Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Plinker question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/plinker-question-85598/)

muscledom 03-02-2013 03:56 PM

Plinker question

I wanna get one. I saw one that looked like an MP5 that I like. My question is what brands are good and what are trash. My dad bought a mossberg m16 looking one and it sucks. Can't get three shots off without a jam. He recently got a ruger 1022 that works perfect. I want one that works well and looks cool. Anything to watch out for?

Gatoragn 03-02-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscledom (Post 1160550)
I wanna get one. I saw one that looked like an MP5 that I like. My question is what brands are good and what are trash. My dad bought a mossberg m16 looking one and it sucks. Can't get three shots off without a jam. He recently got a ruger 1022 that works perfect. I want one that works well and looks cool. Anything to watch out for?

I have a Mossberg tactical plinker, it works great for me. Magazine is a little cheesy, but it shoots great.

Has your father tried different types of ammo?

What are the issues? Fail to feed, fail to eject, stovepipe?

nixfix 03-02-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscledom

Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22, never had any issues with it.

muscledom 03-02-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatoragn

I have a Mossberg tactical plinker, it works great for me. Magazine is a little cheesy, but it shoots great.

Has your father tried different types of ammo?

What are the issues? Fail to feed, fail to eject, stovepipe?

Ummm idk if he's tried different ammo but I cleaned it and it helped a bit. It fails to feed and doesn't eject properly.

muscledom 03-02-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nixfix

Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22, never had any issues with it.

Cool thanks

Gatoragn 03-02-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscledom (Post 1160611)
Ummm idk if he's tried different ammo but I cleaned it and it helped a bit. It fails to feed and doesn't eject properly.

I shot Blazer and Federal bulk pack ammo in my Mossberg with great results. I think your father's trouble is ammo related.

No doubt the S&W 15-22 is a better gun. The Ruger 10-22 would serve you well also.

muscledom 03-02-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatoragn

I shot Blazer and Federal bulk pack ammo in my Mossberg with great results. I think your father's trouble is ammo related.

No doubt the S&W 15-22 is a better gun. The Ruger 10-22 would serve you well also.

Thanks ill let him know. I think we were shooting CPI standard velocity.

drtybrd97 03-02-2013 09:13 PM

H&K have an MP5 lookalike and a copy of their 416 that look cool and from what I researched they preform very well too. They are made by Walther and imported by Umarex. I really liked the 416 because it is all aluminum mostly. Feels like you have something in your hand if you know what I mean. The M&P is awesome as well. I got a 10/22 as a Christmas gift and I am very happy with the gun. They are the Honda civic of guns. If you don't like the way it looks buy another stock! There are tons of possibilities with the 10/22.

sdiver35 03-02-2013 09:20 PM

Try a Sig 522. Mine runs flawlessly no matter what ammo I run through it.

moron88 03-02-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscledom (Post 1160781)
Thanks ill let him know. I think we were shooting CPI standard velocity.

right there is likely the issue. with semi autos, you need the recoil of high velocity rounds to get reliable cycling and feeding. some can function reliably with subsonic (standard velocity) rounds but unless they are specified, probably not.

along with the guns already mentioned, you may want to look at the marlin 60/795 (one has a detachable box mag and the other has a tube mag) and savage 64. these arent "tacticool" guns but they are decent, affordable and accurate semi autos made in the usa.