Pre-warning ruger 10/22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Pre-warning ruger 10/22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
BTI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pre-warning ruger 10/22

I have an opportunity to buy a 1973 ruger 10-22 pre-warning rifle. The cost is a little less then a new but not enough to be a factor. Does any one have an experience, good or bad, with the pre-warning rugers?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've got one from 1968 that is a real keeper. The new ones these days use composites and plastics in many places, but not so from the time when yours was made. The quality of the wood on the walnut stock is also better than today's birch ones. It may be just my opinion, but the older ones with completely factory original parts shoot better than the new ones too.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:14 AM   #3

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I have one from 1971 that I purchased new when I was 16 for the huge sum of around $50. For me that was 3 months of bucking hay from out of the fields at $0.03 a bale. Of course purchasing a gun back then, didn't require paper work for the Guberment. I also long ago did a couple custom touches to mine, when NOBODY made any aftermarket accessories for the 10/22. I took off the barrel band and metal butt plate and polished them back somewhere in 1972. Also Tru-Oiled the walnut stock. Other than that and adding a scope and a sling to rifle, she's original and still shoots great. If you don't know what a older(before 1980) Ruger 10/22 shoots like, you need to experience the nostalgia and accuracy that Ruger once gave.
Del

Old 03-09-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
BTI

Sold. I pick it up this weekend. Thanks for the input.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I bought my 10/22 new back around 1979. Up until this thread, I have not been aware of the term "pre-warning". Can someone explain it to me?

Thanks...

Old 03-09-2012, 02:51 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusTFirefly View Post
I bought my 10/22 new back around 1979. Up until this thread, I have not been aware of the term "pre-warning". Can someone explain it to me?

Thanks...
It started appearing on the barrels of 10/22's and other Ruger firearms around 1978. Ruger's lawyers felt that everyone needed a warning about the dangers inherent with the the use of firearms.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #7

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
It started appearing on the barrels of 10/22's and other Ruger firearms around 1978. Ruger's lawyers felt that everyone needed a warning about the dangers inherent with the the use of firearms.
Even squirrels??? Squirrels can't read...can they??? SHEESH!!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 03-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #8

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Plus those earlier rifle had anadized recievers not the painted junk of today. Now the plastic trigger houseing really ain't a big deal. they both have pro's and con's. Let that nice metal trigger guard hit somethin solid in a fall and it may break in several pieces . Not so with the palstic. Both work well with all the trigger upgrades. You can also use brake cleaner with out worry of the damd paint comeing off. But the new ones are easy to polish to a high shine. Clean that barrel real well and see how it shots. May be better than newest barrels.