pump action, awesome? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > pump action, awesome?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Tried a lever action for Saturday's comp (I'd never actually see one before) and I have to say woot! much faster than a bolt action. Fun.

Not that it made any difference to my crap score, heh. Operator error will always work against the best of tools

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 03-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In 1949 I was given a Remington Mdl 121 pump 22 LR. I had a Weaver J 4 scope mounted on it. Because of the fast reloading as a kid I learned how to hit running jack rabbits with it . I shot a bunch of prairie dogs with that rife..A few years ago I got a like new one at a gun show that was made in 1948. When I got home from the gun show I loaded it up ,set a tin can out at about 25 yards and shot the can up jest like did with my first 22 pump back in 1949.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuck2 View Post
In 1949 I was given a Remington Mdl 121 pump 22 LR. I had a Weaver J 4 scope mounted on it. Because of the fast reloading as a kid I learned how to hit running jack rabbits with it . I shot a bunch of prairie dogs with that rife..A few years ago I got a like new one at a gun show that was made in 1948. When I got home from the gun show I loaded it up ,set a tin can out at about 25 yards and shot the can up jest like did with my first 22 pump back in 1949.

Great story!

Makes me yearn that such things were possible for kids here (like they were, 'once upon a time' )

Quote:
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 03-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Zhuk, you're laws really are mind bogling. Can you guys have semi auto rifles or is that too much fire power for one individual? I personally never could get into pump action rifles but if I were in your shoes, I'd be all over one.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #15

Liked 132 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeep2002 View Post
I just bought a remington 572 at the gun show that just past and I have not got to fire it yet plus it is my first gun just to find a place to shoot it that doesn't cost $180 to be a member. the main reason I bought this gun is that it was a pump action .22 and it was a remington.
i read this and i immediately thought "is this guy in IL?" , look over, sure enough bourbonais...i only know cause i was filling out the ISRA range membership (in bonfield,IL)the other day...haha...i know kind of frustrating...

we all waiting for the buffalo range in ottawa to open in april, thats one of the better options around here from what i've been told.

and i cant imagine a pump .22 not being a crapload of fun....

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Old 03-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Zhuk, you're laws really are mind bogling. Can you guys have semi auto rifles or is that too much fire power for one individual? I personally never could get into pump action rifles but if I were in your shoes, I'd be all over one.

Semi-autos? Nyet. Which with my enduring AK-fascination is pretty galling I have to say.

I haven't gone into this on the forum before, but a lil bit of background to the ban, so bear with me if you can:

Supposedly, *semis/autos/pump-action shotguns/handguns with less than 5" barrels & more than 10rnd mags* were banned due to the 1996 Port Arthur massacre - where a young man with the mental age of 8yrs, 6 months total firearm experience, managed to kill 35 with 64 shots total, 19 of those victims in less than 20 secs all with perfect headshots fired from the hip, with an AR & FN. (Ha he should have been an Olympian!)

But a whole raft of very weird stuff went down...no coronial inquest or trial...no examining of crime scene evidence. Howard had the cafe where it happened razed to the ground 2 days later, as to leave it standing would have been "too painful for the families". What a crock. This guy was sentenced to life on the pretext of a "confession" and is not allowed any visitors...not even family...only the prison psych which is strange since he was assessed as sane to be able to sign a confession. Our assorted serial killers in Supermax don't have those sort of restrictions...the whole thing has a decidedly political stench. Check out this gem:

"There will never be uniform Gun Laws in Australia until we see a massacre somewhere in Tasmania" - Barry Unsworth, NSW Premier, December, 1987 at a conference in Hobart.

^^Now why the f would anyone say that in 1987??

Port Arthur Massacre Setup - False flag to ban guns in Aus, page 1
Port Arthur Coverup by Ian McNiven - Information About The Deception & Coverup At Port Arthur | Love for Life

Just before I get off this soapbox, I gotta say: THIS kinda thing is why you guys in the US need to fight all you can to retain the rights you have. Fight the creeping forces which threaten to disarm you. We have never had any 'right' to own/use firearms in the first place (it is considerd a 'privilege' conferred by the Police Commissioner, not a 'right).

So you really need to be vigilant, guys. I can't stress this enough...

OK, phew. What was your question again, spitty? Oh yeah

So it's bolt or pump action rifles only. But not shotguns. Makes no damn sense at all...but then our stupid laws were never designed to. It was all purely a political excercise by that well-known hoplophobe (thanks to CA for that term!), John effing Howard.

Not that the majority minded in the slightest; anti-gun kool-aid runs strong in the population's veins here

Quote:

Old 03-19-2010, 02:04 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

can you guys not have lever guns down under? I'd pick a lever action in a rifle over a pump any day.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Indeed we can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1588 View Post
can you guys not have lever guns down under? I'd pick a lever action in a rifle over a pump any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Tried a lever action for Saturday's comp (I'd never actually see one before) and I have to say woot! much faster than a bolt action. Fun.
But a lever-action .22 would have to go to the end of my as-yet theoretical shopping list. The handgun (& then a .223 rifle) have to come first

Quote:

Old 03-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #19

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1588 View Post
lol, my 12 gauge threw an old hp printer back about 2 or 3 feet. It kind of rolled.
hahahahhaaa!!! I did the same thing with an old HP printer that kept eating paper and jamming. I have a box of hard drives that make for great targets too. The drivers make great rifle targets.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
hahahahhaaa!!! I did the same thing with an old HP printer that kept eating paper and jamming. I have a box of hard drives that make for great targets too. The drivers make great rifle targets.

Damn, taking out various types of technology that piss you off? Sounds most enjoyable, satisfying & catharthic. Get your own back, heh! Wish we could do that here

Quote: