight, you made me really hungry for some.

John K