Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Possible Winchester thumb trigger (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/possible-winchester-thumb-trigger-23377/)

Win6123 02-13-2010 12:16 PM

Possible Winchester thumb trigger

Hello, I am new to Firearmstalk and this is my first post. I recently came across what I thought was a Winchester thumb trigger model. I am a Winchester fan, but have never delt with any of the "little boys guns". I had heard of the thumb trigger model, but had never seen one. The gun was in great shape and I told the seller I would think about it and get back to him. Once I got home an did some research, I realized that the actually thumb trigger and is a model 99. The gun I was looking at did not say thumb trigger model and was stamped 1902. The only answer I could come up with was that the gun had been re-barreled. I thought I would take it to the experts and see if you all have any helpful info. Thanks.

canebrake 02-13-2010 12:41 PM

Does this help? Sounds like the thumb trigger was made in 1902.

big shrek 02-13-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Win6123 (Post 229899)
Hello, I am new to Firearmstalk and this is my first post. I recently came across what I thought was a Winchester thumb trigger model. I am a Winchester fan, but have never delt with any of the "little boys guns". I had heard of the thumb trigger model, but had never seen one. The gun was in great shape and I told the seller I would think about it and get back to him. Once I got home an did some research, I realized that the actually thumb trigger and is a model 99. The gun I was looking at did not say thumb trigger model and was stamped 1902. The only answer I could come up with was that the gun had been re-barreled. I thought I would take it to the experts and see if you all have any helpful info. Thanks.

The thumb-trigger models came about due to so many vets having their finger's blown off in the various wars between 1860-1902.

They were MFR'd between 1904-1923.

The "Winchester - (1904) 99 Thumb-Trigger Bolt-Action Single-Shot Rifle" was fired by pressing a button with the thumb behind the cocking piece. Similar to a model 1902.

The model 1902 is listed as a "Improved model 1900". The 1900 was only made for 3 years.
Which usually means they found a fatal flaw somewhere & redid it.

Win6123 02-13-2010 09:49 PM

Thanks for the replies. If any one else has any knowledge or information about this gun, please let me know. Its looking like the gun was peaced together.

big shrek 02-15-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Win6123 (Post 230153)
Thanks for the replies. If any one else has any knowledge or information about this gun, please let me know. Its looking like the gun was peaced together.

Pics, post lots of pics :)

That way we can see what's there...

But don't be surprised when an old gun has repairs...used to be folks made things WORK, until they were beyond all hope.
A reliable .22 can take almost anything in the 48 states, given proper shot placement and desperation..