Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Put my first rounds through my 10/22 today... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/put-my-first-rounds-through-my-10-22-today-36685/)

therhino 01-09-2011 08:47 PM

Put my first rounds through my 10/22 today...

Stopped by my parents' house for a while, and my dad and I put about 100 rounds through my new 10/22. Probably would have fired more, but we were getting a tad frosty with the wind and cold.

First several loads in the factory magazine were a little stiff to chamber. Have the bolt handle a good shove, and it chambered the firts round of ever mag. After about 30 rounds, the mag was loose enough to chamber the first round every time.

Not a huge fan of the factory sights. The golden nib on the fore sight is easy to lose sight of in various light conditions. Also thinking of flipping the rear sight aperature over, so it's just the flat-top side. The double indent in the factory setup was a beast to get sighted in properly.

I was shooting consistently high, so I might have to go one click up, though I'd like to get another 100 rounds through in far tighter groups before I do. We were mostly firing standing, and that's a poor way to get a group.

Once we got bored shootingpaper, we switched to cans. Federal Copper Hollow Points make empty WD40 cans jump! lol.

Anyone else have issues with the factory sights on their 10/22? Anyone use the fiber-optic "glow" sights?

My dad brought out his old Remington Model 33 single-shot, and I think he wants my Ruger. He likes the semi-auto over the old single-shot. ;)

CA357 01-09-2011 09:15 PM

Sounds like a good time. :cool:

JonM 01-09-2011 09:18 PM

never been a fan of any of ruger's leaf sights. normally i just mount a scope on 10/22's

stalkingbear 01-09-2011 10:29 PM

I don't have much experience with the 10/22's iron sights since I always scope my rifles. Welcome to the world of 10/22s! If you're shooting high,you need to move the rear sight down.

Jo da Plumbr 01-09-2011 10:53 PM

Good write up. Thanks for the post.

My 10/22 had the scope for the first shot. I have OGE and have to have a scope on all my rifles. That's old guy eyes for you youngsters.:eek:

Even for close quarter sticks I put a 1x red dot. And as the condition gets worse I may need to find night sights for the pistols.:mad:

DarinCraft 01-10-2011 03:40 AM

On a side note,

Bear Is that an Elk in your avatar? If so, when is my shipment of meat going to get here?:p

stalkingbear 01-10-2011 02:56 PM

Yeah it's the 5x6 bull I got in October. We just had elk roast for supper last night. Come to the spring Ky meet and you can have all you can eat.

JTJ 01-10-2011 03:02 PM

I have my 10/22's equipped with these scopes. Very fast target aquisition.
Konus 2.5x32 Konuspro Shotgun Scope

rifleman55 01-10-2011 06:01 PM

If you get a Brownells catalog, they have a wide selection of sights to choose from. If you are going to stay with shooting open sights, I'd change them out for something better that you like.

A scope makes a huge difference in accuracy, if you are going to scope it, the least expensive scope I'd go with would be the Mueller APV. It's a 4 X 14 X 40 AO scope and has very good optics for the price (About$130.00)
Be sure you get a scope that is an AO scope so that you can adjust the parellex for the distance you are shooting at, it makes a huge difference in your groups. If the scope is not correctly set for parellex, anytime you look at the retical from just a slightly different angle, it will change the point of impact, when the parrelex is adjusted right on, the retical won't move from the target when you look through the scope at a slightly different angle.
It's really important. A scope with a parrelex fixed at 75 yards, will only be on at 75 yards, it will be off at any other distance.
The Guys at Rimfirecentral all really like the APV scope. There are better scopes if you want to pay the money, but for the price you will get an AO scope, decent power and good sharpness, right to the edges of the glass and decent light transmission, a lifetime warrenty also.
I used one for a long time before upgrading to a much more expensive scope.

Have fun ;), John K

rifleman55 01-10-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 419348)
Yeah it's the 5x6 bull I got in October. We just had elk roast for supper last night. Come to the spring Ky meet and you can have all you can eat.

Fantastic Elk, I'd be proud of that one.
Eating elk meat is the best. I hate it when I run out and have to eat beef. I'd eat nothing but elk for red meat given the choice.

Enjoy that baby. I'm going to have to defrost some elk meat for dinner tonight, you made me really hungry for some.

John K