Plinking & Good Times - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Plinking & Good Times

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 761 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 274

Ok. Made it back from the range without either gun exploding. So that's a good way to start.

Dialed in the M&P at 25 yds. Tried out CCI Quiet, Rem Thunderbolt, & Win Super X. The CCI didn't make it 10 rounds. Not one casing would eject. Both the Rem & Win had flawless performances.

Got it dialed in pretty quickly with the Rex Optics scope on it. This thing is going to be a LOT of fun to shoot!!
image-2364096069.jpg
image-1652597821.jpg

The Winchester Model 60A was not quite the same story. It has some firing pin/bolt issues to work out still. I think the spring inside the bolt needs to be replaced. It just didn't have the forward force to strike the primer hard enough or on the rim enough to discharge. I got off 5 rounds before packing it up to tinker with later. Still should be a great plinker when I'm done.

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com

Last edited by LongBaller71; 11-03-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Blueguns Likes This 
Old 11-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #12

Liked 1613 Times on 965 Posts
Likes Given: 359

I couldn't agree with the OP any more!

The .22 is a great rifle, or pistol as far as that goes. I taught myself to shoot revolvers with a cheap old .22 revolver and a bunch of ammo. The skills all transfered to centerfire guns.

I recently bought a Chinese JW-15, bolt action .22. It was inexpensive and a deadly accurate rifle and a great pleasure to punch paper with. After the local squirrels saw me shooing it, they all packed up and moved.

While everyone seems so hot on 10/22s, I actually gave my 10/22 to my adult son after buying a $75.00 used Winchester model 190; a great .22 semi-auto. I just don't know how you could beat this rifle; it has a 15 round tube magazine and was more reliable then the 10/22.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

People Like This 
Old 11-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have a Marlin 60, and a Ruger 10-22, and enjoy both of them. But the .22 rifle that I shot as a kid, and thanks to my dad giving it to me, instead of one of my brothers, is My Winchester model 72. It is an older gun, bought by my grandfather, gave to my dad, and I now have it. I cannot even imagine how many rounds have went through it. I know, as a kid, I would buy a box of 50, everytime I got to town, and zip right through them. It is tube fed, and bolt action. I have the original iron sights on it. I can still take squirrls, rabbits, and cans at a hundred yards all day long. It is a hoot to shoot.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:31 AM   #14

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Longballer, That 60a you restored looked pretty awesome, I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to get it firing consistently. I'm interested to know what the problem is, and to see it good working order. Keep us posted! That 15-22 shot a nice group it looks like a fun gun.

OldEagle, I'm glad to hear you like the 15-22. I think it's cool that you load it 4/1 like you did in the military. Also I didn't know you were a vet, thank you for your service.

7PointSixTwo, I've heard that a lot about 61s, but I've also heard a lot the Coney Island type places stopped using 61s and opted for cheaper rifles. Any truth to that?

-Matt

Old 11-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #15

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBaller71 View Post
Ok. Made it back from the range without either gun exploding. So that's a good way to start.

The Winchester Model 60A was not quite the same story. It has some firing pin/bolt issues to work out still. I think the spring inside the bolt needs to be replaced. It just didn't have the forward force to strike the primer hard enough or on center. I got off 5 rounds before packing it up to tinker with later. Still should be a great plinker when I'm done.
Errmmm It's a rimfire the firing pin is supposed to strike the edge of the cartridge.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #16

Liked 761 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow

Errmmm It's a rimfire the firing pin is supposed to strike the edge of the cartridge.
LoL. Good catch. That was probably the dumbest thing I said all day.

But It still needs to strike in enough to set off the primer right? It was barely touching the edge. And with barely enough force to leave a mark.

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com

Old 11-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #17

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I've been plinking since I was 5 years old - I'll be 52 in a few months. Here is a shot of my fairly new Savage FV-SR. i can cover that group with a quarter.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by priell3
I've been plinking since I was 5 years old - I'll be 52 in a few months. Here is a shot of my fairly new Savage FV-SR. i can cover that group with a quarter.
That's a nice shooter right there!

-Matt

Old 11-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #19

Liked 62 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I never cease to be amazed at how many folks got started in shooting by their grandfathers! There is a commonality that binds us all together; grandfathers and .22 rimfires! I'm even going to wager that most of these introductions to firearms took place on family farms or small, rural towns. I have great memories of my Grandad helping me set up a "sniper position" at the edge of a soybean field so I could take out the groundhogs that were feasting on our beans. I was twelve-years-old out there on an old tarp under some buckbrush with the Springfield loaded with .22 Longs, the sight ramp set for 75 yards, some old gunny sack strips draped over the barrel as the gun rested in shooting position on the mounded dirt of a dead furrow. I had a Mason jar of iced tea and a tin lunch box filled with cold chicken and chocolate cupcakes from my Grandmother's kitchen. I lay there in the heat of a Missouri July Sunday until, as the shadows were growing long and the cicadas were roaring in the trees, the woodchucks came out for supper. I slipped beside the gun and settled the butt into my shoulder, my thumb sliding the safety off and my finger finding the trigger. It was still hot enough to make the 'chucks image kind of wavy as I acquired my sight picture (a scope was an unheard-of luxury for a family farm in the 50's) but the animals seemed relaxed and ready for their evening meal of soybeans. I could only see one clearly, he was in a typical rodent crouch apparently deciding on which row of beans to devour. I took a breath, let it out, and squeezed the trigger as my Grandfather had coached me. The flat crack of the rifle silenced the cicadas and the groundhog rose slightly from his crouch, then toppled over. The second animal, startled by the event, made the mistake of sitting up, nubby little ears and fairly useless eyes on alert. I shifted the barrel of the Springfield a couple of degrees...and his soybean poaching days were also over.
That night, the Springfield cleaned and my "sniper-stuff" put away in the barn; my Grandfather made me understand that killing those groundhogs was not an act of random violence. He told me that by eating our soybeans they were a threat to our crop and therefore to our family's welfare. I went to bed that night proud of both my marksmanship and that I had done something for the family that meant so much to me. And incredibly happy that I had pleased my Grandfather.
Grandfathers and .22's; I think we have found another American tradition!

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

Last edited by OldEagleEars; 11-05-2012 at 06:20 AM.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars
Grandfathers and .22's; I think we have found another American tradition!
You are spot on there! I remember the first gun I ever shot was with my dad, it was an old O/U 20ga. And as you know my grandfather gave me first .22. He gave it to me after I passed my Hunters Safety course. I remember it being him, my dad, and myself all out shooting together, trying to get the tightest grouping on a sheet of paper with a circle drawn on it. I don't think I'll ever forget that day.

My grandfather also sent me a Red Ryder BB gun that used to be my dads. I remember getting it for Christmas when I was 6 or 7. It had the words "Dead Eye" etched by my grandfather, to my dad when it was his gun. I probably never would have gotten into shooting if it wasn't for my grandfather.

One day I hope to pass that old model 61 to a grandson of mine after he passes his Hunters Safety course. If he appreciates it as much as I have, I'll be one proud grandad!

-Matt

Last edited by Blueguns; 11-06-2012 at 12:53 AM.