Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Problem with a Henry Lever action .22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Problem with a Henry Lever action .22

Alright so I work part time in a sports store and although I love using my Ruger 10/22 and Remington LSS i am not a gun nut. I don't hunt I simply do target, trap and skeet shooting (not that I have anything against hunting). I worked with an older guy who was incredibly knowledgeable about firearms had a massive collection as well as being a former marine, he taught me a lot and I would ask him this but his is at the shot show and I have yet to reach him. Here is the issue I had a customer come in with a Henry .22 LR Lever action he said he purchased 22LRs (he brought in the box, it was the 500 rd. box Winchester Xpert's) and that they seemed to long for the chamber and that he couldn't get the gun to shoot I measured up one of the rounds he was talking about and it was a standard 22 LR. He is bringing the rifle by today to maybe take a look at the problem, so what could it be or what should I look for I hate to just say to the guy call Henry but I am limited to what I can do (obviously cant load it up in the store). Anyway is there anything I can do common issues or plugs or anything I should look for? I probably won't be able to help but maybe I can make it right by calling Henry direct and getting him an RMA or direct help. Sorry for my first post being a question but hopefully you guys can help thanks in advance for any advice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I suggest going to rimfire central . com forum section and scroll down to the henry section and ask there. I have both 22 lr and 22 mag lever rifles and have never had a problem with them. Also if you call henry you will probably have the president of the company answer the phone and i guarantee he will help you out !!! As far as your problem goes I've never heard or read of this happening . Hope this helps. O.D.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:45 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's absolutely impossible to know for SURE exactly what's wrong with it without actually seeing the combo. it sounds like either bad chamber or wrong ammo (ie .22 mag in .22LR chamber).

Old 01-25-2009, 11:59 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

One other thing to look for is the 22 Lr loading tube spring bottom is orange and the 22 mag is black. Both guns are ALMOST the same. I have the H001m and my son has the h001 and it can get confusing when taking them from the gun cabinet . The only way I can tell them apart is the hammer spur as my son shoots left handed.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #5

When I shoot mine with Stingers I have to push hard to get the round to chamber. Winchester X-perts should chamber fine.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #6

my henry also does not like winchester Xperts. it just will not chamber them. instead of the nose of the round going up so that it can slide into the chamber, the nose drops down into the action. it cycles fine with yellow jacket, american eagle, and cci green tag. it just does not like winchester xpert. does not make sense to me. just shows that each gun can be an individual.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Never had a problem with mine. It chambers every .22lr made. And I have shot a brick of Winchester Xpert .22's through it. It prefers Federal 550 Value Pack ammo for accuracy. Maybe the customer doesn't know what he's talking about? He might have the .17 HMR version instead of the .22LR...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"