preferred action
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > preferred action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default preferred action

i am curious as to what everyone prefers. bolt? revolver? semi? break?

also if you were getting someone a first gun what action/model would it be?

i have shot semi and revolver hand guns as well as lever and break rifles (actually, the break is a combo rifle/shotgun) and i prefer the break partly because that is the one i own (the other 3 were my uncle's) and partly because you have no choice but to take the gun out of shooting position to reload whereas you have several more shots with the other 3.
if i was shopping for someones first gun it would likely be a break as well but that has nothing to do with the number of rounds per loading, its because they are very simple and easy to clean.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

semi auto for rifles and break action for shotguns, and revolver for pistols. if i were getting someone a first gun it would either a marlin .22 simply because of the reliability or a ruger .22 for the same reason, or i would get a break action 410 shotgun for there first gun, break actions are very easy to maintain and clean, very simple to use and go bang every time you load it.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Revolvers are handguns, pistols are handguns.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If I'm shooting comp I use a old bolt action but for plinking, hunting, and everything else I use a semi auto. If I'm hunting frogs or what not I use the bolt action it's the only thing I have that shoot 22 shorts. The only lever action I've seen in 22 was my gramps BSA 22 commertive lever, really nice but I wouldn't dare shoot it.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 01-03-2011, 01:04 AM   #5

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Revolver, lever, pump for shotgun

Old 01-03-2011, 01:59 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5510 Times on 2877 Posts
Likes Given: 358

i prefer semi-auto for rifles and pistols. for shotgun i like side by side or pump. i have one revolver a colt python. 3 bolt guns a rem 700 .308, cz550 458 LOTT, win mod 70 458 winmag. everything ele is semi-auto. some day i will add a colt M16A1 select fire.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-03-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Bolt action all the way! Especially for new shooters. Semi-auto can lead to bad habits as we all enjoy rattling off rounds. The simple action of working the bolt or a lever action creates a pause which can be used to readjust and helps to slow down the mind so you think.

Lastly...I like the nostalgia of a bolt or lever. I enjoy working the action and I get a lot less...almost none...F2F's. I think you will find a lot of younger guys like the semi-auto. They play lots of video games and seem to have an affinity with AR/tactical style rifles. Same with hand guns. When I go to the range I see this pattern a lot and the sale of guns seem to be inline with this. Makes me happy...more bolt and levers available for me!

Last edited by northhike; 01-03-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 565

A lot depends on what you are shooting at. For long range or precision, the bolt usually wins out. I have several bolt rifles. For quick shooting, the semi auto is popular but slides and levers are quick too. I always liked the levers but just picked up a slide action 22. I had been thinking of getting a lever 22 when I ran into the slide. My defense shotgun is a slide (pump) so I thought it would be good to have both. A lot less recoil with the 22. When I was hunting pheasant, I prefered a double.
I am a fan of single shot rifles and used to hunt with a Ruger 1A in 06 and a Ruger #3 in 45-70. I never did get to shoot anything with the 45-70 but the 1A took 4 deer. The last deer I shot was with a lever action Savage 99 in 308.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

There's something about a nice bolt handle and the feel of ejecting a case and chambering the next round. I kind of agree that bolt action will help teach you to be a good shooter. I learned to hunt with a single-shot BA 22 so I had to make that first round count.

As for the other choices, I like em all. (Great username, BTW)

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Last edited by 7point62; 01-03-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #10

I just started shooting last week, and I noticed that I was shooting better with my bolt action than with the semi. But it could have been the gun. I think that the bolt action encourages a new shooter (me) to take more time and concentrate between shots.