Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Picking the right .22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Picking the right .22

I really want to buy a .22 for small game hunting. The problem is I don't have that much money, and I don't really know what to look for. I've shot .22's hundreds of time, but I don't know what to look for, especially for small game hunting. Please reply

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime
Chinese Proverb

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2010, 12:46 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Are you wanting a bolt action or a semiauto? What's your budget? Planning on scoping it or going to use the iron sites?

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpRtN2012 View Post
I really want to buy a .22 for small game hunting. The problem is I don't have that much money, and I don't really know what to look for. I've shot .22's hundreds of time, but I don't know what to look for, especially for small game hunting. Please reply
Probably the best thing to do is go to your local gun shop and handle as many .22's as you can. You will immediately know which guns you don't want and that will simplify things by narrowing down the choices. Generally bolt actions will shoot the most accurately, followed by lever guns, then semi autos. I know you said you don't have much money to spend but if you decide to fit a scope, try to get a rimfire version of good quality. I find it's usually best to splurge a little, rather than buy something cheap first, then have to replace it later for something better. For your first .22, I would stick with the .22 Standard Rimfire as opposed to the .22 Rimfire Magnum for the simple reason that the ammo will cost less and will likely shoot more accurately. I hope this helps.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:18 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

There's quite a few rimfires for around $200 or less. You could always try a Henry. Very accurate and smooth lever action. Plus it's made in the USA.

9x18=Makarov

Old 03-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
There's quite a few rimfires for around $200 or less. You could always try a Henry. Very accurate and smooth lever action. Plus it's made in the USA.
Never seen one of these around me for under $200. I bought mine for $270 and that the cheapest ive seen, dont know if this has anything to do with it but i live in N.C.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #6

By the way, Check out a marlin model 60. I just bought one (very nice rifle) the are about $160 around my area and you could also check out a marlin model 795 (Clip version with synthetic stock) they go for about $125 and their is a deal with marlin where on that particular model you get $25 off which makes it a $100 gun. NOT BAD AT ALL FOR A MARLIN... Check it out

Old 03-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madderdaddy View Post
Never seen one of these around me for under $200. I bought mine for $270 and that the cheapest ive seen, dont know if this has anything to do with it but i live in N.C.
Might be your place of purchase more than place of residence. I bought mine from WalMart a couple of years ago. With the Salesman of the Year increasing guns sales though, maybe the prices are higher....

9x18=Makarov

Old 03-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
jbd

i really like the ruger 10/22. you should check them out very rugged and reliable. like someone said go to the local gun shop and see what feels good.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Might be your place of purchase more than place of residence. I bought mine from WalMart a couple of years ago. With the Salesman of the Year increasing guns sales though, maybe the prices are higher....
Got mine at walmart too. But prices have gone up drastically in the past few years.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a Remmington 522 Viper Rifle. It looks exactly like this one: http://pictures.auctionarms.com/2288061128/9490021/8d8316c0270bae1081118296b48a2bf8.jpg
The accuracy is really good and it is pretty reliable. I have had it for 3 or 4 years and I have discharged maybe 2,000 rounds or more through it w/o a problem. I also bought it used so it has had more rounds than that put through it.
I think it was 150$ w/o the scope. I saw one at the flea market for 80$ last year. I only have one problem with it, the mags are impossible to find. I spent 40$ on getting a second magazine.

Other than that, it is an awesome gun!

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown